Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 05-20-2003, 01:30 PM   #26
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I cut blowholes in cases all the time. I don't think twice about venting a case if it's necessary, and I don't think there is anything spectacular about doing so.

I'm tempted in my next project to go for an acrylic and carbon fiber built-from-scratch case and incorporate an internalized/dissected Prometia or something and combine that with some sweet azz mini-watercooling on the NB, GPU, and SB. When done I want it to be a demonstration model to show skill when looking for a job on the other side of the mountains (I may end up opening my own small PC repair/sales shop over there). The way I look at it, there are no props for halfway: either you do it right, or you don't do it at all. You cut a blowhole? Who cares! You added a simple lopro watercooling system in combination with a phase change rig all in a custom case and lit up all nice, that is something else.

Biohazard grilles a mod does not make, but to make a beautiful and functional mod is sublime. I guess that's what makes the difference for me: the mod must be either functional, or it must highlight a functional custom component.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2003, 01:40 PM   #27
nexxo
Cooling Savant

I admit I'm with the functional brigade... still, good engineering can look beautiful (look at a fighter jet, or the Concorde, or a well-designed building or product). That is what I'd like to achieve in my PC. Less is often more, in my opinion.

What annoys me even more than people who ask about really, really basic mods ("how do I do this?...") while there are loads of tutorials about, are those that ask where you can get really simple and common components-- I don't mind rare or odd items, but, say, machine screws? I mean, do some research, people! Use Google! It ain't that hard!
Unread 05-28-2003, 11:22 PM   #28
Ice Czar
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by ezlid
Yep. Thats why I have a window in the hood of my truck, so I can see water, oil and ATF leaks when they start.

Thats why there is a temperature guage and oil pressure guage

a window mod does serve a utilitarian purpose, for those that havent install instrumentation

of course a window is sort of like a idiot light in a car...once you see it
its too late anyway
Unread 05-29-2003, 12:10 AM   #29
krazy
Cooling Savant

fuzzy dice and leopard skin fur INSIDE a case??

The static electricity would kill components pretty quickly I imagine.
Unread 05-29-2003, 01:42 AM   #30
lukasz70
Cooling Savant

stuff that pisses me off is when people are so proud of their cases when they look like shi*, they think just cause they buy all this crap and slap it on the case its cool or something mean while it looks really tacky, but i must say, i haven’t seen many cases like this in a while, and this is not counting lighting, if someone wont to show off their case go ahaed BUT DONT RICE IT OUT.

another thing is when people paint their cases for example black, but when they paint their drives, for some reason they use a different can of black paint and the shades don’t match or when they paint their cdroms without removing the bezel and stuff and you can see the beige crevasses around the cd rom tray
but this just goes back to it looking tacky
Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 7200rpm ata133 & 60 MAXTOR ata100@5400rpm
6xdvd, TDK dvd+RW
SoundBlaster 5.1 w/ logitech Xtrusio DSR100 speakers
Case: Enlight 7237
lukasz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2003, 05:38 AM   #31
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Location: 4-sided room with an exit going east, and an exit going south

The "different shade of black" phenomenon could be caused by the underlying texture on the surface that was painted. Light is reflected differently, making the surface look lighter or darker.

The most you can do with cans of spray paint is hope to get several cans from the same lot. This is the best way to be fairly certain that you'll get the same color out of multiple cans.
Unread 05-29-2003, 08:34 AM   #32
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by lukasz70
stuff that pisses me off is when people are so proud of their cases when they look like shi*, they think just cause they buy all this crap and slap it on the case its cool or something mean while it looks really tacky, but i must say, i haven’t seen many cases like this in a while, and this is not counting lighting, if someone wont to show off their case go ahaed BUT DONT RICE IT OUT.
Oh yeah! I hate that window mod where guys use that chrome trim . Personally, I plan to simply goop the window to the side panel, after I've nicely finished the edge with my Dremel, and painted it.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2003, 10:47 AM   #33
lukasz70
Cooling Savant

