Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 02-17-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
jman1310
Cooling Savant

Default Need advice on a New PC

I'm building a PC for a friend to play BF2 on.

I haven't been following the technology as closely as I used and was hoping for a little advice.

His price range is about $800.

I'm thinking 3.2GHz range, X700 graphics, gig ram, 74 gb raptor, and a largish PSU (he wants to run a bunch of drives). Equivalent AMD or NVIDIA hardware is ok, I don't care.
So basically I'm looking for a very stable MB/CPU combination, something you've used or heard tremendous acclaim for.

Thanks!
jman1310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
jman1310
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Need advice on a New PC

no takers? (bump)
Unread 02-17-2006, 09:56 PM   #3
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130256
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103535
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131530

2gb of ram for bf2, SERIOUSLY - yes, its that much of a ram whore. Rams cheap nowdays, grab 2gb of value stuff from a decent brand.

work around that, he'll be extremely happy if you can put something together of that variety. Graphics cards > all now days, cpu's are becoming less important. You'll need a decent psu.

Motherboard is a known reliable board, and cheap.

X700's should be thrown in the trash and compacted with your foot...

raptors are nice, but they only really decrease load times - if you're forced to downgrade other hardware for the raptor, just dont...

explain exactly what you have to buy, and what you dont....
Unread 02-18-2006, 01:45 AM   #4
jman1310
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etacovda
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130256
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103535
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131530

2gb of ram for bf2, SERIOUSLY - yes, its that much of a ram whore. Rams cheap nowdays, grab 2gb of value stuff from a decent brand.

work around that, he'll be extremely happy if you can put something together of that variety. Graphics cards > all now days, cpu's are becoming less important. You'll need a decent psu.

Motherboard is a known reliable board, and cheap.

X700's should be thrown in the trash and compacted with your foot...

raptors are nice, but they only really decrease load times - if you're forced to downgrade other hardware for the raptor, just dont...

explain exactly what you have to buy, and what you dont....
he's been playing on my machine with striped 74 raptors - it's nice to be the 1st one on a map

X700s have been working well for us - this isn't to be a uber gaming rig, just a mid-range and an upgrade is planned in about a year at which time this machine will be turned into a server and a real gaming machine built

2gb seems high for a game that only uses 600mb...

can you recommend a good PSU? I like Antec but have heard lots of bad things about them here

Thanks
Unread 02-18-2006, 03:40 AM   #5
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

he's been playing on my machine with striped 74 raptors - it's nice to be the 1st one on a map

- fair enough, bit of a waste of money in my mind if you're only giving him an x700...
but again, if you're using it for a server, why not...

X700s have been working well for us - this isn't to be a uber gaming rig, just a mid-range and an upgrade is planned in about a year at which time this machine will be turned into a server and a real gaming machine built

- then you werent clear about what you wanted. Considering it'll be spending probably more time as a server than a gaming box, options change.

- Google some '2gb ram bf' and see what you come up with... course, if you're only running an x700 at 1024, then i guess it doesnt matter, but i know where id be putting my money. The 7800GT isnt going to be seriously superceeded for a while yet, i wouldnt bother buying anything less if i liked playing at 1280 or above.

can you recommend a good PSU? I like Antec but have heard lots of bad things about them here

-antec are alright, ive always used enermax and had zero issues, but theres not a lot of options over here that arent horrendously expensive.

So basically all you're really asking for is a solid motherboard - the asus will do that job, but if its going to be a server (serving what, is the question) it might be better to go p4 depending on the processor load.

[/quote]
Unread 02-18-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
jman1310
Cooling Savant

- Google some '2gb ram bf' and see what you come up with... course, if you're only running an x700 at 1024, then i guess it doesnt matter, but i know where id be putting my money. The 7800GT isnt going to be seriously superceeded for a while yet, i wouldnt bother buying anything less if i liked playing at 1280 or above.

very interesting, I might be needing a new GPU and more RAM myself
I've been playing w/ a 9800Pro which seems to be about equal to the x700
I guess ignorance is bliss

Thanks Etacovda
Unread 02-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #7
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

you're welcome

the graphics card market has changed substantially since the 9800 era. 7800GT is definitely the best 'bang for buck' card you can buy at the moment.