Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-08-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
Trekari
Cooling Neophyte

Default Radiator questions

Some are 2-pass, some are 4-pass, others are single-pass. Black Ice Pro is a 4-pass, but only an inch thick, Black Ice eXtreme is a 2-pass, but nearly 2" thick.

Which is better? The thicker the radiator, the higher speed (and thus noisier) fans are required to get the air to flow through the fins, correct?

The more passes a radiator has, the larger the pressure drop, but also the more time the coolant is exposed to the cooling fins, right?

Radiators perform better as you increase the difference between the coolant temperature and the ambient temperature, so would this mean a single, dual-fan radiator would perform better than two, single fan radiators in parallel or series given a multiple-block setup where one radiator is used for each waterblock?

Given a low-noise desire for a watercooling setup, do car heatercores actually perform better? One would think that the greater airflow resistance offered by the thicker heatercores would actually increase noise due to turbulance(sp?) created by all the fins.

For maximum cooling potential, would a 4-pass, thick radiator do better than a single-pass?

-Jason
Trekari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2004, 10:33 PM   #2
funbun
Cooling Neophyte

Dude, heater core are cheap. I got mine at the radiator shop for $20 bucks. You can find them cheaper than that. Just get a cheap heater core get some primer and UV paint from Wal-Mart and be happy.

WATER COOLING:
DangerDen Maze 4 CPU waterblock | Hydor L20 waterpump |Homemade reservior | Heater core|

biketour.blogspot.com
funbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2004, 11:24 PM   #3
HAL-9000
Cooling Savant

Default True Dat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funbun
Dude, heater core are cheap. I got mine at the radiator shop for $20 bucks. You can find them cheaper than that. Just get a cheap heater core get some primer and UV paint from Wal-Mart and be happy.
For Chevy Chevettes, their heatercores suck because the rest of the car breaks down, no matter what the heatercore does.

But, get a Chevette heatercore from NAPA autoparts or something, and you will find out why they originally made the thing in the first place. Black Ice is for N00bs or those that want aesthetics more than performance, and I doubt most folks around here on Pro-cooling want looks more than chill. (Not that there's anything wrong with that of course! )
HAL-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2004, 12:36 PM   #4
joesgarage11
Cooling Neophyte

Hehe, I used to have a Chevette. Good car if you never have to go up hills. :-)
Unread 06-09-2004, 01:33 PM   #5
arterius
Cooling Neophyte

I have got a simple question guys.I plan on running three 7x7x2 heatercores in series combined with 8"rotor fans.Is that gonna add a lot of restriction to my system or not?
arterius is offline   Reply With Quote