Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 03-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
j3rm
Cooling Neophyte

Default Snap 4200 MAx Disk Size

Hi all,
I have Snap 4200 that has 4X250 GB drives and I'm curious whats the largest Drive or Raid 5 config the system will support? I have seen on the forums people saying they installed 500 GB drives, is that the largest?

Thanks for the help.
j3rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Default Re: Snap 4200 MAx Disk Size

http://support.overlandstorage.com/j...earchPage=true

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=15515

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=15671

That should cover all bases... (all of which was available on this forum's first page)

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

Drives from 250GB to 2TB (PATA, SATA, and SAS)

GOS v5.2.067

All subject to change, day by day......
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
j3rm
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Snap 4200 Max Disk Size

Thanks for the info. I guess i just missed the info on the home page.

Are you still selling SATA conversion kits?
I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, still researching, but I might try to upgrade my 4200 to 4X2TB if I can, have to check os versions and such..

If I don't do it, ill be looking to sell the 4200.

Thanks again.
Unread 03-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Well, it so happens that this week I was planning on converting a 4500 to SATA and installing 4 x Samsung Spinpoint 1TB drives (GOS 5.2.067) to put on eBay. If you like, you can make me a private offer via PM here on the forum.

BEFORE YOU ASK, I have not figured out what I was going to ask for it on eBay yet, but you can calculate your offer like this. Value of a 4500 with updated GOS + the Adapters + 4 x brand new Samsung 1TB drives + a little profit for my labor.

If anyone else wants to make an offer via PM, feel free.

Side Note: I had not made up my mind, but I was considering putting 1 or both SnapDisk 10's I have up with the 4500's I was going to sell...

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

GOS v5.2.067

Unread 03-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
j3rm
Cooling Neophyte

So if I understand everything I have spent the last 2 hours reading... with My Goal to put 4X2TB drives in my Snap 4200 and put it back into production.

To Do so I will need
1. I need GuardianOS 5.+ to support 2 TB drives.
2. I need the SATA conversions ( which you apparently have bought/modified and resell)
#1. I can call adaptec on.
#2. I ask again, do you have these available. Still $85 ?

You recommend any specific drives that work well? The unit will be put back in a datacenter.

Thanks for all the information you have posted on the forum, I found it very informational.
Unread 03-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3rm View Post
So if I understand everything I have spent the last 2 hours reading... with My Goal to put 4X2TB drives in my Snap 4200 and put it back into production.

To Do so I will need
1. I need GuardianOS 5.+ to support 2 TB drives.
2. I need the SATA conversions ( which you apparently have bought/modified and resell)
Yup, you got it...

Quote:
#1. I can call adaptec on.
Uh, no... That would be Overland Storage, Adaptec no longer owns/supports the Snap Servers. Last I talked to them on this one, it will cost you either the price of a support contract or the price of a support contract -and- payment to have your unit recertifiedif out of warranty. They have gone back and forth on that one.

Quote:
#2. I ask again, do you have these available. Still $85 ?
Ah, now we come to the rub... These adapters take quite a bit of time for me to modify a batch of them. I do have some left from the last batch, but they are those I made for myself to convert all my units. With the low interest people were giving in them, I did not make many spares, which are now all gone. So the answer is yes, I still have some, but no they are not currentlyfor sale. I would have to make another batch.

Speaking of which, David, you have yours now. What do you think of them? A review might be in order. And be honest, don't spare mine or anyone elses feelings.

Quote:
You recommend any specific drives that work well? The unit will be put back in a datacenter.
Well, Hardware is what I do, but with the current state of consumer hard disks on the market, I would be hard pressed to recommend (put my reputation at stake)any of them for a 24/7 data center outside of very expensive enterprise drives. Hard Disk manufacturers these later days seem to be getting too high of failure rates for my tatses.

With that said, Hitachi or Samsung for consumer drives, but I am not puting my reputation on them.

Quote:
Thanks for all the information you have posted on the forum, I found it very informational.
You are very welcome and thank you...

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

GOS v5.2.067

Unread 03-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
blue68f100
Thermophile

All I can say besides being a tight fit is they worked without any problems what so ever. I ended up using one to do a low-level format with an old 1.8ghz P4 PC that does not have any SATA ports. The format took over 8 hrs to do. Then I did a scan to confirm the HD was clean, verifing the format. This took another 8+ hrs to run. So at least one adapter got pounded for over 16+hrs with only a short cool down between format and verify. This test was ran on 2 drives. I had 2 HD's (out of 5) fail the verify so they were returned for replacement. Once I get replacements I will do the test again then bring the 4200/4500 online with 4 x 2T drives. This is a pretty hard test to hammer one continuously for over 16 straight hours.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote