Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 08-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
abuthemagician
Cooling Neophyte

Default Snap 4200 GOS 5 Windows Server 2008 AD issues

We have a snap server 4200 running GuardianOS 5.0.133. We also have an Active Directory environment running on server 2008. Since upgrading to Server 2008 on our domain controllers we can no longer use our snap server. Snap has been all but useless so i thought i would ask you guys. Any ideas on what i can do?
abuthemagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
MaddMatt

Default Re: Snap 4200 GOS 5 Windows Server 2008 AD issues

Hi,
Sorry to hear that you have had some issues...

Did you speak with any snap support guys at all or did you leave a message and they have not called you back?

The 4200's are getting on a bit.. do you have an active ATS support contract?
(this could be why they have not been helpful)
How did you get the GOS5 Update?
(they may be questioning how you got the update if you could not provide an ATS Contract number...)

I have been told to up the ram on my 4200 before going to GOS5, Phoenix may be able to advise further he has done it on other GOS units? Did you do a ram upgrade on the 4200 before you did the update?

They are also saying that all upgrades should be done through the CLI in recovery mode so you don't have to contend with all of the running services like CA eTrustAV etc...

With the support guys;
Call again to see if you can get a tech who is willing to speak with you anyway, they will probably;
a) Take you details and pass them to Overland Storage Support or;
b) Ask you to run a "syswrapper" and get you to send it to them so they can ensure that it is the Snap that is causing the AD issue...

Snap Support guys would be passing on any support issues to overland but if you get one who cares you may find that their interest will be tweaked and will help to find out for themselves what the issue is...

In CA they took the Adaptec sign down and put the Overland sign up so most of the R&D & Support guys are the same dudes, in Europe and other areas things may not go so smooth...
MaddMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post

I have been told to up the ram on my 4200 before going to GOS5, Phoenix may be able to advise further he has done it on other GOS units?
Sorry Matt, I am out of the support business. But, I will say this, I do not do an OS upgrade without at least 512MB as a minimum, and most of the time I will put in 1GB first.

I also almost always do upgrades through the Recovey Screen, unless it is just a Service pack or very minor update. And before someone says they can't because they would lose their data, let me say this. I have no sympathy for them. Anyone who has large amounts of data and does not have a place to put a full backup deserves what they get.
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
MaddMatt

the Recovery Screen bit makes perfect sense
(when you consider what happens with windows when you try to do anything major sometimes it just doe not like things running below... & I hate programs that will not allow you to turn them completely off I think that is just rude)...

The memory question has an opportunity for expansion...

I have been given 2x 256's to add to the standard 1x 256 in my 4200 so I can do the upgrade... but a test shows that the 2x NEW 256's are not allowing the 4200 to boot even by themselves or singularly...

Alternatively... Is there something I missed that need to jumper on the main board?

They are identical apart from the speed and this has not cause issues for me in PC's so I am expecting you to say that with ECC RAM it does make a difference...?

They are all REG ECC CL2 but the original is 266Mhz and the new ones are 333Mhz... I guess I should just test them but while we are on the subject what is your approach to this subject?
Unread 08-12-2008, 04:07 AM   #5
abuthemagician
Cooling Neophyte

I talked with support about this issue and doing some troubleshooting myself, it turns out that it is an issue with the version of Samba they are using. The issue is that it can't handle the joining of a 2008 AD domain. I was just trying to see if anyone here had found a workaround.
Unread 08-13-2008, 12:09 AM   #6
MaddMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuthemagician View Post
I talked with support about this issue and doing some troubleshooting myself, it turns out that it is an issue with the version of Samba they are using. The issue is that it can't handle the joining of a 2008 AD domain. I was just trying to see if anyone here had found a workaround.
I am very glad I was well off the trail in regards to your issue, biut also that you at least know what the issue is but I guess the most important thing is they are working on correcting it...

It would be great if you could let the forum know when the issue is corrected.

This thread will also help people! If they know about it will give them a choice to hold off upgrading before finding out the hard way... Thank you for sharing.
Unread 03-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
abuthemagician
Cooling Neophyte

The latest version of GOS (5.1.041) still does not support 2008 AD domains. They had a bulletin out in October of 2008 saying they were working on it. Here it is March of 2009 and they still don't have a fix. How hard can it be to upgrade Samba, then update their scripts? I am sure if I messed with it long enough I might be able to get it up and running, but I don't want to lose my data, and don't know how to go about backing up the OS so I can restore it if I kill it. Mind you I do have support until 2010
Unread 03-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Max8
Cooling Neophyte

I know nothing about AD but I have been told that a snap or any decent NAS is a great tool for testing that you have AD set up correctly...

Example;
I did an eval from a guy who could not get a loan snap onto his AD.... I got my techs involved.
He swore blind that his AD was setup correctly.

I took the unit back and we upgraded it from 5.0.133 to 5.1.041 as I had just received it & just to make sure we attached it to our AD and it worked no problem on our network.

I took it back to the potential customer and 3 days later no dice, it still would not work... 1 week after that, I chased up the reseller and I learn that it is going well... I don't know what happened and I don't want to embarrass the guy but I would imagine that there was something amiss that he had not seen before... all it takes is one small error or setting for your AD I guess...

I am quite certain that the AD issues are sorted in Gos 5.0.133 & 5.1.041 so try to go over your AD settings again just so you can rule that same issue (that my mate above had) completely out of the equation...
Max8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
abuthemagician
Cooling Neophyte

The issue is the fact that GOS 5 does not support windows server 2008 as of yet, due to the version of Samba that they use.
Unread 03-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #10
Max8
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuthemagician View Post
The issue is the fact that GOS 5 does not support windows server 2008 as of yet, due to the version of Samba that they use.
I must be wrong then, please kindly confirm that the next service pack or release solve your issue.

What version of AD are you on?
Unread 03-26-2009, 03:59 AM   #11
Max8
Cooling Neophyte

Re: Snap 4200 GOS 5 Windows Server 2008 AD issues

Still waiting on that AD version?