Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 01-16-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
-=Mr_B=-
Cooling Neophyte

Default Yo-Duh_87,s load sharing psu thingy, for redundancy?

This would have to be dupliated for all the voltages i asume, but is it really all it takes? Im not the electronics wizard here, so im going to ask straight out, is it possible to swap a few of the components, for lower voltage spec'ed once, and cover all the voltages in a ATX motherboard, and hook it up? How would you have to treat the negative lines? The comon ground, should just be that, comon ground. Might want to add a relay on the power good of each psu aswell, to cut the power completly, and light some status light, if a psu dies.

Am i insane just thinking about it? Just though of it when i read the article, i actually have no idea if it can be done, or how one would go about doing it.
B!
-=Mr_B=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Default Re: Yo-Duh_87,s load sharing psu thingy, for redundancy?

I opted to use the negative voltage rails from the first power supply; it's a waste of effort otherwise.

As for status lights, every PSU has a number of output lines that you can tap into. Namely:
Power_Good (aka power_ok); will be high (TTL output level, 5 volts) when all the voltage rails are in spec. A simple LED and resistor will allow you to monitor that line.

I opted to adapt pHaestus' circuit, to indicate that each PSU is receiving AC. Alternatively, you can use the +5 sb (standby), which is always on (as long as there's power, and the PSU is switched on, if there's a switch).

Note that I haven't completed this project yet, but there is a thread on this in here... somewhere.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 04:03 PM   #3
-=Mr_B=-
Cooling Neophyte

Well, you cant opt to use power from one source only, if your going to try and make it redundant. One would have to make all the wires go to all the right places, or if the wrong psu fails, it still kills the rig.

Is it at all posible to do something with the negative rails so they work in a "orderly fashion" and behave?

Is it possible to alter a few components, and get the 5v, and 3.3v to work in the same way?

The bigger issue here aside from the "how to" must be when hooking up alot of amps, and starting to actually use all that. The pcb will have to be able to actually transfer all the current without catching on fire itself.

It sounds like i need to look around for this "lost" thread a bit.
Theoretic electronics really aint my thing, im able to do good soldering, and assemble stuff, but the actuall brainstorming behind it all by far surpasses my capabilities. Its never to late to learn i hear, and this seams to be a intresting project, if any.

Thanks for the input, i'll go scavenging, lets hope i find that thread.
B!
-=Mr_B=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #4
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

It is quite possible to apply the exact same circuit, with some component swaps.

As for handling the power, heat is minimized by the use of very low resistance MOSFets. Check the specs.

I see that you found the thread. I'll post a bit more info there.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote