Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
nicoliani
Cooling Neophyte

Default Lubricate pump, radiator and blocks

I need some oil lubricate that is 100% natural and free from chemicals.
As for this Ethylene Glycol or Propylene is not desirable.

If there is a question way I need to lubricate?

1. The pump will wear down if not
2. The pump will run more silent
3. It does well on anti-corrosion

I have tried with a cooking oil but after a while it rancid and the smell was not good. But it did a good job. After 6 months no algae or corrosion, as I had only this and destilled water!
nicoliani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2006, 11:27 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Default Re: Lubricate pump, radiator and blocks

Water is an excellent lubricant...
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

I'm pretty sure your radiator and blocks don't need lubrication.
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
stev
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoliani
I need some oil lubricate that is 100% natural and free from chemicals.
As for this Ethylene Glycol or Propylene is not desirable.

If there is a question way I need to lubricate?

1. The pump will wear down if not
2. The pump will run more silent
3. It does well on anti-corrosion

I have tried with a cooking oil but after a while it rancid and the smell was not good. But it did a good job. After 6 months no algae or corrosion, as I had only this and destilled water!
For the Corsair HydroCool and the Nautilus, PG of 33% was used for the very three reasona you had given.

Oils will break down over time with heat. I would have a concern with the oil that usually contains sulfur. The sulfur over time will react with the copper cold-block(s) to generate copper sulfate. Copper sulfate is a nasty product used in agriculture pesticides and requires protective clothing and should not be mixed or diluted with any other product. There is an EPA hazardous waste procedure for disposal as well. If you have a hot spot for the CPU that is being cooled, the sulfur dioxide is captured and converted into sulfuric acid. All this will float around in the oil.

The sulfur content will also react with aluminum. You will notice yellow gas bubbles over time in the cooling loop. Sulfur really likes aluminum. It will bond to aluminum very quickly. The rad aluminum tubes inside will corrode in time as well. If the cooling loop is purged and replaced with glycol and distilled water, even more reactions would occur since oxygen is present! Oil and water do not mix well.

Now, if the oil that is used isn't a refined petroleum product, like plant oils, then the cooling loop would be in great shape. If not, the cooling loop parts will degrade over time and could have leaks. Oil is a very good conductor of electricity too.
stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

As bb2k says - water is a great lubricant. If you're using a water pump, it's designed to have water running through it. You don't need to add additional lubricant. If you are using something like an Iwaki, which has a "water bearing" running a fluid with a different viscosity may cause early failure. You are not going to get longer pump rotor bearing life by adding a lubricant. Slick50 doesn't help your car engine either
...somebody had to say this a bit more directly...
Unread 06-22-2006, 09:32 PM   #6
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

The noticeable noise of the pump should be in the motor not the impeller or bearing. May be quieter because the oil is slowing the pump down because of the added viscosity. That also makes the pump work harder and probably shortens it's life.

Also using oil may reduce heat transfer as it may increase the boundary layer making the heat path from the source to the water and from the water to the radiator further and harder to travel. That and it will lower flow rate making the system less efficent.

Better way to lower pump noise is us a good DC pump and lower the voltage.

Last edited by jaydee; 06-23-2006 at 10:16 AM.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2006, 09:58 AM   #7
aaronjb
Cooling Neophyte

I lurk here occasionally... but here's a post. It may be useless convicing nicoliani that water pumps were made to pump water, and that water is the best method of transferring heat from his CPU when using a water block.

ocforums thread <-- one of many threads.
aaronjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #8
phpCypher
Cooling Neophyte

just use water wetter
phpCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2006, 12:45 PM   #9
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Water wetter stains tubing.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #10
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Maybe just give up on this topic? The original poster seemed to be looking for folks to tell him he was right in his original assumptions, and, not finding that, has probably moved on to another forum.
I'm not sure what's happened to ProCooling: we've all gotten so polite. Time was, someone with "stubborn wrong-headedness" (quoting BillA as best as I can remember) would get his head handed to him. That was the downside. The upside was that you could search ProForums and find threads with a low b/s coefficient. If we get nicer, the b/s coefficient in old threads goes up - which makes us less of a resource for newbies trying to learn.
Ah well, times change...
Unread 07-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #11
Senater_Cache
Cooling Savant

if youre looking for some fun, OCF has turned into a playground of idiociy.
Im nobody to say that I know anything in comparison to the folks here. But Ive been reading here a good while and have picked up on many a things.

when I went back to OCF for the first time in ~ half a year, the place was rampant with crap info being spread.
All the ole' pros are gone too somehow...
Senater_Cache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #12
Edge
Cooling Neophyte

ole' pros have already cut the path: commoditization has taken over and the lowest common denominator rules becoming more and more common everyday.

Intel has given up the Mhz race, and low power multicore will be profligate in short order (<3years), so the work is in the software camps (multi-threading and all its fun) while burning hot cycles fall into the past (the exponential moore's law eventually overtakes the geometric expansion of code (even the MS 10,000 monkey detritus though there are hints that the sanity of Cutler's mach kernel is returning)).

I water cool my systems so I don't have more aural damage. 20 years of working in datacenters has given me unrelenting tinnitus and that is the only reason I see it needed in the home/office. In the datacenter, multicore is going to start pulling back the space requirements and that eases the cooling burden (8 years out, the next 4 are going to be touch and go).

There are the .com rehashes going on with Google & MSN datacenters, but that is only happening because they have too much money and too little sense.

Where is the market reward for pro water cooling? See how well it treated Cathar and BillA.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote