Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 11-19-2002, 02:15 PM   #26
gmat
Thermophile

The same
Rumours, rumours and rumours.
As for any serious review or comparo between KT400 and NForce2... no luck.
Thats why i ended asking my questions here

Oh for the RAM.. If i order it from the US, shipping charges will make up for the difference... So i'll get ripped off anyway.
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2002, 02:21 PM   #27
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

AMDMB has a review up Click here . They compare the KT400 with the NForce2. They also have a review of the A7N8X, and the Leadtek K7NCR18D.

No one seems to have a review of the Epox 8RDA.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2002, 05:47 PM   #28
HelpImNewbish
Cooling Neophyte

I won't want to get the 8RDA/+, because it doesn't have Serial ATA. If i'm going to upgrade from kt266a, I want a board thats gonna have at least a lock or 1/6 divider, serial ATA RAID, and overclocking options for the future. I don't know why the hell epox is going to put out a board with no serial ATA. It is really dissapointing that the 3 best manufacturers, Abit, Asus, Epox, are all lacking at least 1 component of a good enthusiasts board.

I dont want to wait till Jan/Feb, so I might end up with the Epox, and hold off on serial ATA until later.
Unread 11-19-2002, 08:53 PM   #29
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

You'd be better off waiting.

SATA is in its infancy. There's already a planned revision to the specs. In short, it's WAY too early for SATA to be of any significance.

The Epox boards, along with a select few, are very good overclockers. Also, keep in mind that Epox doesn't do an all-out-frills board, like Asus, and that not everyone cares for all the doo-hickeys (they'd rather add their own peripherals).

Each mobo manufacturer has different advantages. You get to pick out your board according to what you are going to do with it.

If you're not sure, ask around, we'll be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

To start you off, I'll ask: why haven't you considered a SCSI drive?
Unread 11-20-2002, 02:35 AM   #30
gmat
Thermophile

Hey ho it's my thread (growls, drools)
---
I just need:
An AGP slot
4 PCI slots
A memory controller
memory slots...
and a CPU socket
(oh and standard backside conectors)

nothing else.
I couldnt care less about SATA.

Epox boards are totally unknown here, i found only 1 merchant selling one (8KHA), and it was an import (ie it's at $160 !!).
Asus make boards with very few 'doohickeys'. SATA or IDE RAID are doohickeys to me. As for onboard sound or ethernet they're standard in the chipset, so everyone has them...

As for the amdmb article... It only says the perfs are pretty similar, set aside driver / BIOS problems (that are usually solved quickly by VIA or Asus).
So is it worth spending about $600 to get a NForce2+RAM ? I'm not sure about that.
I'll wait and see...
Unread 11-20-2002, 04:07 AM   #31
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

i just read on a newssite that kt400a will be dual channel ddr.

halfway in the first paragraph:
http://www.tweakers.net/nieuws/24363

"Ook VIA's nieuwste socket A-platform, KT400A genoemd, zou de 400MHz DDR FSB ondersteunen."

source seems to have been anandtech comdex coverage
g.l.amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2002, 04:09 AM   #32
gmat
Thermophile

I'm wondering if i'm not better off getting an excellent KT333 board... Is there any with either a 1/6 divider or an async PCI clock ?
Unread 11-20-2002, 04:39 AM   #33
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

hey gmat; just read kt400a will be on sale from january, dual ddr, the works (barton support...) don't know if you can wait that long though
Unread 11-20-2002, 05:59 AM   #34
gmat
Thermophile

January - that should do it. I'll wait.
Buying 2 sticks of RAM is what is bothering me, but the looks are i won't avoid it...

BTW glamour do you have better prices than me ? (on Corsair XMS 3200)
Unread 11-20-2002, 08:39 AM   #35
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

Corsair DDR 512MB PC3500 C2 HSP € 340.97
Corsair DDR 512M PC3200 HSP400Mhz Cas2.5 + heat spreader € 260.15

think those are the regular european price (woo boy,...)

edit, cked the dual ddr spec out, u can find it here:
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1750&p=4

Last edited by g.l.amour; 11-20-2002 at 08:51 AM.
Unread 11-20-2002, 05:40 PM   #36
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I found an interesting A7N8X review here

I'll be waiting for the KT400A also, just to see.

I'll bet that a lot of mobo manufacturers are really peeved at Via, for what they didn't put in the KT400.
Unread 11-20-2002, 10:13 PM   #37
HelpImNewbish
Cooling Neophyte

I guess I could wait. A 9700pro will tie me over long enough, even without running it on agp8x.

If I finally get around to installing my w/c and get a GPu block, it should be alot easier to wait.
Unread 11-21-2002, 01:33 PM   #38
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

The new BIOS just released for the ASUS NF2 board supports FSB up to 250 in 1Mhz increments. There is your 233 FSB, Ben.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2002, 01:50 PM   #39
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

It's not on the Asus website... where did you hear this? (Bios 1001.C, original release)

233 FSB, that's my target!

Gotta upgrade the sig...
Unread 11-21-2002, 02:15 PM   #40
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I read on OCForums that it was released today. Somebody there had a link to the file.

In AOA forums for Epox Tech, it was disclosed that the max FSB selectable in BIOS is 200 (DDR400). I don't know if that was just a phuck-up or what, but it is worrisome ... about on par with them saying there was no PCI lock and refusing to answer whether there was a 1/6 divider or not. Epox is not looking good.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
Unread 11-21-2002, 03:45 PM   #41
gmat
Thermophile

Yeah Asus hit really hard with their latest A7N. PCI lock, incredible OCing, excellent layout, and perfect BIOS. Ooohh and the socket holes... They had to make up for the A7V333 fiasco...
If only the price would drop a bit...
Unread 11-21-2002, 05:14 PM   #42
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I got a link! A thread in a forum where a UK Epox tech divulges all about the 8RDA+.

click me!

Now if someone will go through all 16 pages, and extract the relevant info...
Unread 11-21-2002, 06:14 PM   #43
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

From that thread (and I quote):

Emericana:

Epox Tech, or anyone else who knows this for that matter.

Does the AGP lock also lock the pci speeds as well? like if i lock itat 66mhz will it also lock the pci speeds at 33mhz?

finally, on the website it says max fsb 333mhz. is that actually 333mhz fsb or does that just mean it supports 166mhz cpus? if it is not actually 333mhz what is the max fsb you can obtain on the board?

Epox Tech:

Hiya there. The AGP lock is to assist poor graphics cards with higher bus speeds / experimental overclocking measure.

PCI is still an issue with which to contend. PCI/AGP lock only features on our P4 product for reasons that will leave it only on such platofrms - as much as one wishes or dreams - physical limitations do exist.

Emericana:

Ok well if there is no PCI lock then what is the highest PCI divisor that will be available? is it still 1/5 or does this new board have 1/6 divisor?

Epox Tech:

I prayed you wouldn't ask that one !! Pls don't ask me that one. Gives me a feeling worse than tooth ache.

The board will stably do 200MHz sync if set correctly, that's all that matters.

---------------------

Word. This board sux hind tit, and Epox needs to get their heads out of their asses. Building and selling cheaply isn't going to cut it in an enthusiast board. Plus, it is offensive how these bastards lied. If Asus, Leadtek, and Chaintech can (LT and CT have early reports, little proof, though), Epox can, but it looks like they took the cheap suck route. Piss on em.
Unread 11-21-2002, 07:53 PM   #44
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by airspirit

Word. This board sux hind tit, and Epox needs to get their heads out of their asses. Building and selling cheaply isn't going to cut it in an enthusiast board. Plus, it is offensive how these bastards lied. If Asus, Leadtek, and Chaintech can (LT and CT have early reports, little proof, though), Epox can, but it looks like they took the cheap suck route. Piss on em.
So... What do you really think of the Epox boards?
Unread 11-22-2002, 09:25 AM   #45
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I think that the Epox boards are top notch, but they do have their limitations.

Hey what do you expect, when you pay $100, when the Asus counterpart can't be had for less than $150?

What troubles me is the mounting holes. I downloaded the 8RDA+ manual, and there's a pic of the mobo (no holes) but there's the CPU mounting section that shows holes.

(BTW, if anyone has specs on the mounting holes, please send them to me, or post them!)
Unread 11-22-2002, 10:39 AM   #46
HelpImNewbish
Cooling Neophyte

Now they're talking 8RDA2+........
Thats pissing me off. By the time a decent nForce2 board is out, the kt400A boards will be iminent anyway.

I'm with Big Ben - screw it, i'll wait for the 2nd coming of KT266A.
Unread 11-22-2002, 12:33 PM   #47
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Confirmed: the A7N8X does NOT have Vcore above 1.85.

There is however a mod.Click me

Note how this fella actually hit 211 FSB with 12.5 multiplier, for an effective memory bandwidth in excess of 3200 MB/s.

Nice...
Unread 11-22-2002, 02:08 PM   #48
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

There are early reports that say the PCI is locked on the Chaintech Zenith like they are on the Asus. Further, the VCore is BIOS switchable to 2.15V on the CT, the VDimm up to 3.2, and I forget what the AGP was .... They just updated the BIOS for Multiplier adjustment, and I think the FSB was adjustable very high (I can't find a number for the new BIOS update, though it is higher than 200). It comes with a temp display LCD (displays internal diode temp) and front USB/Firewire/sound. It has every frickin' option under the sun, has a yellow PCB, comes with round cables (2xEIDE,1XFloppy), has a beasty chipset cooler, but only has 1xLAN. At $185, at looks like a killer deal. Did I mention it has the mounting holes? There is nothing this board lacks, and it has outstanding reviews.
Unread 11-22-2002, 02:32 PM   #49
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Yeah, I saw that... it's cute.

I'd still stick to the Asus, with dual LAN (although I haven't quite figured out a use for it ).

It might be worth more investigating, but the color scheme alone throws me off.
Unread 11-22-2002, 03:03 PM   #50
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Dual LAN is good if you are doing internet connection sharing or using your machine as a bridge. Honestly, though, unless you are buying the board to be used as a proxy server or another network application, you only need one LAN port, and you're better off with a Router/Switch. Using your CPU to do the same thing will leech performance.

I thought long and hard about the same thing. It is good for folks who want to plug in DSL and then share it with another machine, but are too lazy or incompetent to get a proper network device.