Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Testing and Benchmarking
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Testing and Benchmarking Discuss, design, and debate ways to evaluate the performace of he goods out there.

Unread 04-09-2005, 10:31 PM   #26
redleader
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee116
Could be. I don't know all the math. My heater cartridge is rated at 40VDC 150watt and the ohm's is 10.7. I am using a DMM that shows 27.9V. The amps are not known as the amp setting is not working on the DMM. Theoretically the amps should be about 2.58 but maybe it is taking more power?
Those numbers are when the heater is at its test temperature right? If so, you've got 72.75w.

About the amps reading: you don't actually need it so long as you've got the resistance and voltage. When you say the amps setting is not working, you're breaking the circuit and wiring the meter up in series right? Voltage can be measured between two points, but current has to be measured through the meter.

Sorry if thats a dumb question, but I've seen experienced people stare at a DMM wondering why the current reading isn't working without realizing they've still got the probes in parallel with a componet and not in series with it.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2005, 10:39 PM   #27
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
So are your milling capabilities good enough to make pH a die sim now JayDee?
I hope so as I need to make myself a new one to. I am using the prototype I made before. When I get back from Cali I will head up there and work on the mill the first weekend I have free. I am pretty sure I can manually mill the thing better than with the CNC being the mill table is crap. Manually I can compensate for that much easier but it will take a lot of time.
Quote:
Also are you planning on doing reviews fairly regularly? Someone asked me for a reference about you as a reviewer yesterday. It doesn't take long to become this site's premier wcing tester I think as long as I'm not doing anything and incoherent is quiet
I am actually. I never thought I would get around to building this bench but now that I have I just as well use it. I still have some stuff to work out but I think I am close. Once I get the mounting method more perfected and revise the die sim a bit I should be good to go. I got offered to review a nice German made block and I took him up on the offer. By the time that gets here I hope to have things ironed out and more repeatable. This Cali trip is going to suck. Looks like a good 2 weeker. After I get the German block done I may solicit for review samples.

I got to get some of that BillA goop to.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2005, 10:48 PM   #28
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader
Those numbers are when the heater is at its test temperature right? If so, you've got 72.75w.

About the amps reading: you don't actually need it so long as you've got the resistance and voltage. When you say the amps setting is not working, you're breaking the circuit and wiring the meter up in series right? Voltage can be measured between two points, but current has to be measured through the meter.

Sorry if thats a dumb question, but I've seen experienced people stare at a DMM wondering why the current reading isn't working without realizing they've still got the probes in parallel with a componet and not in series with it.
LOL, you got me on the amp one. Definatly what I am doing wrong there. I will try it the right way tomorrow.
Unread 04-10-2005, 03:25 AM   #29
Incoherent
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee116
This is lots better. The curve is actually resembling pH's. The higher temps are interesting though. We both are supposed to have 71ish watt heat load yet my temps with the die sim are considerably higher.

Anyway attached graph of mount one.

Jaydee, where is your diesim temperature probe relative to the die surface. Also what are the dimensions of the whole package, including the heater location.
Incoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2005, 11:04 AM   #30
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incoherent
Jaydee, where is your diesim temperature probe relative to the die surface. Also what are the dimensions of the whole package, including the heater location.
Note the heater cartridge is only 1/4" so the hole is only 1/4 inch. I have 2 probes. Once TC in the hole were the step is and one on the oposite side butted up against the side of the the die. Both read about the same.

The final version is going to be modified from this one a little.

----

----
Unread 04-10-2005, 11:37 AM   #31
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

System is at operating temp. 2.53A and 27.9V. = 70.587watts. Less than expected but this old DMM maybe not be to accurate either. Second mount took 4C off.

Graph of second mount. The resolution on the CF633 is like .125 so that is why the numbers are a litte off. That will be cleared up with a new thermometer once the new die sim is made.

3rd mount going now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phjd-diesim2.jpg (40.6 KB, 21 views)
Unread 04-10-2005, 03:47 PM   #32
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Definatly happy with the consistancy of the curves. I am not going to do a series of remounts without going through all the flow rates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phjd-diesim3.jpg (54.1 KB, 25 views)
Unread 04-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #33
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Well I am done for now. Got to get things ready for the road trip to Cali for a few weeks. I plan to make a little article on my progress from where I started with this bench and add onto it as I go.
Unread 04-26-2005, 12:53 PM   #34
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Finally back from Cali. I tore the tape off the die sim and am pretty sure the temp difference in temps in the above graph are from the probe moving around on each remount. I am fixing this right now. I have filed down the Dow probe smaller and it fits much nicer. I got it more insulated from the base of the die slug so it should be telling the temp of the actual die a little better. I also "glued" it in place so it shouldn't move around on each remount. I will get the system up again this afternoon and continue tweeking my mounting methods and what not. After work each day this week I will be working on it.