Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 05-29-2001, 08:32 PM   #1
00silverGT
Cooling Neophyte

Default TEC/HSF Combo Advice

I need some advice guys...I am torn between choosing an Alpha PAL6035 and the Leufken 85 watt Peltier kit for the same or go with the Swiftech MC370 and "Use the force" and create a ghetto rigged TEC kit or maybe just leave the HSF as it is. I am planning an upgrade for my venerable PIII 550E OC'd 732(of course). I plan to aquire a T-bird 1.2 GHz to put in it's place. I think I've seen people OC this bad boy to about 1.4 GHz. My big problem is that I live in Sunny, hot California, Inland at that so I will definitely need to keep this setup cool in order to make it worthwhile. My current setup is kept artic by an Alpha P3125 with a Leufken 55 Watt Peltier cooler.

The main reason for my dismay is that the Swiftech seems to be a great performer per Tomshardware, at $47 it was able to keep the CPU cooler than a $35 non-active Alpha, both the PEP66T and the PAL6035 by as much as 5 degrees! The TEC Kit would cost another $35 making the Alpha with a cost of $70 or so while at $47 the Swiftech may be sufficient. What do you guys think? Will the 85 watt TEC with it's own heat create or bridge the temperature gap between the Alpha and the Swiftech? I appreciate your input.
00silverGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2001, 08:51 AM   #2
Butcher
Thermophile

Don't bother with the pelt. You'll exceed it's rating by about 1.5G without even upping the voltage. Just get the swiftech MC370 and see how high you can clock.
Trying to run a peltier on an athlon with air cooling is asking for trouble, you need at least 100W of pelt and to cool that with air would need one hell of a HSF.
Unread 05-30-2001, 10:45 AM   #3
resago
Cooling Savant

Think the SW462 HSF could handle it?
As far as HSF, I think the swiftec is the only one that stands a chance at cooling an athlon with a big peltier.

Wish I had the money to find out.
resago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2001, 03:46 PM   #4
00silverGT
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks guys. I knoiw what you mean, I wish I can get the two combos to check it out and find out. But it looks like I will be satisfied with the Swiftech, since it seems to be ample for cooling the T-bird. Now for another question: By using passive cooling AKA HSF, what would be my realistic OC speed on an average 1.2 GHz T-Bird? Ofcourse, with hopes that I will not be creating a "EZ bake oven in my computer case.
00silverGT is offline   Reply With Quote