Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 08-14-2002, 01:29 AM   #1
steven kelly
Cooling Neophyte

Amd 1800+ temperature

Please help, my paranoia is growing and the living room getting noisier with all the fans blowing... I have an athlon 1800+ and need to know what the normal running temperature should be.
At start up my cpu sits at 52Deg and soon gets up to around 57Deg, after heavy usage it can reach 63Deg (Celcius) . I have a volcano7 that I could use, would this give me better temperatures, at the momment I am using a bog standard amd approved heatsink and fan. p.s the system has a HDD cooler sytems fan, and there is a fan on the Geforce4 Ti 4600. Please help before I have to seek medical advice.
steven kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2002, 10:17 AM   #2
jag_e_fattig
Cooling Savant

my 1900+ hits a load temp of 44c with my pal8045. you should definately use the volcano7 instead, anything is better than an amd stock hsf.

AER - 05/29/87-10/26/03, I'll never forget.
jag_e_fattig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2002, 10:20 PM   #3
tokamac
Cooling Neophyte

I think AMD says 70 C the upper limit (from their heatsink fabrication guide)... so yes I believe that is normal, however you gotta ask yourself: Is the noise worth the extra life/overclocking ability?

P.S. I would not want my chip anywhere near 63 C...

Tokamac
tokamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2002, 11:15 PM   #4
rzracer
Cooling Neophyte

Default Athlon Cooling

Those temps do infact fall within the guildlines set by AMD but most people just aren't comfortable with temps that high. I can pass a few tips that work for me. I'm using an AX-7 heatsink, it was fairly cheap and works better than the PAL8045 I was using. I put a Smartfan II on it and it works absolutly great. It has a thermal sensor that I placed on the bottom of the cpu with the supplied tape (yes the lead wires are VERY thin and allows you to run them between the CPU pins). When there is no load on the CPU it slows down and is almost silent. When you put a load on the cpu it will speed up but it never gets loud like the 6800 rpm delta I used to have (for about 2 days), nor does it have that high pitch that almost drove me nuts. My fully loaded temp never hits 50, usually 46-48 and my room temp is pretty warm. This is with an XP Athlon running at 1750 (10x175).

I also use Vcool. This small utility will not do anything for loaded cpu temps but all the while your surfing the net and not applying a big load (probably 90 percent of you computer time) it puts wait states to you cpu. This lowers your temps dramatically plus saves you money on you electric bill, lol. To give you an idea, my idle temp is 29-30c, this is with my house temp set to 78-80 degrees (this also plays a big factor as my temps in the winter are much less). Anyway the other day I unpluged the Smartfan II just to see how high the temp would get. I let it idle for 30 min and Vcool keep the temp at 42c. The only downside I find with the utility is Hard Drive speed. My Sisoft score goes down about 5000 points, all other benchmarks stay the same though. I usually disable it when gaming but really the only difference I can tell is it takes a few seconds longer for MOHAA to initally load, after that no difference during play. Oh yeah, it's free also (http://vcool.occludo.net/)

Of course good case cooling is important too. I use 2 80mm low speed fans in the rear of the case as well as an Enermax dual fan powersupply that has adjustable fan speed. All an all my setup is pretty quiet.
rzracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 06:31 AM   #5
RoboTech
Cooling Savant

Hey steven,

I use an SK-6 with 27 CFM Sunnon fan on my XP-1800+ running at 1610 MHz. My temps never go over 42 C load (measured by a DD5 thermal probe mounted in a hole in the base of the heatsink). I do have good case cooling (typically 2 C over ambient) and room temps around 23 C.

If it will fit on your mobo I would also recommend the AX-7 with a nice quiet 80mm fan (Panaflow H1A maybe).

It also sounds like you might need some better case cooling. If your internal case temps are more than about 10 C over ambient then some additional fans may be in order. They don't have to be high RPM, loud ones. Having two or three low CFM quiet fans can be just as effective at moving cool air thru your case as one high RPM, loud fan.

What is your ave room temp?

Good luck
RoboTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2003, 11:24 PM   #6
watervase
Cooling Neophyte

Looks like my AMD TB 1.4 (running UNDERCLOCK @ 1.2GHz) got almost the same temp as u guys.

Idle 52'C, Max CPU Usage for 30min is 58'C.
M/B temp is 41'C.
Room temp is 29'C. (I m fr Asian, that's y so hot compare with u all)

Is there any more method to cool down the CPU without changing the heat sink? Casing mod? Is it positif air pressure (input > output) in the caisng is better than negatif air pressure (o/p > i/p)?

System:
TB 1.4 @ 1.2GHz.
Gigabyte 7VTX (Max 42'C).
512 DDR PC2100.
40GB Seagate Baraculla IV (max 35'C).
On board sound.
GF2 MX200 32MB.
Icute casing with 420W PSU.
ASUS 52X CDROM.
ASUS 24X10X40 CDRW.
Input: 1 X 80MM Fan (Icute, 0.1A, low rpm) pointing @ HDD

Output: 2 X 80MM Fan (Matsushita, 0.3A, around 2500rpm).
watervase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2003, 05:45 AM   #7
Brad
Thermophile

I think the 1800's we used to sell ran at about 45C with the retail heatsink - all aluminium, thin fins and a 5000rpm 60mm x 10mm fan. we haven't been selling them for about 3 weeks because the 2000's are now the same price. the 2000's run at about 47C with the same heatsink.

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2003, 08:34 AM   #8
Tuff
Cooling Savant

Draw the air to the heatsink and fan from outside the comp. If you blow hot air onto your heatsink...you get hot temps.

People have done mods with dryer vent hoses placed overtop of their fans and then ran outside their comps.

This seems to work.

Tuff
Tuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2003, 09:41 AM   #9
msv
Cooling Savant

1. Use the Volcano. Use anything but the standard HS.
2. Get the heat out of the case. DonĀ“t place case exhaust fans to close the CPU HS fan, they will only "steal" air from the HS fan, wich will increase CPU temps further.
regards
Mikael S.
msv is offline   Reply With Quote