Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 07-13-2003, 11:56 PM   #1
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Default I'm a fat bastard: time to go on a diet

I've gained 60 lbs in about one year. This is NOT acceptable. Maybe if I wasn't always posting here I wouldn't be in this situation, but I digress ... hehe.

Okay, here is the plan. I'm going on the Atkins diet from hell and coming close to killing myself.

Diet: Eggs for breakfast, a piece of bread with lots of sliced roast beef for lunch, eggs and choice sirloin center cut steak for dinner (practically no fat), a protien/amino acid shake for dessert (ugh) with a stack of vitamins. Total carb intake is under 20g per day. Total calorie intake is about 1800 per day. Basically, I'm a carnivore who has the diet of most american bachelors with a lot less booze and pizza.

Supplements: three different multi/specific vitamins and Hydroxycut (giving me the shakes and sweats).

Exercise: 45 minutes jogging per day plus walks to the water cooler for my daily gallon of water intake to prevent dehydration.

Result: so far I'm STARVING. This sucks, but I'm aiming at losing 30 lbs in the next 45 days. This is where you guys can laugh at my sorry ass ...

... starting here:
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2003, 08:15 AM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

The Atkins diet works: my wife lost an (undisclosed) amount, her step dad lost 28 lbs in ~3 weeks, and her mom is doing well with it too.

The only disadvantage is that the diet can make you loose some muscle mass, so if there's any way you can incorporate an exercise regimen in there, you'll stay in top shape too.

Da*n, 60 lbs in one year? My wife is jealous because I'm still at the exact same weight as I was 3 years ago: ~140 lbs (!)
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2003, 08:43 AM   #3
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Yeah, when I got married I was 135. I have a really small bone structure, so I always was lighter than I looked. Now, however ... heh. My dad looks like a beached whale and I'm going down that same road. I'm just willing to do something about it while he breaches on the couch in front of whatever sport is on that season.

I'm taking multiple amino acid supplements to assist in muscle retention, and I'm going to be jogging and doing basic exercises at home (it'll be a month before I'll have access to a good gym). Combine that with my martial arts (I'm a part time instructor), and I shouldn't have a problem with muscle cannibalism. I'm going to ensure that there is no reason for my body to need to do that.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
Unread 07-14-2003, 09:37 AM   #4
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

For those interested, the diet is rather simple: avoid the "four whites: sugar, milk, flour and ... salt (?). Bread is out. There's also certain vegetables to avoid.

My wife kept ordering cheeseburgers at drive throughs, "without bread"!

[edit]the 4th "white" is starch (not salt): bread, potatoes, etc [/edit]

Last edited by bigben2k; 07-15-2003 at 07:58 AM.
Unread 07-14-2003, 09:47 AM   #5
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I was in pretty damn good shape when I was at the construction company busting ass 10-18hrs a day in 100F+ weather in CA, AR, and any other place hot they always sent me. You sweat off any excess fat and kept pretty stong because it was very pysical work.

Now they sent me to the engraving shop (close to being an office job, sitting if front of a computer drawing stuff and then hitting the go button and engraving it) and after about 9 months there I gained about 20lbs and lost some strength. About a month a go I started kyaking more often and bought some dumb bells and work with them for about 15mins every night with some sit ups. In about a month I lost the 20lbs and gaining my pysical strength again. Back to being 6'2", 195lbs, toothpick lookling basterd.

Once you start getting back in shape you start getting more energy/will to do more things it seems....
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2003, 09:53 AM   #6
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Yeah, you have to limit carbs to under 20-25g per day. That is the equivalent to two slices of wheat bread. My intake will pretty much be one slice of bread, a couple ounces of milk, and a small amount of marinade for my steak. It really is teh sux while your body adjusts from a carb metabolism to a fat metabolism ... it should get better in a week or so, though.

But literally it means no white flour, no sugar, no milk, no sweetened anything, and very small amounts of vegetables and such. You have to take mad vitamins to prevent yourself from getting scurvy and shiz.
Unread 07-14-2003, 10:59 AM   #7
Boli
Cooling Savant

Easiest way to loose weight... go on a student budget

I tend to eat only every second day... it is surprisinlly how easy it is to get used to it... plus a cup of tea really helps when you are feeling hungry .

