Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 10-14-2003, 06:58 AM   #1
doc_colton
Cooling Neophyte

Default Another Peltier Question

When setting up a TEC cooled system, is it advantageous to have the ability to turn on the cooling system (pelt(s), water pump, rad fans) separately, to allow the pelt to cool down without load, prior to actually booting up the computer, like prometias and vapochills do?
doc_colton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2003, 07:36 AM   #2
joemac
Cooling Savant

It does help with over clocking – the cooler the CPU at start up the more it will overclock (generally).
Unread 10-14-2003, 09:06 AM   #3
doc_colton
Cooling Neophyte

I have a spare 350W Enermax PSU that's rated at 26A @ 12V. Could I use it to power a 226W 25A peltier, an 80W 7.5A peltier, a 9W DC pump and a 120MM Panaflo fan? If not, would something like a Samlex America 320W industrial be adequate?
doc_colton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2003, 11:08 AM   #4
iggiebee
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by doc_colton
I have a spare 350W Enermax PSU that's rated at 26A @ 12V. Could I use it to power a 226W 25A peltier, an 80W 7.5A peltier, a 9W DC pump and a 120MM Panaflo fan? If not, would something like a Samlex America 320W industrial be adequate?
I'll say you're safe. Using a multimeter, the 225W peltier I am using pulls an average 15 Amps @ 12 V.

A word of advise: You will have to watch out for the temps in the wires from the PSU used to power the pelt. They may not be rated for high currents and will tend to get too hot running the risk of a melt down as it was in my case. I solved the problem by spliting the load between two 12 V rails.

"Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin (1773)

Last edited by iggiebee; 10-14-2003 at 11:16 AM.
iggiebee is offline   Reply With Quote