Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 12-02-2002, 12:52 PM   #76
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

If anyone considered the Leadtek board, you might want to read this first.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2002, 04:40 PM   #77
gmat
Thermophile

Mmmh. I'm happy i ordered an A7N8X. Happy happy me.
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2002, 01:21 PM   #78
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Nice going!

I found a comparison/review of the A7N8X and the Leadtek board. It's in German (and unfortunately Babelfish poorly translates it!):

http://www.hardtecs4u.com/reviews/2002/nforce2/

In short, the Leadtek board does not yet have the ability to change the multiplier (but that should be fixed, right?). Max FSB is indeed 200 for the Leadtek.
Unread 12-03-2002, 01:47 PM   #79
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
I remember finding an article about that, but I lost the link. The answer is out there, and it's positive.
Maybe this article BB?
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2002, 03:00 PM   #80
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

No, but that's an interesting one.

Here's some more NForce2 goodness:

A7N8X voltmod (already posted?)
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...5&pagenumber=1

NForce2 board forum
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=27

Nforce2 board Forum
http://discuss.madonion.com/forum/sh...=&fpart=1&vc=1
Unread 12-04-2002, 11:18 AM   #81
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Here's a review of the Epox 8RDA+:

http://www.hexus.net/review.php?review=465

In short, no raid, but good price. 211 FSB possible, all the voltages available in BIOS. Nice.
Unread 12-04-2002, 11:37 AM   #82
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Default Nuclear Motherboard FuX0r

I am a BAAAAAAD Panda.

I misapplied my voltage mod last night when redoing part of my WC project (evil noisy pump: EXIT STAGE LEFT).

Plug in. Hit power. D-LED lights up. Gets to RAM.

Shuts off.

Clear CMOS, hit power, D-LED lights up. Passes RAM check (yay!) gets to VGA BIOS boot.

Shuts off.

Curse, hit power, D-LED lights up, gets to int 19h.

Shuts off.

Bounce ferret off wall, curse, gnash teeth, hit power, D-LED lights up, gets to RAM.

Shuts off.

And on, and on, and on, until I brought my computer in from work and started swapping parts in and out until convinced that nothing was bad except the mobo, which seems to be randomly overvolting itself and shutting down.

Newegg (yay!): Can I please have an EPOX NForce2 board? Oh, you can have it here tomorrow.

Sweet.

(I'm not nuts, honest).
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2002, 11:44 AM   #83
gmat
Thermophile

I saw no mention of PCI lock... bad point.
Unread 12-04-2002, 12:26 PM   #84
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

From all initial indications, there isn't one. I was just too cheap to go for a higher board, and I probably won't be attempting a high PCI push, anyway.

After buying a $140 pump, $30 fan controller, a $70 case, and a $50 WB/clamp set this month, I'm pretty tapped for upgrade funds. I'm going to wait for the hammers before I start spending in earnest.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
Unread 12-04-2002, 01:00 PM   #85
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

If someone wants RAID for the Epox, here's an extensive (36 pages ) roundup of 4 controllers.

http://tech-report.com/reviews/2002q...d/index.x?pg=1
Unread 12-04-2002, 11:22 PM   #86
jtroutma
Cooling Savant

FYI everyone

Another nForce2 roundup over at Anandtech.com

nForce2 Roundup

Heading over there right now to see what they have to say about them.
SCSI Raid 5 x (3) Cheetah 15K HDDs
LSI Express 500 (128MB cache)
OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU
ATI X850XT PE (Stock)
DTEK WhiteWater + DTEK Custom Radiator
Eheim 1250
jtroutma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2002, 03:23 AM   #87
Brad
Thermophile

I liked the abit quite a bit, the chaintech looks promising as well

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2002, 09:56 AM   #88
Quickmcj
Cooling Savant

From the Anandtech roundup:

"The A7N8X BIOS definitely does contain an AGP bus lock at 66MHz. However, what about the PCI bus lock at 33MHz? For this question we headed over to ASUS and asked them what was going on. ASUS's response was simply that they have a PCI bus lock set at 33MHz and that you have nothing to worry about as far as running your devices out of specification while performing FSB overclocking. "

"Even though there's definitely an AGP lock in the 7NJS BIOS, there isn't any visible PCI lock. According to Chaintech though, the 7NJS does indeed lock the PCI bus at 33MHz, there just isn't an option in the BIOS to tinker with it. We have no way of independently verifying this ourselves, so take it for what it's worth."

Last edited by Quickmcj; 12-05-2002 at 10:10 AM.
Quickmcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2002, 04:19 PM   #89
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

My EPOX 8RDA+ is a piece of shit!

This is my tale of woe.

System specs:
XP 1900+ AGOGA unlocked
8RDA+
1 stick of XMS PC2700 C2 512MB
ATI Radeon 8500LE
assorted hard drives/CD-DVD drives

With the initial BIOS, whenever a change was made, I had to remove the power cable from the motherboard and reinstall it before I could reboot, and when it did, it would display random FSB/CPU data. Irritating. To make matters worse, 50% of the time when I rebooted, I would also have to clear the CMOS before the board would restart. After an hour of frustration, I flashed to the beta BIOS.

