Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Cooling News From Around The Web
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Cooling News From Around The Web You can post links, or comments about cooling related articles and reviews from around the web.

Unread 08-25-2005, 09:54 PM   #26
maxSaleen
Cooling Savant

Very Nice I especially like the nickel plated brass top.

For Bruce (Dacooltech?):
Did you guys consider using multiple accelerator slits (ala WW, I know it only has one) instead of the...what is word... accelerator holes?

My inability to find the proper word here just gave me the idea to start a terminology thread somewhere here on the forums. I know it's off topic, but does anyone else think that would be a good thing?

Last edited by maxSaleen; 08-25-2005 at 09:59 PM. Reason: I wanted to add something
maxSaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2005, 10:12 PM   #27
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

There is 3 nozzel configurations (I have all 3). One is the holes, one is a slit like the WW, and one is a X shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (42.4 KB, 31 views)
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2005, 10:15 PM   #28
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxSaleen
My inability to find the proper word here just gave me the idea to start a terminology thread somewhere here on the forums. I know it's off topic, but does anyone else think that would be a good thing?
sounds like a good idea to me, would save confusion in the future.
Unread 08-25-2005, 10:29 PM   #29
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I made this base a little over a year and a half ago simply to test my mill. I am kicking myself for not turning it into a block. One thing I am not to sure on (among many others) is how small the pins really need to be. The pins on this base are approx. 1/16" x 1/16". The pins on my Lemon Cu block has 1/8" x 1/8" pins and the pins on my R-Type block were a little less than 1/8". I plan on doing a lot of experimentation on this myself.

I wanted to tripple the pin count in the same area as this base but my mill just isn't up to the accuracy with a endmill. I will be seeking a slit saw attachment now that we see what can be done with one. With the mill I have been building on the side I think I can make some decent blocks with it.... Also have a few other ways of making pins...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pingrid.jpg (73.8 KB, 79 views)
Unread 08-26-2005, 12:46 AM   #30
Ls7corvete
Cooling Savant

All versions come with a clear plastic accelerator nozzle?

I think some people may not be happy with that, hopefully that is not the case. Or will there not be problems? Not that I have a problem with the clear plastics but others may.
Ls7corvete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2005, 12:51 AM   #31
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Being that the clear plate is sandwiched between the top and the base, they should be fine. Very nice looking block Bruce! Hope it does well for you.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums
*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2005, 07:21 AM   #32
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxSaleen
Very Nice I especially like the nickel plated brass top.

For Bruce (Dacooltech?):
Did you guys consider using multiple accelerator slits (ala WW, I know it only has one) instead of the...what is word... accelerator holes?

thanks MaxSaleen... Like Jaydee already mentioned, we'll be offering an optional accelarator nozzle kit as well. Actually, I'll offer the optional nozzle kit at no additional charge with the first pre-orders... how about that?
Unread 08-26-2005, 07:30 AM   #33
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1
Being that the clear plate is sandwiched between the top and the base, they should be fine. Very nice looking block Bruce! Hope it does well for you.
Thanks Scott, I hope so too

Quote:
All versions come with a clear plastic accelerator nozzle?

I think some people may not be happy with that, hopefully that is not the case. Or will there not be problems? Not that I have a problem with the clear plastics but others may.
Ls7corvete, like Nikhsub1 posted, we are talking about a plastic mid plate here not a threaded acrylic top with barbed fittings. Acrylic is easy to machine, reduces the overall weight of the block, and costs... besides it looks good. Again, since the acrylic is not tapped for barbed fittings, it works just fine...
Unlike polycarbonate even tapped acrylic tops (if done correctly) just work fine too. We've been offering DD TDX and RBX blocks with acrylic tops and straight threaded barbs for quite some time now, and never received a single RMA (if any customers contacted DD directly, I wouldn't know though)

We may offer an optional nickel plated brass mid plate as well (if there's a lot of requests for it), but I don't think it will do any better, other than increasing the cost.

On a side note, I tested copper and brass mid plates as well, and performance-wise there's no difference.
Unread 08-26-2005, 07:40 AM   #34
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
I made this base a little over a year and a half ago simply to test my mill. I am kicking myself for not turning it into a block. One thing I am not to sure on (among many others) is how small the pins really need to be. The pins on this base are approx. 1/16" x 1/16". The pins on my Lemon Cu block has 1/8" x 1/8" pins and the pins on my R-Type block were a little less than 1/8". I plan on doing a lot of experimentation on this myself.

I wanted to tripple the pin count in the same area as this base but my mill just isn't up to the accuracy with a endmill. I will be seeking a slit saw attachment now that we see what can be done with one. With the mill I have been building on the side I think I can make some decent blocks with it.... Also have a few other ways of making pins...
the pin size is important, but I think the channel size in betw. the pins is more important. I think Roscal's, and his friend Eve's wire EDM cut blocks are good examples.

Jaydee, I think you should perfect your pyramid shaped micro-pin design... there's a lot of potential there IMHO

Last edited by dacooltech; 08-26-2005 at 12:12 PM.
dacooltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2005, 09:08 AM   #35
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacooltech
the pin size is important, but I think the channel size in betw. the pins is more important. I think Roscal's, and his friend Eve's wire EDM cut blocks are good examples.

Jaydee, I think you should perfect your pyramid shaped micro-pin design... there's a lot of potantial there IMHO
There has to be a optimal pin size and channel width ratio. I think tooling is probably going to limit the options though.

Yes, I have been working on the pyrmid pins off the record. Be noted that base I showed above has some traits of such if you look real close. Problem I have is lack of tooling and a machine to do it. I no longer have access to the machine that did the originals.
Unread 08-26-2005, 12:01 PM   #36
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Turns out my host is fine and my ISP is blocking the IP addy to my host somehow... Was wondering how max seen the pics. I have to go through a proxy server just to get to my damn sites.

Anyway as I was about to pack up the test bench I decided to run a few quick tests that will not be considered final by any standard. Just something to keep my curiosity at bay until I can set the bench up at my new place and modify some things... Anyway I will post some preliminary results soon.
Unread 08-26-2005, 12:14 PM   #37
dacooltech
Pro/Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
There has to be a optimal pin size and channel width ratio. I think tooling is probably going to limit the options though.

Yes, I have been working on the pyrmid pins off the record. Be noted that base I showed above has some traits of such if you look real close. Problem I have is lack of tooling and a machine to do it. I no longer have access to the machine that did the originals.
You're right, tooling definitely limits the options.

well you're one of the gurus of micro-pins so i'm sure you're going to come up with something great with the pyramid pins
Unread 08-26-2005, 12:59 PM   #38
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Pretty sure Koolance's blocks use pyrmid pins. Although it is a flawed design. I already found tooling to do what I want but I can't afford $50 an endmill right now. Who knows how many I would break on the prototype.
Unread 08-26-2005, 03:37 PM   #39
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

koolances blocks use standard pins much like the mcw6000 series, and performs very similar according to systemcooling(?) - i think koolance gets more insults than they deserve, block wise....

http://www.systemcooling.com/images/...image19big.gif

Different die size seems to effect results quite a bit though, but you cannot say the test bed is ill-concieved...

Last edited by Etacovda; 08-26-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2005, 03:46 PM   #40
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etacovda
koolances blocks use standard pins much like the mcw6000 series, and performs very similar according to systemcooling(?) - i think koolance gets more insults than they deserve, block wise....

trying to find the link, having no luck
I am thinking of their original blocks. They appear to be pyrmids. Maybe rounded one. Might just be an illusion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00078713.jpg (16.3 KB, 33 views)
Unread 08-26-2005, 03:47 PM   #41
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Also I find it odd the conflicting results of the MCW6002 from Robo and pH.... Robo uses a larger die sim...
Unread 08-26-2005, 03:57 PM   #42
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

nah, those do look like pyramids, you're right
speaking of which, thats another thing pH could do once hes set up again - koolance, thermaltake, zalman waterblock tests; would be interesting.
Unread 08-26-2005, 04:02 PM   #43
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

the die size is hugely important
exaggeratedly small does not compare with very large
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2005, 05:01 PM   #44
Les
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
the die size is hugely important
exaggeratedly small does not compare with very large
Hoping, at some point, for illumination on these "die-size and manipulation" speculations
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2005, 05:07 PM   #45
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Koolance declined to send on 3 different occasions. Thermaltake offered to send a big heatsink of some sort. Someone from sharkacomputer was supposed to send a zalman reserator for review but upon receiving my address never shipped out a package. Such is the glamorous life I lead
Unread 08-26-2005, 06:30 PM   #46
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Hoping, at some point, for illumination on these "die-size and manipulation" speculations
Les
your post is correct, shown in Swiftech product descriptions is the device C/W

and I suspect that Lee will change his tune with more data
I have tested a Nexxos on a 'larger' heat source with spectacular results, on the 1cm² heat die it is a goat
- rather the opposite of what one friend predicted for this wb
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2005, 06:45 PM   #47
Les
Cooling Savant

Ta Bill.
However values are a little lower than would have expected.
Hoped for better agreement with Incoherent's work.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2005, 07:48 PM   #48
Ls7corvete
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Thanks Scott, I hope so too
Ls7corvete, like Nikhsub1 posted, we are talking about a plastic mid plate here not a threaded acrylic top with barbed fittings. Acrylic is easy to machine, reduces the overall weight of the block, and costs... besides it looks good. Again, since the acrylic is not tapped for barbed fittings, it works just fine...
Unlike polycarbonate even tapped acrylic tops (if done correctly) just work fine too. We've been offering DD TDX and RBX blocks with acrylic tops and straight threaded barbs for quite some time now, and never received a single RMA (if any customers contacted DD directly, I wouldn't know though)

We may offer an optional nickel plated brass mid plate as well (if there's a lot of requests for it), but I don't think it will do any better, other than increasing the cost.

On a side note, I tested copper and brass mid plates as well, and performance-wise there's no difference.
I agree, I have read your thoughts on this before, but I fear that there will be others that will not agree. Seems like a simple switch to me but you work on a bit different scale than I do, lol.
Ls7corvete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2005, 11:20 PM   #49
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I spent the day doing a quick test of the MP-05 SP the TDX with standard slit nozzle and the White Water LE. I have decided to not post the results however because the die sim needs some serious changes. I have that all worked out but I just need to make the new slug.

The results should be somewhat decent however. If they are anything near relatively correct then the WWLE and the TDX are near identical to performance. If my results are good the MP-05 SP is highly restrictive with the #3 nozzle (havn't tested the other 2)but it will be worth it. Even at low flow rates. Once I get the die sim redesigned and some other minor issues resolved I will do the final testing. This will be after I get moved however. I am planning a water block roundup in mid September with a bunch of top blocks in it.
Unread 08-26-2005, 11:51 PM   #50
brucoman
Cooling Savant

Quote:
does anyone know where Morpling1 is?
he doesn't seem to post over at pro/forums anymore...
I chatted with him last, nearly 2 years ago
does not post here anymore
brucoman is offline   Reply With Quote