Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 08-01-2002, 01:58 PM   #26
Skulemate
Cooling Savant

$120USD? Wow, that's quite pricy... I don't suppose you're offering a discount for your fellow Canadians who want to pay with our own multi-coloured currency?

12.1 GHz of AMD's finest (17.7 GHz total) crunching proudly for the AMDMB.com Killer Frogs
SETI BOINC: Dual Opteron 246s (Iwill DK8N) | XP2800+ (Shuttle SN41G2) | 3x XP2400+ (ASUS A7N266-vm)
SETI BOINC: 2x P4 2.8E (ASUS P4R800-vm) | Crunching 24/7
Skulemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2002, 02:08 PM   #27
Paul_Vodrazka
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for posting the link, and thanks for all your kind words. You guys are gonna make me blush.
Paul_Vodrazka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2002, 02:15 PM   #28
Paul_Vodrazka
Cooling Neophyte

Yes, you'll get a discount...................on the shipping.

just kidding. As I've said to others already. I appologize for the over-the-top price, but I only have a dozen to sell and I invested a lot of time and money of my own to make them. If I had my own equipment, I could make them in higher quantities and let them go for much less. I think it's a little high myself, but after doing the math, it begins to look like a bargain.
Unread 08-01-2002, 02:28 PM   #29
Skulemate
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Vodrazka
Yes, you'll get a discount...................on the shipping.

Very funny... oh well, I had to ask.

12.1 GHz of AMD's finest (17.7 GHz total) crunching proudly for the AMDMB.com Killer Frogs
SETI BOINC: Dual Opteron 246s (Iwill DK8N) | XP2800+ (Shuttle SN41G2) | 3x XP2400+ (ASUS A7N266-vm)
Unread 08-01-2002, 03:01 PM   #30
webmedic
Cooling Savant

still offering to test it for you.
Unread 08-01-2002, 03:05 PM   #31
Skulemate
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by webmedic
still offering to test it for you.
Great idea. If you had some performance data I personally would be far more inclined to spend the money... I mean, it's beautiful and all, but I cannot afford that sort of cash unless it is at least on average with other commercial blocks. You should definitely look into having it tested.

Unread 08-01-2002, 04:40 PM   #32
Paul_Vodrazka
Cooling Neophyte

Email me with your info, and I'll see about sending one out for testing.
Unread 08-02-2002, 04:15 AM   #33
DarkEdge
Cooling Savant

Way to much money for the block. It would have to offer one hell of an temp. drop compared to the blocks out now. I would say atleast 5c.

From a looks point of view it IS A LOOKER.
DarkEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2002, 06:52 AM   #34
Skulemate
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkEdge
Way to much money for the block. It would have to offer one hell of an temp. drop compared to the blocks out now. I would say atleast 5c.

From a looks point of view it IS A LOOKER.
I disagree with that. It is a lot of money, but I feel that you are mainly paying for aesthetics, as well as the fact that you're going to own a block that is very rare... to me, that's worth the cash if the block performs on par with other commercial blocks. That's my take anyways.

Unread 08-02-2002, 01:51 PM   #35
nexxo
Cooling Savant

Just give me one of them P4 blocks, and I'll give you the ca$h.
Unread 08-02-2002, 04:34 PM   #36
JimS
Cooling Savant

I've made my share of blocks and $120 for those units is a bargain. It is hard to appreciate the amount of planning and work that goes into one of these little pieces of metal.

Top notch work.
JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2002, 07:18 PM   #37
Paul_Vodrazka
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for coming to my defense guys.

It is a lot to pay, but it really is a lot of time and effort to make these blocks, not to mention material costs. just the cap screws alone cost a lot more than you'd think.

I expected to get my fair share of criticism over the price, but If I let them go for less, I wouldn't be able to buy more material for the next batch. My wife is already on my case over the money and time I've put into this project.
Unread 08-03-2002, 05:06 AM   #38
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Like I said on [H], they are just beautiful, and I know how much time it took to machine something like this, so I think price is quite right for a job like that, it's not the material cost that problem it's machining time that cost a lot, and with your incredible block complexity and lots of parts it's very understandable. Performance wise they probably won't be better than something like maze3 or spiral, but you're not paying for that, you're paying for looks and incredible attenton to details, look at this like comparing Corvette to Porsche 911
morphling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2002, 10:37 AM   #39
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I agree with Morphling, that block is a piece of art, and one needs to know the machining process to fully appreciate the work that went into it. 120 USD is a fair price for it.