I suppose that isn't real healthy but I'm now burning off my "christmas reserves" so I'm not that bothered.
Boli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2003, 11:19 AM   #8
winewood
Cooling Savant

I am willing to bet I would loose 10 lbs if I just cut out sweetened drinks (soda).
Unread 07-14-2003, 12:37 PM   #9
zoson
Cooling Savant

Good luck with the Atkins airspirit. I was on it for a month and dropped 20 lbs. Keeping it off really requires some developed self control.
I tell you though, once you get off it, go eat an apple, it will taste like CANDY because of your lack of sugars. Best tasting apple, I promise you.
I've been on it once more since then, and found that the diet was much more effective with no bread involved... You might want to try having vegetable+beef stew for lunch instead of your open sandwitch.

Best,
-Zoson

Core i7 930 @ 4254Hz 22x193 | ASUS R3E 901 BIOS | 12GB Mushkin Blackline 3x4GB @ 1547MHz 7-8-7-24-1N | Lian Li PC-A10B
2x EVGA GTX275 SLI @ 720/1266/1566 | 2x 80GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD Raid 0 | 3x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 7.2K Raid 5 | Corsair 950TX
H2O | Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A | EK-FB RE3 | Swiftech - 2x MCW60/GTX275 Unisink, MCP655b, MCRes Micro.v2 | 3x HWLabs SR1-120
あなたの神への弓
Time isn't wasted, when you're gettin' wasted.
zoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2003, 12:53 PM   #10
Bignuts
Cooling Savant

Default Yeah but...

Don't overlook the fact that on the atkins diet you also increase your chances of cancer...

Better yet, make your own diet by limiting one of the follow ing and just slapping your name on it: Protein, Fat, Carbohydrates

Good luck!
Bignuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2003, 01:12 PM   #11
ItsSoLARGE
Cooling Savant

You guys know any of any good guides for following the Atkins diet
Unread 07-14-2003, 01:28 PM   #12
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
The Atkins diet works: my wife lost an (undisclosed) amount, her step dad lost 28 lbs in ~3 weeks, and her mom is doing well with it too.

The only disadvantage is that the diet can make you loose some muscle mass, so if there's any way you can incorporate an exercise regimen in there, you'll stay in top shape too.

Da*n, 60 lbs in one year? My wife is jealous because I'm still at the exact same weight as I was 3 years ago: ~140 lbs (!)
Damn, I am surrounded by Lilliputians!

Ben, 140 lbs.? My left leg (the smaller one) weighs more than that! I'm assuming you are taller than 5'. Time to put the keyboard down and start eating!

I too have decided to take my shot at (a modified version of) the Adkins diet. I can't seem to get away from the morning bowl of cereal thing.:shrug: But I need to get down to either 245 or 275 by October (next Powerlifting meet). Depends how the dieting thing goes.

Too early to say for sure, but I don't seem to be losing much in the way of muscle mass (at least as measured by strength). I'm also not trying to lose weight too fast!

The one bad thing is that I already was eating fairly "clean", so there are no "easy" calories to jettison (a la winewood's sodas) . I guess I'll just have to do it the hard way!

Bob
Unread 07-14-2003, 01:29 PM   #13
dabum
Cooling Neophyte

Default My favorite diet...

Would have to be the "Hacker's Diet" . It promises that you can lose weight (and hair) through stress and poor nutrition.

Very funny / educational read.
dabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2003, 02:32 PM   #14
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

The Atkins diet is available in paperback. It shouldn't be hard to find, even at Wall-Wart!

Actually, I'm a full 5' 10 1/2": whoever thought they were a stick, is not alone! Ideally, I'd put on about 20 lbs, but the most I ever got to, was 155, then I got a chronic intestine infection (Crohn's disease), spent 10 days at the hospital, and dropped to 127lbs just in time for my best friend's wedding, so I've got the bony faced picture to prove it.
Unread 07-14-2003, 03:53 PM   #15
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

You're right. I'm getting rid of the piece of bread. What I'll do is keep making the beef taco sandwiches and consider the bread a wrapper to be discarded. I just found out that mozzerella sticks are .5g carbs, so I'm munching those like crazy now. Between my few oz of milk, cheese, and 1/2 tsp of sauce for steak, I'll be at 10g of carbs per day TOTAL. Heh, that'll fugger my glucose levels up right and proper .... My favorite bit about this though is that I don't have to starve myself. When hungry I can just go eat ... as long as it's meat or cheese or eggs, hehe.