With the beta BIOS, I was able to re-install WinXPPro (@12x100), and get into Windows. Whenever I would power down from Windows (shutdown menu), I couldn't restart the computer (except very rarely) without having to once again removing the power cable and reinstalling it.

I used to have my CPU @ 1900 Mhz (watercooled) at 1.85V on my KT3 Ultra, but now I cannot get into WinXP unless I am at 100 FSB and at equal to or lesser than the default multiplier.

To make matters even worse, the board randomly hangs during boot at C3h or C5h and won't start unless (you guessed it!) I reinstall the power cable to the board and clear the CMOS.

What kind of Bull***** is this, anyway? I just spent $150 to get this board here on next day air, and the thing won't overclock at all. Hell, I can't even run stock speeds on it! And god knows I don't want to open my f*cking case and reseat the power cable every time I want to turn it on.

I know somebody described wierdness in their POST screen in another thread on OC-forums, but has anybody heard of anyone else having problems with this board? Does anybody have any advice?

My advice to the NForce2 looky-loos is to stay away until they get some bugs worked out.
Unread 12-05-2002, 04:25 PM   #90
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

It sounds like a driver issue. What did you use?
Unread 12-05-2002, 04:40 PM   #91
gmat
Thermophile

Sounds more like a low-level issue. Either you've got a dud (it happens..) or a corrupted BIOS chip. I would RMA the mobo.
Unread 12-05-2002, 05:20 PM   #92
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I looked into the Newegg RMA thing. I guess I'd be required to pay for shipping both ways and wait a couple of weeks for a replacement. That is CRAP. Then I looked into the warranty program from Epox: they not only require you to pay for shipping both ways but they CHARGE YOU A FEE in order to use your warranty. What kind of crap is that? I am soooooo pissed I could just go through the roof.

Ben: this is not a driver issue, since most of the problems happen before the mobo ever talks to the HDD where the drivers reside. C3h and C5h are the second and third steps of bootup (out of over 100, it looks like), where the BIOS gets shadowed to DRAM and then over to some #0000f thingy or something like that (I don't have the manual in front of me since I'm back at work). I considered that the BIOS is buggy, but if what the failure code is indicating is the problem, then it is much bigger than just the BIOS being squirrelly. Plus, the fact that it won't clock up at ALL, even to stock, makes me think I got a junk board. I'm tempted to buy another board, wait until CompUSA or somebody starts carrying these in-store, buying a new one, returning the dud an hour later, and then selling off the new one (but by then it won't be worth two squirts of piss).

Gawd, does this make me mad!
Unread 12-05-2002, 05:21 PM   #93
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I suppose I could buy a second one from NewEgg and then return the first and just eat the 15% penalty without them being the wiser ... but $25? I'd rather buy some beer and cashews with it.
Unread 12-05-2002, 05:27 PM   #94
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

You could try a BIOS chip swap. It's cheaper...

Are you sure that you have all the jumpers right?
Unread 12-05-2002, 06:05 PM   #95
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

A BIOS swap is a risky thing. If my problems aren't limited to the BIOS chip, I'd just be throwing my money away. I'm going to keep messing with it, and if I can't get it to work, I'll find a way to RMA it for free somewhere with an instant replacement (time to be the BOFH).
Unread 12-05-2002, 07:36 PM   #96
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Okay, now I'm officially p*ssed. This f*cking board fried my hard drive. I am sitting here shaking with rage.

Oh, what I would do to an EPoX rep if one was here to face my wrath.
Unread 12-05-2002, 08:15 PM   #97
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by airspirit
I suppose I could buy a second one from NewEgg and then return the first and just eat the 15% penalty without them being the wiser ... but $25? I'd rather buy some beer and cashews with it.
I just RMA'd $400 worth of laptop memory back to newegg with no penalty. I would give it a shot.

Sorry about the HDD, though.

Bob
Unread 12-05-2002, 10:18 PM   #98
llarrythelizzar
Cooling Neophyte

Default Don't Rule out Chaintech

7NJS ZENITHâ„¢ Chaintech Nforce2

It features a onboard raid as well as Serial ATA but I think the thing that is the best about this board is the voltage controls. It allows for very aggressive Vcore and DDR Voltage. It also so lets you disable the PCI clock generator. This board has everything I look for when I purchase a M/B. It's not yet really avalible in Canada so i don't know the price, hope it falls well in line with the rest. The only think I'm worried about is if Chaintech is a good company. Anyone had any experience with them? GOOD BAD UGLY let me know thanks and check out that board I think it's what we all want!
llarrythelizzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 01:05 PM   #99
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I think the severe stability issues with my 8RDA+ might have something to do with chipset cooling, after much debate. The heatsink will burn you upon touching it (I have a blister to prove it).

If any of you have chipset fan recommendations, please make them here:

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...&threadid=5145

For the rest of you considering one of these boards, be ready to do some heavy aircooling on the nb, or even watercooling, or you will have problems even running stock speeds. That the manufacturers would put these pussy hs/hsf 's on them is criminal.
Unread 12-06-2002, 01:15 PM   #100
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

The same heat issue has been mentionned about the A7N8X.

Another waterblock...