Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-18-2004, 08:49 AM   #1
Moony
Cooling Neophyte

Default Iwaki MD-30RZ-N07 Question

I just ordered this pump from ebay. I was wondering what the n07 specification meant, and what size barbs are on the pump. Here's a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...822554135&rd=1
Moony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2004, 04:20 PM   #2
murray13
Cooling Savant

Don't know for sure but it looks like a custom housing. With 5/8" hose barb connections. That might be what the 'N07' means. Either way looks like a nice pump.
murray13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2004, 08:59 PM   #3
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray13
Don't know for sure but it looks like a custom housing. With 5/8" hose barb connections. That might be what the 'N07' means. Either way looks like a nice pump.
looks like a standard housing to me (same as my wmd-30RZs have)
specs here (page 6 of 8) - has 18MM OD fittings (can't really call them barbs as they're not barbed - inlet is smooth, outlet has a two ridges)
http://www.iwakipumps.jp/products_e/...f/md_w2003.pdf
pauldenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2004, 10:35 PM   #4
murray13
Cooling Savant

Well 18mm metric corresponds to a 5/8" 'barb' connection. Only having a 3/4" NPT MD30RZ myself I wasn't sure.
Unread 06-19-2004, 12:32 AM   #5
Moony
Cooling Neophyte

Okay, so I can just fit my 1/2'' ID tubing over the ends...but is there any performance difference between this pump and a normal MD30-RZT?
Unread 06-19-2004, 01:31 AM   #6
gkiing
Cooling Neophyte

I doubt it, although you may get slightly more flow if you use a larger inlet barb.
gkiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2004, 07:21 AM   #7
Moony
Cooling Neophyte

So I can just slide the tubes on and I wont get any performance degradation? Or do I still have to build a res attached to the inlet?
Unread 06-19-2004, 03:04 PM   #8
gkiing
Cooling Neophyte

You can just slide the tubes on, 1/2" id tubes will probably fit, as 1/2 id = 4/8, and it's 5/8 fittings. You don't need to build a res attached to the inlet. What I said was that using a larger inlet such as a 3/4" will yield slightly better performance.
gkiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2004, 06:23 PM   #9
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Well 18mm metric corresponds to a 5/8" 'barb' connection. Only having a 3/4" NPT MD30RZ myself I wasn't sure.
not quite - 5/8" would be 15.875mm - 3/4" 19.05mm so it's quite a bit bigger than 5/8"... i imagine getting 1/2" ID over it wouldn't be too difficult given use of boiling water if neccessary....
Unread 06-19-2004, 09:35 PM   #10
murray13
Cooling Savant

Actually a 5/8" hose barb isn't actually 5/8" dia. Think about it, if the barb was exactly the same size as the hose inside dia they would just slide on and off very easily. I just looked up one manuf. hose barb sizes and for a 5/8" barb the largest part of the barb is .712" or 18.08mm.

So yes 18mm is the same as a 5/8" 'barb' connection.
Unread 06-20-2004, 05:28 PM   #11
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Actually a 5/8" hose barb isn't actually 5/8" dia. Think about it, if the barb was exactly the same size as the hose inside dia they would just slide on and off very easily. I just looked up one manuf. hose barb sizes and for a 5/8" barb the largest part of the barb is .712" or 18.08mm.

So yes 18mm is the same as a 5/8" 'barb' connection.
cheers - i stand corrected (kind of)

good to know my 5/8" ID tygon should do fine!
Unread 06-27-2004, 10:58 PM   #12
mannyaguilar
Cooling Neophyte

Default Saltwater Aquarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldenton
cheers - i stand corrected (kind of)

good to know my 5/8" ID tygon should do fine!
Hi all. I am buying an Iwaki pump for my slatwater aquarium (125 gal.) and I was wondering if you could tell me if this pump (IWAKI MAGNET MD-30RZ-N07) would do the job. They are Japanese motors, right? Any problem for saltwater use? I was planning on a MD40RLXT but it goes for $260. I can get two MD-30RZ-N07 for $75 (each, used). Would you think they would work. I am new using pumps for an aquarium, I am upgrading from a 30 gal. that used powerheads and power filter as well as a skimmer. Thanks in advance for the help. Manny.
mannyaguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2004, 01:03 AM   #13
JoeKamel
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyaguilar
Hi all. I am buying an Iwaki pump for my slatwater aquarium (125 gal.) and I was wondering if you could tell me if this pump (IWAKI MAGNET MD-30RZ-N07) would do the job. They are Japanese motors, right? Any problem for saltwater use? I was planning on a MD40RLXT but it goes for $260. I can get two MD-30RZ-N07 for $75 (each, used). Would you think they would work. I am new using pumps for an aquarium, I am upgrading from a 30 gal. that used powerheads and power filter as well as a skimmer. Thanks in advance for the help. Manny.
Well, considering that for saltwater tanks they suggest a turnover rate of 6-8 times an hour, unless you have a 1 gallon tank, its no good. You're going to have to figure out what you plan on using for a filtration system, if you're planning on running more than just a skimmer, stay with the RLT, they deal with pressure drop a lot better than the RXLT. Basically, multiply your tank size by 6 (I'd actually go higher, the fish in your tank are probably going to wind up costing more than your pump by a long shot so don't skimp), and then figure out the pressure drop from all your piping and filtration stuff and then find a pump that has the flow you need at that pressure drop.

If you need more info, try a forum that's actually about aquariums, like

http://www.aquariumfish.com/anforum/
JoeKamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2004, 01:32 AM   #14
mannyaguilar
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKamel
Well, considering that for saltwater tanks they suggest a turnover rate of 6-8 times an hour, unless you have a 1 gallon tank, its no good. You're going to have to figure out what you plan on using for a filtration system, if you're planning on running more than just a skimmer, stay with the RLT, they deal with pressure drop a lot better than the RXLT. Basically, multiply your tank size by 6 (I'd actually go higher, the fish in your tank are probably going to wind up costing more than your pump by a long shot so don't skimp), and then figure out the pressure drop from all your piping and filtration stuff and then find a pump that has the flow you need at that pressure drop.

If you need more info, try a forum that's actually about aquariums, like

http://www.aquariumfish.com/anforum/
Thanks for the information. The reason I asked about this particular pump here is because I did a search on this model and this forum was the only result. I will check the website you recommend. Thanks for the prompt response. Manny.
mannyaguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2004, 09:05 PM   #15
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyaguilar
Thanks for the information. The reason I asked about this particular pump here is because I did a search on this model and this forum was the only result. I will check the website you recommend. Thanks for the prompt response. Manny.
there's a WMD-40RLXT (i.e the american motored version of the one you were looking at) on ebay atm for $159....