Go Back   Pro/Forums > Pro But Non Cooling Hobbies > Pro/Car and Motorsports Forum
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Pro/Car and Motorsports Forum For those geeks who dig Cars, Racing, or just aspire to some day drive one.

Unread 06-29-2004, 02:59 PM   #26
killernoodle
Thermophile

Hehe, looks like a massive #rotor block

So the motor is ported so that the intake and exhaust are both open at the same point in time? That doesnt make a lick of sense, but I guess it works... sounds too much like a small 2 stroke though.

What about a turbo + supercharger? It has been done before, but on a rally car in the 80's I think. Supposed to be fast as crap because there is no lag and the supercharger helps spool the huge ass turbo from a lower rpm. Very clunky sounding system though.

Either way, I'd like to see some forced induction on that little beast. It just wouldnt be uber cool without the whine of a supercharger or the hiss of a turbo. That kinda stuff makes me happy

Oh, and what is the point of heating the fuel? I'm a car enthusiast but dont know why that is beneficial. Is it easier to ignite or does it atomize better? Is it primarily for carbeurated motors?

Oh, and dont forget the NAWZZZ
Unread 06-29-2004, 03:16 PM   #27
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

heating the fuel...and just the fuel, is good, because atomization and ionization, or rather polarization can occur much easier.... the trick is to not heat the air that comes into the engine or the carburetor’s body, as that will have a boiling effect on the fuel in it…. Having the fuel under enough pressure will prevent it from boiling in the lines.

Once it gets into the carb, and since the atomization process is endothermic, meaning it tends to chill the carb, boiling will hopefully not be a problem….. will have to try and see what happens…
Unread 06-29-2004, 10:07 PM   #28
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Rotor
send them to this thread.... I'll be posting most of the stuff here anyhow
Well the images themselves are for registered users only I believe and i'm not gonna bug them to register.
mfpmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2004, 12:55 PM   #29
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpmax
Well the images themselves are for registered users only I believe and i'm not gonna bug them to register.
aaa ok that is an issue... well, I'll be having a site up shortly.... will have it all there....
Unread 07-09-2004, 12:15 PM   #30
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

Update time.....

sorry for the long wait.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dscn9842_800.jpg (85.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Dscn9850_800.jpg (85.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Dscn9852_800.jpg (69.3 KB, 40 views)
Unread 07-09-2004, 01:04 PM   #31
nicozeg
Cooling Savant

Any plans on widening wheel base? the body work cries for some less buried wheels. And stability will improve a lot.
nicozeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2004, 10:35 AM   #32
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

I already added 3" to the rear WB. the arches over the rear is the appropriate size for fitting something more serious than your average 225SR50 HP Radial, if ever the need for such exercise might show itself.

The 195-50 15” rubber you see there now, is high end budget, at best…. I’m aiming for at least 18” rims to be the Std… My wallet thinks otherwise though

a Link to where I have some pictures for poeple to look at....

Last edited by #Rotor; 07-10-2004 at 01:59 PM.
#Rotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2004, 11:17 AM   #33
killernoodle
Thermophile

#rotor, your car rocks. The front reminds me of a really tiny Aston Martin for some reason, maybe it is the shape of the grille. I hope you put some kind of aluminum mesh in there or something, that would look cool. Or even better, some stainless steel wire mesh... that would look totally old school It would look better with some wheel spacers in the front and back, but that might be bad for handling/bearings.
Unread 07-25-2004, 11:32 AM   #34
infinity9
Cooling Neophyte

please at least tell me the beatiful rx7 your tore that wankel out of was dead. id hate to see such a beautiful car maimed for such a heap. that car has absolutely no styling heh

great work though, gonna be a beast. only prob with that engine it it doesnt really have the greatest torque. with that t04 i doubt you have much trouble with that, but it will be slow unless the turbos kick in which will eat gas like a mofo. reason i sold the car: 11mpg average with 7 mpg as my minimum one time. i got 110 miles on a full tank once :shrug: is it going to be a drag car or a street car?

btw where do you live with all that barb wire on your brick fence.
infinity9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2004, 12:41 PM   #35
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

It does indeed have that AM kinda look yes...

the styling of this particular model was done by one of Ferraris top designers from a couple of decades ago, so this little baby does have some pure blood in her, Even though I might have spilled most of it... ( Shame on me.)

I have 3 complete Rotary (13B) motors here, though none of them from RX7's .... they are mostly from the Mazda pickups, that had rotary motors in them......

Basically the same thing other than the absence of the six-port inlet advance that comes on the 2nd-gen rx7's motor. all these motors of mine run carbon Apex seals.

torque.... I dono, but I already twisted one Diff, running a fairly standard 13B, just with a nice open exhaust on it....these motors are pretty potent if considering how small and light they are....

As for fuel consumption, I always look as it, not as a 1300cc engine giving me 10M/Gal... but much rather as a 250Hp+ engine giving me better Mileages than what would any other similarly Aged and modded engine give me( for that HP), not to mention Reliability......

and Yes, the Rotary engine is in fact one of the most reliable engines on the planet. 2 of my motors now has more than 300000Km on them.... still pulling strong and not even a smoky on coldstars in the mornings...

only reason so many bad tales are being told of motors blowing up on people is mainly because of the fact that rotary engines won't tell you to go screw yourself....( commonly known as VALVE BOUNCE) if you ask it to rev to 14000 RPMs in each gear....it will do so, or it will die trying...

