Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 12-26-2003, 01:38 AM   #1
christovan153
Cooling Neophyte

Default how heavy?

Im about to take a very fun and adventourous road to water cooling....

I was wondering if people could comment on the weight of their water cooling setup and some basic sspecs or even a pic or two..

mainly i want a sweet looking water cooled setup thats not completely messy inside and that is able to take to the occasianal LAN party..... i was thinking about a YY case but am not sure how much a watercooled YY case would weigh.... also its going to be a single processor computer

Thanks for all your help in advance....

P.S. ive been a avid reador of procooling and the forums here, i just havent been able to get any money saved up to actually follow through.... but now with christmas money in hand and a steady paychek form my on-campus job, im looking good (also i hope to sell my POS esort with some front bumper damage to get some moer cash...)

Christopher
christovan153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2003, 01:39 AM   #2
christovan153
Cooling Neophyte

I could also use some advice on a good case for this ( i plan on adding a few neons etc and want to add a color LCD screen too)

Thanks again
Unread 12-26-2003, 08:52 AM   #3
Boli
Cooling Savant

It weighs a lot... When I had to move mine I had to drain it and then I needed help to carry it up/downstairs.

But it isn't just the weight - its the bulk. OK - go and pick your computer up now - even the most standard cases have some weight to them. Now go to the corner shop and get a litre of water... come back and pick them both up. Difficult isn't it. Now you have got to add the weght of the radiators in - and all the new fans. Like many other computer enthusiast you'll have a "box-o-bits" try and pick that up as well. And you'll feel precicely how most poeple do with large cases with a watercooling setup.

There are some good atempts at running SMALL watercooling setups that are easily taken to LANs - but the people with the large cases tend to get help moving the equipment, or fill 'er up when they get there.

You can build a huge watercooloing setup to your hearts content (this is what I have done). and for a first timer it is what I would recomend - especially if you are squemish about modding your case in the first place

So you really have TWO options for your watercooling setup, go small - or go large. Both options are viable but both require research. The YY cube is a nice case but will come under the "bulk" factor, same to with the LianLi and Cheiftec larger models. All of which would be perfect for a large watercoolling setup. But unless you mod their own "trolley" to them or go with a big enough group of you to help move all the stuff then you can pretty much count out a "LAN party campaign" with it.

I'm sorry if I haven't given you an exact figures I'm just giving my thoughts on the matter.

case = heavy

~ Boli
Boli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2003, 10:01 AM   #4
Levish
Cooling Neophyte

if you use a AL case with a watercooling setup for CPU only and no res the weight shouldn't be too bad ... a bit more than a steel case (with air cooling stuff) IMHO

you would have decent cooling

If you're planning on loading up the cases with extra fans/Mult HDD's and all the rest then it will get a bit unmanageable and you might want to consider a luggage trolley
Unread 12-26-2003, 02:11 PM   #5
-J-

im using the case of a siemens PC5DT server.

its really really really heavy, even when empty.

on top of that with all the hardware it gets even heavier.

next week im installing my new WC rig, im estimating that it will weight as much as 4 kg.

to compensate all this weight im installing a really big handle on top (directly attached to the chasis), and a removable base with big rubber wheels.

this wheels let you drag the case all around (they can run over almost any obstacle as high as 1cm), you just have to lift it off the base when you want to put it on a permanent place.

moving my case through some stairs without someone else helping, is not an option.

ill post some pics tomorrow
-J- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2003, 05:21 PM   #6
Boli
Cooling Savant

4Kg is nothing... a 120.1 radiator full of water may weigh as much as a Kg.

A large computer is like a small child damn tempremental and near impossible to pick up and carry.

~ Boli
Boli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2003, 06:41 PM   #7
christovan153
Cooling Neophyte

thanks for the advice..... im prolly just gunna go with a YY cube and use it as the home PC... (the only movement it will be getting is that of me going from my dorm to home over breaks) that shouldnt be too bad....

Thanks for all the help

Chris
Unread 12-26-2003, 08:29 PM   #8
killernoodle
Thermophile

Most watercooling gear can fit in a chieftec case, and an aluminum one is very lightweight and cheap.

my .02