Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 04-08-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
Ron
Cooling Neophyte

Default Half a Snap Server 2200...

Hope somebody can help... (anybody!)

I've just aquired a Quantum Snap Server 2200. It didn't come with a power supply so that's the first thing on my todo list tomorrow. The more worrying thing is that, on internal inspection, there only seems to be one 80Gb hard drive. The other 80Gb hard drive has obviously been removed.

I do have a copy of the latest SnapOS, but, after reading and searching on the forums here, it seems it's not as simple as buying two identical hard drives (probably 250Gb drives) installing them and then loading the SnapOS. It appears that there were some *files that were needed off the original disks to get the Snap Server up and running, and without these the upgrade cannot be carried out.

If anybody reading this has ANY ideas on how I can carry out this upgrade with only one of the original hard drives (which may be defective!) then please post any information you can help with.

Many thanks for any feedback with this.

Ron.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2005, 03:41 PM   #2
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Try to boot it with the one drive, it should do no problems - mine does.

If not you will need an image.

You need to check if others have used 250gb drives.

Just plonk one of the 2 250s in and see if it recognises it
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2005, 07:40 AM   #3
Ron
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks poogles_uk.

I've sourced myself a power supply, but it doesn't seem to be working at all with the existing 80Gb hard drive. I have the LED's flashing on the front (2 and then 1 repeated, top and bottom) but there has been no IP designated from my DHCP. Again, some feedback would be great. I know poogles_uk was talking about an image. Has anybody got an image from their existing 2200 they could help with?

Thanks,

R.

Last edited by Ron; 04-09-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Unread 04-10-2005, 03:18 AM   #4
Ron
Cooling Neophyte

Just an update.

I have succesfully got the existing 80Gb hard drive booting now and everything is up do date and working fine. Would like to give a big thanks to this forum and its members. With there being so little resources for Snap Servers on the internet, this place is invaluable. My next step will be to find out about java classes and applications and to what extent the existing OS can be modified; oh and to change that pesky noisey internal fan for something quieter. Hehe.

Cheers all!

R.
Unread 04-11-2005, 02:44 PM   #5
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

I want to change the fan to, so let me know how that goes.
Unread 04-11-2005, 05:29 PM   #6
Ron
Cooling Neophyte

Hi poogles_uk.

Well, I'm not going to change the fan just yet as it seems it was the hard drive making all the noise! It's very loud, but as I'm hoping to upgrade my drive(s) soon I'll leave it for now. The fan, looking at it though, should be a straight swap for any other of the right size. Just watch the thickness of it.

Unread 04-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #7
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

But if you look the power connection is a strange 2 pin thing.... Or maybe thats just my fan