It will be a street car but being particularly nippy from the getgo.... I'll have to see how well I'll be with it in the 1/4mile....

Last edited by #Rotor; 07-26-2004 at 01:06 PM.
Unread 07-26-2004, 10:25 PM   #36
killernoodle
Thermophile

Or the guy trying to catch up behind you
Something like this would look nice on the front

EDIT: I think you should consider cleaning all of your metal engine parts (including the block) ultrasonically. If you havent cleaned out all the ports and the rust and stuff now you will probably regret it later. It would suck to have to take everything apart again because you didnt clean it all up first. Plus nobody likes working on a dirty, greasy, rusty engine when you can be working on a shiny, clean, and less tetanus prone engine.

Last edited by killernoodle; 07-26-2004 at 10:30 PM.
killernoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2004, 11:45 PM   #37
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

I am assuming you are referring to the engine with the blower on it... that's just all my spare junk..... It's not the motor. I use it for dress rehearsal, and while designing making new inlet exhaust manifolds, making sure things fit the way they should, without running the risk of dropping a wrench onto something nice and polished
Unread 08-05-2004, 02:32 PM   #38
killernoodle
Thermophile

Good. Updates???
Unread 08-10-2004, 05:08 AM   #39
Colt357tw
Cooling Neophyte

#rotor, how much work would it take you to fabricate a 4(2+2 = 6? I need to count with my fingers again ) rotors rotory from 2 13B?

it should able to fit in that AM......

Last edited by Colt357tw; 08-12-2004 at 09:29 PM.
Colt357tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2004, 04:42 PM   #40
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

2 13B motors can be hooked up, one in front of the other, giving a 4-rotor configuration.... only problem is that the front part of the rear engine's eccentric(crank)shaft usually ends up getting twisted, because it is not thick enough the handle the torque coming through from the front motor. A more feasible approach would be to put the 2 motors side by side, in tandem, both running on a 1/1 gear, driving the flywheel... but this calls for some seriously heavy machining and financial commitment.

a little update.... I'm busy with a rapidly firing fuel detonator for the engine. the Rotary has a duel ignition system, so the electronics of the CDI unit needs to be done in 2 for every thing..... hopefully this thing will work as good as I'm hoping it would.... now just to find a place that's willing and able to sell me a couple of SCR's....
Unread 08-12-2004, 09:33 PM   #41
Colt357tw
Cooling Neophyte

some FC freaks here in TW suggest add 1 extra spark plug (per rotor??)to eliminate knocking, sure as hell dont understand why he say that, just thought maybe you may have an idea why he said something like that
Colt357tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2004, 06:27 AM   #42
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt357tw
some FC freaks here in TW suggest add 1 extra spark plug (per rotor??)to eliminate knocking, sure as hell dont understand why he say that, just thought maybe you may have an idea why he said something like that

Nope , no idea why he even think knocking is a problem on rotary engines..... what an extra plug will do is basically what i'm hoping to ashive with this fancy-smanchy CDI unit. Besides the rotary allready has 2 plugs per rotor... so a 3rd one won't really be worth all that effort....
Unread 08-13-2004, 08:57 AM   #43
Mars
Cooling Savant

That, is a sweat ass car. You don't see cars like that anymore. They are defineately one of those hidden gems or hidden secrets the public had no idea about except for the engineers. Other examples are the Datsun 510,
660 Citation Turbo, Buick Grand National, Toyota Corolla GTS...the list goes on. You just gotta find one.
Unread 08-13-2004, 12:07 PM   #44
killernoodle
Thermophile

I always wanted an 88 porsche 944 turbo, that would be a sweet ride. It is arguably the best handling porsche ever (that says it all right there) and they can be bought for less than 10k. It is also easy to get well over 300 hp with a chip and a slight increase in boost pressure. Boom, instant race car. Plus they are just damn sexy
Unread 09-08-2004, 02:56 PM   #45
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt357tw
#rotor, how much work would it take you to fabricate a 4(2+2 = 6? I need to count with my fingers again ) rotors rotory from 2 13B?

it should able to fit in that AM......
There are a couple of companies that make an ecentric shaft to make a 4 rotor...or was it a 3 rotor...

One company was using 12A housings.
mfpmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 03:27 PM   #46
killernoodle
Thermophile

That would be pimp as hell... stack them rotors up!
Unread 09-08-2004, 05:55 PM   #47
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

http://www.hurley-engineering.ltd.uk/hme13b.aspx

this place makes a 6 rotor 900BHP (non turbo) motor....

that's some serious shit they do there...
Unread 09-13-2004, 10:49 AM   #48
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

Has been a while since the last update... Sorry .....buzy

Some headlight trim Action....

Last edited by #Rotor; 09-13-2004 at 11:25 AM.
Unread 09-13-2004, 12:11 PM   #49
killernoodle
Thermophile

NICE, I thought the front end was missing a little something. Is that some kind of urathane (sp?) mold or something? Now to disguise that bright green bar across the front...
Unread 09-18-2004, 05:12 PM   #50
nicozeg
Cooling Savant

I'm sure that rotor has a plan for that face longly developed, and dome day he will reveal the secret!

Haha, great work Master!
nicozeg is offline   Reply With Quote