Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 08-11-2005, 09:32 PM   #1
dsumanik
Cooling Neophyte

Default Watercooling Newb need some tips.

Hey all im taking my first plunge into the liquid cooling world and im pretty excited, however id like to soak up the knowledge of some of the experts here to avoid any disasters or bonehead/performance hindering installation mistakes.

here is the setup I went with:

Fatal1ty AN8-SLI chilled w/ MIPS AN8 Freezer
Athlon X2 4400+ chilled w/ Koolance CPU-305 V10
EVGA 7800 GTX chilled w/ Koolance VID-NV2-L06
Lian Li PC-V800b liquid cooled via Swiftech MCP-350 & CWCS R240

its going to be a tight fit but im going to mod the rad onto the right hand side panel, relocate one of the hardrive bays, and shroud the 120mm fans on the outside of the case to suck air out. I know I will be sucking warmer air through the rad, however i may modify the intake side with a thinner shroud that intakes cool air from the bottom. Initially i wont be doing this though.

My goal is not extreme performance, but decent performance and silence.

Will this rad be able to disipate the heat load well enough?
Also should i be using teflon tape anywhere?
Should i mod the MCP 350 so it has the intake perpendicluar to the impeller like they did on

www.systemcooling.com?

If you were me where would you mount the pump in this case, i have the MCRES 1000 and a dd fillport so I can pretty much put it anywhere, in a bay or in a corner.

I am going to run the blocks in this sequence on 3/8-10mm ID tubing:

Radiator-> 10mm tube -> CPU-> 10mm tube -> 10mm to 2x6mm y split -> one tube to vidcard one to chipset -> 2x6mm to 10mm y split -> 10mm tube-> pump -> 10mm tube->

i have 3 HDD to fit in this case, fan controller, uguru panel, and cd/dvd burner it si going to be very tight so any input would be very welcome.

For fans I selected:

2 x 60mm evercool aluminum ~20dba
2 x 120mm ultra fans 70cfm, connected to fan controller.

I went with the ultra fans cuz i liked how they looked, and also because although noiser at max speed, I like the option of extra CFM they provide if more airflow is needed.

Any tips would be welcome thanks alot guys
dsumanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 01:34 AM   #2
zoson
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsumanik
Hey all im taking my first plunge into the liquid cooling world and im pretty excited, however id like to soak up the knowledge of some of the experts here to avoid any disasters or bonehead/performance hindering installation mistakes.

here is the setup I went with:

Fatal1ty AN8-SLI chilled w/ MIPS AN8 Freezer
Athlon X2 4400+ chilled w/ Koolance CPU-305 V10
EVGA 7800 GTX chilled w/ Koolance VID-NV2-L06
Lian Li PC-V800b liquid cooled via Swiftech MCP-350 & CWCS R240

its going to be a tight fit but im going to mod the rad onto the right hand side panel, relocate one of the hardrive bays, and shroud the 120mm fans on the outside of the case to suck air out. I know I will be sucking warmer air through the rad, however i may modify the intake side with a thinner shroud that intakes cool air from the bottom. Initially i wont be doing this though.

My goal is not extreme performance, but decent performance and silence.

Will this rad be able to disipate the heat load well enough?
Also should i be using teflon tape anywhere?
Should i mod the MCP 350 so it has the intake perpendicluar to the impeller like they did on

www.systemcooling.com?

If you were me where would you mount the pump in this case, i have the MCRES 1000 and a dd fillport so I can pretty much put it anywhere, in a bay or in a corner.

I am going to run the blocks in this sequence on 3/8-10mm ID tubing:

Radiator-> 10mm tube -> CPU-> 10mm tube -> 10mm to 2x6mm y split -> one tube to vidcard one to chipset -> 2x6mm to 10mm y split -> 10mm tube-> pump -> 10mm tube->

i have 3 HDD to fit in this case, fan controller, uguru panel, and cd/dvd burner it si going to be very tight so any input would be very welcome.

For fans I selected:

2 x 60mm evercool aluminum ~20dba
2 x 120mm ultra fans 70cfm, connected to fan controller.

I went with the ultra fans cuz i liked how they looked, and also because although noiser at max speed, I like the option of extra CFM they provide if more airflow is needed.

Any tips would be welcome thanks alot guys
1/2" tubing and the higher flow pump.

Core i7 930 @ 4254Hz 22x193 | ASUS R3E 901 BIOS | 12GB Mushkin Blackline 3x4GB @ 1547MHz 7-8-7-24-1N | Lian Li PC-A10B
2x EVGA GTX275 SLI @ 720/1266/1566 | 2x 80GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD Raid 0 | 3x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 7.2K Raid 5 | Corsair 950TX
H2O | Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A | EK-FB RE3 | Swiftech - 2x MCW60/GTX275 Unisink, MCP655b, MCRes Micro.v2 | 3x HWLabs SR1-120
あなたの神への弓
Time isn't wasted, when you're gettin' wasted.
zoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 02:29 AM   #3
dsumanik
Cooling Neophyte

i would but the case is so small that the bends just wont be possible, i dont think.

Thanks for the advice though i was gonne get a storm/mcp-655 setup but there just isnt room, check it out, the mcp 350 is about the only thing i can fit in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v800image8.jpg (130.9 KB, 20 views)
Unread 08-12-2005, 09:50 AM   #4
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Well, you might consider a different pump to conserve space, since you aren't going all out for performance. Keep in mind that I haven't tried this pump, so this is NOT an endorsement.

The C-Systems Mag pump is reputed to be very small and quiet.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 11:00 AM   #5
Dave
Cooling Savant

"Keep in mind that I haven't tried this pump, so this is NOT an endorsement"

Send me adress private, will send you one. Now that new molds are ready, we finally have stock to give out for reviews, sample, etc
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 04:25 PM   #6
dsumanik
Cooling Neophyte

hook me up with one too dave, my canadian brotha! I can do a review for you on www.ap0calypse.com if youd like.

As for everything else though you guys think i should be ok?

Do i need to use teflon tape on the mips freezer or anywhere else?
Is tha rad going to be able to get rid of the heat well enough?
Should I mod the MCP?

Last edited by dsumanik; 08-12-2005 at 04:45 PM.
Unread 08-12-2005, 04:45 PM   #7
Brians256
Pro/Staff

dsumanik, if you do a review and ask for a free sample on the ProCooling forums, please be forewarned that you WILL receive intense scrutiny.

You might want to start buying expensive measurement equipement now instead of later.
Unread 08-12-2005, 06:31 PM   #8
dsumanik
Cooling Neophyte

thanks tips,

ill keep it in mind and brush up on my scientific method!

I have lots of measureing equipment here, rulers, bathroom scales, a stethoscope i stole form the hospital and beer cans to check volume....

lighten up man!
Unread 08-13-2005, 09:34 AM   #9
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Dude, that was light! I should have put a smiley on that post so you'd know I wasn't upset with you. Here

For example, have you seen how Jaydee rips into MadShrimps reviews?! And Jaydee isn't the only one by a long shot. Good luck, man.