I on the other hand, don't care much for the esthetics, I'm more practical in what I do, so I'll pass, but I will give it "two thumbs up"!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2002, 12:35 PM   #40
nexxo
Cooling Savant

Like I said before, I've just put in an order for one of the P4 blocks. My philosophy is: you pay what you think it's worth. And I think it's worth the $120,-- asking price.
Unread 08-04-2002, 07:20 PM   #41
The Spyder
Cooling Neophyte

Do you have p4 blocks? Id bewilling to grab one from ya..... or a kit that makes the Amd model fit the Intel???
Unread 08-04-2002, 08:11 PM   #42
Paul_Vodrazka
Cooling Neophyte

I am making P4 versions of this part next week or the week after. Depends on how busy we are at work.

I still have a few blocks that are not spoken for. I can have a P4 block ready to ship within 2 weeks.

After I receive some cash for this batch, I can go and buy some more material and produce a few more blocks. I'd also like to make a few video card and chipset blocks.

If you are serious about buying one of the blocks from this batch, email me. I don't think they will be available for too much longer.
Unread 08-05-2002, 10:26 PM   #43
Limeygreg
Cooling Neophyte

I have to say that your WB's look fantastic, definately artwork. Having just completed my own WB, albeit on a hand cranked mill rather than a CNC I can say that the price is very fair based on the kind of detail I see. Handsome blocks indeed.
Limeygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2002, 03:08 PM   #44
bikr
Cooling Savant

question.. wouldn't it benefit you to have the input directly over the center of the block.. by the time the water reaches the center it seems as if it'd already be warming up , i know it's slight , but every .01 degrees count.. --bikr nice design though
bikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2002, 04:20 PM   #45
decodeddiesel
Cooling Savant

Paul, that is without a doubt the most creatively, and cleaverly built block I have laid eyes on. Outstanding job, simply amazing!! I really wish I could shell out $120 on a block, but on E-4 pay it's not a reality. hopefully someday you could put them into a limited "mass" production so the price would come down, but I'm afriad all I can do is daydream about having one of these beauties sitting on my processor.
but i'll never be top of the line again
...i'd rather be nothing...
decodeddiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2002, 04:34 PM   #46
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Very nice work! As one who mills his own blocks I would say it would be fair to ask $120 for it, if it is worth it performance wise is another subject, but it sure looks damn cool!

Copper is a bitch to mill.

One thing I am wondering about though is the Aluminum and Copper mix??? Is the Aluminum tops Anodized? If not what about the battery effect?.

Nice work.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 02:35 PM   #47
nexxo
Cooling Savant

AS long as you use distilled water (de-ionised) and some corrosion inhibitor like Water Wetter or Purple Ice, mixed metals should work out OK. Besides, unless I'm mistaken the battery effect does not apply when the two metals are in actual contact with each other...
Unread 08-09-2002, 05:05 PM   #48
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by nexxo
unless I'm mistaken the battery effect does not apply when the two metals are in actual contact with each other...
Pretty sure it is the otherway around! Only happens when they ARE together. And if that is so it doesn't matter what you are using for the liquid. I know when I use brass barbs with my aluminum blocks it gets a nice red corrossion around the barbs. I assumed that was the batter effect. I can very well be wrong though. In any event I would get he plexy top, not because of the battery effect, bit because it looks better IMO.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2002, 09:06 AM   #49
maskedgeek

i still had my question about the mounting...

it was why do you use that other center screw also? why not just nuts bolts and springs on the 4 holes???
maskedgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2002, 06:48 PM   #50
DodgeViper

maskedgeek, he answered your question already. Look at the post where you asked the first time and his reply is the next one in order.
DodgeViper is offline   Reply With Quote