Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 01-05-2003, 03:34 PM   #1
Ion
Cooling Neophyte

Default 190 cfm Delta

Need a good 120mm fan for my Opel Kadett HC. I want it to be quiet, but it doesn't have to be dead silent.
Also, it would be nice to have the opportunity to get more cooling in situations where noise isn't a problem (LAN).
What do you guys think about this Delta 24 W 190cfm monster with a rheobus?
Will the Delta be quiet, and still work good, undervolted? I could of course get a quiet fan right away, but then I wouldn't be able to boost the cooling (when I feel the URGE...) =)
The HC is really tight, so I might need good preasure. Hmm, don't know for sure. Would you please give me some advice? Thanks!
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2003, 07:04 PM   #2
redleader
Thermophile

Holy shit thats the loudest fan I've ever seen. To anwer your question, no. Its unlikely you'd be able to throttle that fan to much less then half its normal voltage at which point its still pushing ~80CFM (give or take a lot depending on its electrical properties, moment of inertia, etc). An 80 CFM 120mm fan is still a screamer.

I consider 50CFM or so the quiet point for a 120mm fan, though you may hear differently. I'd probably consider a ~100CFM Sunon or Panaflo instead. That way you could throttle down to 50CFM if you're trying to rest and back up to a 100 for gaming.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2003, 05:48 AM   #3
Ion
Cooling Neophyte

Thank you, informative and nice. I should probably choose the fan with the most static preasure, right? Any ideas of which fan that would be?
Unread 01-11-2003, 10:12 AM   #4
phreenet
Cooling Savant

that fan is a joke. Just try to listen to music on your machine or watch a TV in the same room with that. I bet you could hear that through walls and stuff too. I wouldn't buy that.
Unread 01-11-2003, 11:23 AM   #5
megatron
Cooling Neophyte

Its too expensive really. I am looking at 120mm fans but I am just going to go for the cheapest variety at around 65cfm. I have an adjust able bench PSU which can control my 4 * 60mm deltas which I hide outside under my window on my rad. They are quite good at responding the the voltage change.

Edit:
They run from 14.8v down to 4v, so throttling isnt an issue for the deltas. Above 14v make no more speed increase.

Having said that my 60mm thin profile delta cant run at 7v from the computer psu. It does run from the bench psu at that voltage which is strange.
Find those cheap 120mm here:
http://www.thecoolingshop.co.uk/tcs/...p?idCategory=2

Last edited by megatron; 01-12-2003 at 09:03 AM.
megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2003, 12:04 PM   #6
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

FWIW...

For a heatercore, you'll want to shoot for a pressure drop of .25" H2O, and a flow rate somewhere between 120 and 160 CFM, for best performance.

From Bill's radiator roundup:

bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2003, 12:14 PM   #7
megatron
Cooling Neophyte

I don't understand that. My fans are not optimal since they have no shroud and I am sure they would be a little quieter if I used a shroud. They seem to push the air through OK from the air I feel on my hand at the other side of the rad.

Last edited by megatron; 01-12-2003 at 09:06 AM.
Unread 01-11-2003, 12:33 PM   #8
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Ok, let's look at that fan again (the one in the first post):
http://www.deltaww.com/products/dcfa...B120120254.pdf

It's rated for 12 Vdc (7.0 to 13.2), 1.45 amps, turns at 4'000 rpms and...

will deliver a max flow of 150 cfm, and deadhead at 0.489 in H2O.

At .25" H20, it'll do almost 120 cfm. It will however, hit a noise level of 56.4 dBa.

That being said... I believe that 4 * 60mm fans should make less noise, but I think that we're still debating that one... I plan to test with 9 * 40 mm fans (when I have time), maybe it'll clear up the issue... Either way, a blower (squirrel cage type fan) is quieter, but can be hard to find. It is however, a common car part...
Unread 01-12-2003, 09:13 AM   #9
megatron
Cooling Neophyte

The only reason I use 4 60 mm deltas is because I had them already. With the same dB rating and same combined CFM two 60mm fans will be louder than 1 120mm fan. I think the issue here is :
#1). Do you have spare 60mm fans already?
#2). The optimal coverage of the rad's fins. If I were using a shroud I think the fans would cover a wider area and also the dead spot in the middle. If I used maybe two 60mm and two 80mm glued as my 60mm are, directly to the rad, then there would be more rad fin area covered. Therefore being a more effiecient rad.
Unread 01-12-2003, 10:28 AM   #10
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

You might try creating a seperate chamber, within the shroud, for each 60 mm (or 80 mm) fan: some people have had some success with that.
Unread 01-13-2003, 01:14 AM   #11
Ion
Cooling Neophyte

Er... I'm rather into 120mm fans here =) Don't have 4 60mm, and it would probably cost more to buy those, than to buy one 120mm. Haven't used 120mm fans before, so I wondered how much noise 190cfm makes, and it seems a lot.
Will probably aim for ~70cfm then? Maybe less? Still need a good preasure fan, but I'll look into that. Thanks for the comments so far.
Btw, will probably use a PMW to control this fan.
Unread 01-13-2003, 09:19 AM   #12
megatron
Cooling Neophyte

Get a high powered fan and then at least you can control the speed, rather be limited to low performance only.
Unread 01-13-2003, 11:22 AM   #13
Ion
Cooling Neophyte

That was my initial thought, but the delta seemed too much. Not 100% positive that it will work (or even get rid of the noise) undervolted? Well... I'll have to think some more.
Unread 01-13-2003, 12:38 PM   #14
megatron
Cooling Neophyte

I got 80mm ys-techs. Noisy at 12v, ok at 7v, quiet (inaudible) at 5v. I guess the 120mm 105cfm version would be the same. I got another 80mm because I snapped one of the fins on one ys-tech in a blow hole and at 12v it is like (or less than) the ys-tech at 5v. There is no way to speed it up.