Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 06-07-2005, 05:43 PM   #1
Fr3nzy
Cooling Neophyte

Default In need of help...

This post might not be meant for this thread, pardon in advnace if it's not.

I just finished a computer class at school (I'm 17) and I'd really like to get into computer assembly and modification. During this class we learned just general terms, how to assemble a computer, so on so forth. After this class was over I talked whith my friend a lot about computer components, new technology, and just computers in general. I frequently skim newegg for computer parts and I've even built a computer for my friend (not same one as above). I've come to realize that I don't know nearly as much as I should for assembly of computers and for modifications. I don't know what half the abbreviations and terms even mean, let alone how that pertains to the component. I thought I had extensive knowldge, but I really don't. I didn't know, until yesterday, that having different cables on SATA drives can improve preformance (or so i'm told). I thought that when it came to CPUs and sockets, you could stick the CPU in as long as the mobo. socket was the right size. I thought thatHDD speed didn't make any difference in computing preformance...wrong. Now I realize there's so much I don't know, and I'd like to be able to know as much as I can.
However I don't know where to get started, I have no idea what to learn first. There's also still terms and abbreviations I don't know. Any help as to where I could/should get started on learning all I'd like to about computers would be great. So anybody who's willing to help either E-mail me, IM me (uberpoobhaman) or post here.

Thank's to everybody that helps
Fr3nzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Pretty much anything there is to know can be found on google.com. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...computer+guide

If you have spacific questions then ask them.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2005, 07:42 PM   #3
Fr3nzy
Cooling Neophyte

thanks very much
Unread 06-07-2005, 11:07 PM   #4
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

If you start building a comp post the parts you are planning on using and we will make sure all the parts are compatible and maybe suggest better parts if need be. Main thing to look for is the right socket for the CPU. If it is an AMD Socket A then get a socket A mobo ect.... Make sure the memory is compatible with the mobo ect... It really is not hard once you get used to it.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2005, 12:04 AM   #5
Fr3nzy
Cooling Neophyte

oh, well thanks! i'll do that.
Unread 06-08-2005, 09:09 AM   #6
HammerSandwich
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3nzy
I don't know what half the abbreviations and terms even mean...
Bookmark Acronym Finder.