Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 10-06-2002, 12:15 AM   #26
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

AHhh!!! Yeh I first saw one of them on a P-133 Micron PC yeh nice score

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2002, 12:54 AM   #27
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by sunblade
Angled barbs might be too hard to use/install in reality tho...
Actually it is possible to do with out having angled barbs. It would take some time and milling but if you took a square chunk of copper and drilled/milled out the center with a hole that would fit tightly enough around the round HS you could drill a hole sidways through the copper and then another strait down to intersect and but a barb on top, then for the other side drill a hole on the bottom sideways and then another strait down to intersect and another barb on top. Then thread and cap the side drilled holes. water would then swirl down or up the block and out the outlet! I don't think it would be a performance king but it would be cool non the less.

here is a quick half assed drawing of what I mean:

[edit] BAH!!! Nevermind. I see the thing doesn't spiral. [/edit]
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2002, 07:02 AM   #28
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116
Actually it is possible to do with out having angled barbs. It would take some time and milling but if you took a square chunk of copper and drilled/milled out the center with a hole that would fit tightly enough around the round HS you could drill a hole sidways through the copper and then another strait down to intersect and but a barb on top, then for the other side drill a hole on the bottom sideways and then another strait down to intersect and another barb on top. Then thread and cap the side drilled holes. water would then swirl down or up the block and out the outlet! I don't think it would be a performance king but it would be cool non the less.

[edit] BAH!!! Nevermind. I see the thing doesn't spiral. [/edit]
Actually, I think I know where your coming from. I will try to make a better picture, and post it in another thread.

Bob
Unread 10-27-2002, 05:08 PM   #29
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Default Bump...

Well, I thought I'd bring this back from the dead with a new idea...

What if I drilled out the bottom of the "tower" section, and pressed in a copper insert? How much of an improvement (if any) should I expect to see?

I will post pics to illustrate soon...

Bob
Unread 10-27-2002, 11:03 PM   #30
pippin88
Cooling Savant

Looks interesting.

I wouldn't think you would get much of an increase by modifying the base.

What might give an increase is many small holes drilled through the core of the thing, increasing surface area around the hot part. (Just an Idea)

Cheers,
pippin88
pippin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2002, 06:47 AM   #31
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by pippin88
Looks interesting.

I wouldn't think you would get much of an increase by modifying the base.

What might give an increase is many small holes drilled through the core of the thing, increasing surface area around the hot part. (Just an Idea)

Cheers,
pippin88
I had thought of that, but that would compromise the anodizing. Since the rad I have is copper/brass, that would be a bad thing, eh?

Bob
Unread 10-28-2002, 03:03 PM   #32
pippin88
Cooling Savant

Yep, but it is possible to get it reanodized (or even do it yourself)
pippin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2002, 02:03 PM   #33
The Overclocker
Cooling Neophyte

although you will probably end up with a good performing waterblock, i dont know why you are trying to fit your design around those heatsinks.

there are a few problems with them, the main one being that they are made out of aluminum so they will not perform as well. i will suggest a better and easier idea:

make similar heastinks out of copper, they seam quite easy to make with a lathe or even attaching copper to a drill and spinning it while making the groves with a file, infact i may try somehting like that...

this idea also makes it easier to attach it to a base and sides because it can be soldered easier, you can also use an end cap to encapsulate it.
The Overclocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2002, 07:27 PM   #34
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by The Overclocker

there are a few problems with them, the main one being that they are made out of aluminum so they will not perform as well. i will suggest a better and easier idea:

make similar heastinks out of copper, they seam quite easy to make with a lathe or even attaching copper to a drill and spinning it while making the groves with a file, infact i may try somehting like that...

Well, given that I have very little in the way of (easily) available tooling right now, making my own is not an option. This was merely a thought I had when I came upon it. I think it would be a nice little experiment, easily constructed, and with adequate performance. I certainly would make no claims of its superiority.

Bob
Unread 10-31-2002, 08:29 PM   #35
DivideByZero
Cooling Neophyte

Hmmm... I have one of these sitting on my desk at home. I scored it out of an ancient Micron about a year ago when they were pitching a bunch of old computers here at work. Got me some 100baseFX cards too, have yet to find a use for those... Anyhow, I'm not too sure this piece has the capacity to be implemented as a CPU cooler. It might just make a good GPU/chipset cooler, though! I must look at it some more...