Quote:
The "different shade of black" phenomenon could be caused by the underlying texture on the surface that was painted. Light is reflected differently, making the surface look lighter or darker.
it very well could be, but mine matchs anyway you look at it,

Quote:
Oh yeah! I hate that window mod where guys use that chrome trim . Personally, I plan to simply goop the window to the side panel, after I've nicely finished the edge with my Dremel, and painted it.
LOL damn you you bastar* LOL your've seen my case
http://lukasz70.50megs.com/index.html

personally i think it looks good ONLY on a black case, chrome and black matchs, its like a black car sitting on chrome dubs
and besides, i had to cover up my hack job i used a jig saw, and home depot did't have any of that molding stuff that people use
and it was/is the first computer i modded,

as for the w/cing setup i;ve been building for a year now , well it was done a while ago, all i need is to lap my nb block and put together but i;ve been putting that off for a while

and when i was talking about cases looking tacky this is what i meant

anyone see this case yet?http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...tikel_213.html
6xdvd, TDK dvd+RW

Last edited by lukasz70; 05-29-2003 at 11:04 AM.
Unread 05-29-2003, 11:49 AM   #34
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

The only case I have done much to specifically for looks was the Pro/Lan box. But hey if you are gonna take it to LANs then it might as well be nice looking, right? And even that all started because Lian Li put a 80mm blowhole offcenter in the back. When I moved the PSU then it looked really funky so I decided to add a window. Anyway I was reasonably pleased with the look of that case, even if it is a bit over the top.

http://www.procooling.com/~phaestus/.../pc50angle.jpg
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2003, 12:18 PM   #35
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I got an old Antec SX830 I been threatening to mod for a couple years now. I finally did the window. Laser cut it at work and laser cut some gloss black trim. Actually looks good. I was going to do all kinds of other stupid stuff to it but then I realized there is only a couple people that see that computer and non of us care WTF it looks like as long as it works. :shrug: Kinda lost my motivation on that one.

Last edited by jaydee116; 05-29-2003 at 11:30 PM.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2003, 01:32 PM   #36
Yo-DUH_87
Cooling Savant

I realy dislike:

Bad paintjobs, if you're going to do it, do it right!

just about anything premod

people that "rice" their case without having preformance in mind (why waste $$$ if you're not going to make it go faster?).

biohazard, atomic, spiderman, etc. It was cool when it first came out, but it is old news. Get with it!!

"perfect wiring" I honestly don't care about how my wiring looks, as long as it doesn't impeed air-flow. Sure, if I do a mod I'm going to tidy my cables, but I'm not going to fold my IDE cables into some origomi shape to make it look neat!!

windows to show off, a stock computer. Guys, the only reasons you should even have a window is if you have something to show off!!!!

Acrylic cases, possibly this is just me, but I don't peticularly like most acrylic cases. Reason: you have to have everything perfectly arranged in a acrylic case! There is nowhere to hide!!!

LCDs with no purpose, if you have an LCD, USE IT!!!!

Oh, one more, Hard drive windows on NEW drives. Sure, they are awesome, but don't do it to a drive you plan on actualy using for anything marginaly important! Sheesh

If it works, fix it until it's broke!
Then, after it's broke, add duct tape!

Affordable webhosting!
Yo-DUH_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2003, 11:28 PM   #37
lukasz70
Cooling Savant

hey pHaestus, thats a very nice case, it looks really clean and simple but you can still tell a bit of work went into it

Quote:
windows to show off, a stock computer. Guys, the only reasons you should even have a window is if you have something to show off!!!!
as for case windows,
yes i agree, no point unless you have something to show off, it could even be a light show, but as long as its eye catching
lol, this coming from somone that has a stock computer with a window i guess i lost my motivation a long time ago i waited to long after i got my computer and figured why bother with an old computer
but if i get time i'll work on it
6xdvd, TDK dvd+RW