Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 05-18-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
placebo
Cooling Neophyte

Default Need someone to construct a Chiller Block circulating -80°C FLUID!!!

Hello together ...

I just found this website and forum while browsing through the internet ... well, I actually found the article about (#Rotor Waterblock Review).

So I signed up and this is my first post ...

My current project involves a liquid chiller which works down until approx. -80°C.

I do have the heat transfer fluids, special pumps, stainless steel hosing, etc. ... However ... at the moment I am starting to get concerned about heat-exchanger "fluid"-block.

Actually this would be more than just the block design .... What I am looking for would be a unit, similar to the Prometeia "cooling-head" (Just instead of having the heat evaporater block, I now need a heat-exchanger for the chilled liquid to circulate through).
The design should consist of the following:

1.) Fluid-Block
2.) Connections for stainless steel hoses
3.) Insulation
4.) Case with mounting holes

Ideally I am looking for someone who would be able to construct the whole "unit" and have it shipped to me. For a "complete" design and construction I would be willing to pay around $200 - $300 (hope this sounds realistic!)
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 07:08 PM   #2
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

I think it may be a fair bit more than that. I'm sure someone will pipe up shortly.
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 07:29 PM   #3
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

stealing from children, not cool

placebo
read up before spending, you're flying blind
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2004, 11:53 AM   #4
8-Ball
Cooling Savant

Beofre we condsider the block, could you explain a little more about the water chiller you are using.

Can it maintain -80deg with full thermal load from all the components?

8-ball

READ ALL OF THIS!!!!
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2004, 12:44 PM   #5
killernoodle
Thermophile

Probably not, it would have to be like 1hp or more. I bet the best he gets is in the -45c range with full load.

Have you already considered using something like a TDX with a copper top? I say the TDX because it only has 2 barbs. That wouldnt be that tough to modify.

Also, have you considered putting the waterblock inlet tubing inside the return tubing? This would help lower temps and make insulation much easier, plus it would look similar to a prommy
Unread 05-19-2004, 01:01 PM   #6
8-Ball
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
Also, have you considered putting the waterblock inlet tubing inside the return tubing? This would help lower temps and make insulation much easier, plus it would look similar to a prommy
If you don't mind me asking, how would this help to lower temps.

The only result I can imagine from doing this would be heating up the inlet water by a marginal amount.

8-ball

READ ALL OF THIS!!!!
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2004, 01:17 PM   #7
placebo
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for your replies!

Well, let me first tell you about the cascade that will be chilling the transfer fluid.
The final goal is the design of an autocascade. Probably running a mixture of propylene and ethylene.
The company I am working with at the moment is in the progress to get the cascade ready. However, first step before the autocascade is a traditional cascade. This is simply a step to gather experience before "going all out".

The temperatures are not "really" the issue anymore. I can design a cascade that will handle -100°C under full load (approx. 300Watts) - Viscosity of the transfer fluid is the much bigger problem.
I suppose that I will not be able to go much lower than around -90°C - However ... the cascade should handle this temperature at full load!

Since the cascade is not available for testing yet, I decided to do a test run using dry-ice, over a time period of approx. 2 weeks.
Unread 05-19-2004, 01:22 PM   #8
placebo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Probably not, it would have to be like 1hp or more. I bet the best he gets is in the -45c range with full load.
Hehe ... you obviously need a stronger compressor when chilling a liquid (compared to a direct die chiller).
The traditional cascade is using 2x 1hp compressors ... Autocascade will probably end up with around 1 1/2hp.
But like mentioned before ... the system will maintain -90°C or better under full load.

Quote:
Yes I have ... it would certainly be a lot easier to insulate. Also, it would not require as much space. So, yes it would be very nice if somebody could incorporate the design.
Unread 05-19-2004, 01:32 PM   #9
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

hmmm. . . . .
so you are seeking a design to be used in 'your' company's product ?

are you willing to pay for NRE (non recurring engineering) costs ?
if so, e-mail me at Swiftech

free advice can be had right here, a lot cheaper too
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2004, 02:18 PM   #10
mikoto
Cooling Neophyte

You certainly can place the inlet inside the outlet. What you will be getting, however, is subcooling in reverse. In this part of the cooling puzzle there is no change of phase. It is a pretty safe assumption that exposing the actively cooled inlet fluid to the fluid heated (albeit slightly) by the block will not result in a reduction in inlet fluid temperature.

I am unwilling to suggest that this will make a substantial difference in CPU cooling efficiency. This is similar to the whole "pump-rad-block vs. rad-pump-block" argument. It is beyond my "eyeballing" skills to predict what effect this would have on overall fluid temperature. My guess is none. It will, however, reduce block-surface/coolant delta-T. This is not a good thing, but in this case almost certainly not disastrous. If this arrangement of tubing does indeed result in signifigantly improved insulation, it may even be beneficial.

I agree with Bill. Spend some more time on these forums and on some phase change forums, buy a few books, etc.. before you sink a bunch of money into this. It is much more cost effective in R&D to have a very good idea of what you will encounter before you just start building stuff.

Also, $300? Not likely. You are talking about some pretty good change here.

[Edited for error in expression]
mikoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2004, 03:41 AM   #11
Jabo
Cooling Savant

Tell me one thing, I am curious here.
If you already have (or are going to have very shortly) cascade available why do you want to employ one more middle person (coolant)? Why not use your magical cascade with multi head manifold (I understand you want to cool more than just your CPU), just like Bowman did? So much more effective and easier in the end...