For breakfast you can eat eggs and bacon and sausages instead of cereal. I actually am happy to get away from the whole cereal mess. As far as soda went, I was only really drinking it for booze mixers ... now THAT is something I'm going to miss.

It's kind of funny ... over the last year I've quit smoking for good (probably a big factor in weight gain), dropped my six pack of soda per day habit, cut my boozin' down dramatically, got fat, and started a diet. Maybe I'll be the next major self-help guru? Eh, prolly not. I curse too much to appeal to the Oprah crowd ....
Unread 07-14-2003, 05:41 PM   #16
winewood
Cooling Savant

so ehh... bigben.. where can I get this Crohn's disease. I think it may be the only way I loose weight.
Unread 07-14-2003, 06:00 PM   #17
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Yeh I want to loose weight, just not as much as I like fried cheese, custard and beer...

welcome to Wisconsin, can we offer you a belt with a few more holes in it?

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2003, 06:01 PM   #18
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by winewood
so ehh... bigben.. where can I get this Crohn's disease. I think it may be the only way I loose weight.
I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy!
Unread 07-14-2003, 06:11 PM   #19
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

All those healthy athletic people...
guna grow old and die of nothing.
Unread 07-14-2003, 06:13 PM   #20
Boli
Cooling Savant

No, you would... you just haven't found your worst enemy yet.

/end cynicism
Boli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2003, 06:29 PM   #21
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Boli
No, you would... you just haven't found your worst enemy yet.

/end cynicism
Well, if you've got a kick for new levels of pain, then ok, I'll wish it on you

The gas buildup inside the intestine, from the inflammation feels like someone is twisting a knife inside of you then there's the blockage, which will land you in the hospital for ten days, on a liquid diet. Nothing tastes the same for about a month:shrug:

So to avoid that, I'm supposed to take this med 4 times a day I'm too young for this s*it!
Unread 07-14-2003, 09:55 PM   #22
winewood
Cooling Savant

OW!

Ive had gas paid that laid me flat on the floor. In no way shape or form do I want that! BAH..
Unread 07-15-2003, 12:27 AM   #23
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Okay, I'm on day 2 and I'm already in mad ketosis. I just took a test and I'm off the charts, hehe. That means I'm burning fat like a mofo. Skinnyspirit here I come!

By the way, I am not hungry in the least and I'm not faint anymore. This rawks.
Unread 07-15-2003, 06:53 AM   #24
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Nice. There's a test for this?

Quote:
Originally posted by winewood
OW!

Ive had gas paid that laid me flat on the floor. In no way shape or form do I want that! BAH..
Yeah, it's a really weird feeling, when you bend over in what seems like an instinctive reaction!
Unread 07-15-2003, 07:50 AM   #25
Aardil
Cooling Savant

Good luck on the diet my wife and daughter are both on it.
Daughter isnt really over wieght but has medical problems (Cystic Fibrosis), its part of her doctors latest plan to keep her healthy. Wife is on it so daughter is not alone ( and could loose a few) OOPS did I say that outloud?
Daughter is doing well and actually feels a bit better since getting on the diet and Wife has dropped 25+ pounds.

Myself, I am one of those lucky few who can eat anything and never gain anything.
5'5" 180 lbs. I owe my it all to erratic eating habits lack of sleep and undieing need to finish everything I start before I stop to eat or sleep. Not really healthy but it keeps me in fairly good wieght range. Yes one day I will keel over dead from this, I am sure but we all have to go sometime and DAMMIT, I refuse to go while beating myself up trying to " stay healthy".
I do wish you the best on your diet ( and YES bread is definately out along with potatoes if you want the diet to work)
Aardil
Aardil is offline   Reply With Quote