Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 04-30-2003, 03:36 PM   #1
Pheonix
Cooling Neophyte

MaxiJet 300GPH Pump - Any Good?

This is my first post...so be gentle

http://becooling.safeshopper.com/35/193.htm?632

This pump. Anyone got one/used one, and what did you think of it?

Any good?

Cheers for any help!
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2003, 04:02 PM   #2
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

I use MJ1000 (european version, 50 Hz, 220 V) 24/7 for last 7 or 8 months, and I'm very satisfied.

Do a search here on the forums for some more info.

PS, think that 30$ is little too much for it, search on e-bay, someone posted a link for a MJ 1000 for (if I remember correctly) around 15$.

Cheers!

/edit:

Duh, almost forgot to behave,

Welcome to the forums!
Unread 04-30-2003, 04:18 PM   #3
Pheonix
Cooling Neophyte

I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm in the UK...so I expect your Ebay link is only idea for UK people. The pump is available for £20 in the UK, which aint too bad.

The BECooling one I linked to though, has barbs prefitted. Does the pump have any barbs fitted to it as stock (I guess not) and could I just thread whatever size barbs into it that I wanted. Thinking 3/8 here.
Unread 04-30-2003, 04:28 PM   #4
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Sorry, I missed that you are in UK...

The pump(s) I've bought here are with no barbs, and the intake is (I think) 19 mm dia, and the plastic rim of the intake is thin so I guess you won't be able to thread it.

I've got a 16 mm ID vinyl tube on the intake of my pump, heated the tube and fitted it on.

Cheers!
Unread 05-01-2003, 04:16 AM   #5
8-Ball
Cooling Savant

What is the maximum head rating, or does anyone have a P-Q curve for the maxijets. I suspect, an eheim 1048 or a hydor L20 would perform better, for not a huge amount more. (the 1048 is £32 from pclincs.co.uk)

8-ball

READ ALL OF THIS!!!!
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2003, 11:40 AM   #6
Pheonix
Cooling Neophyte

lol I was waiting for that

Seriously though, after reading what BECooling said, about them being qualified for 10yrs use, I was just wondering really!
Unread 05-01-2003, 11:45 AM   #7
8-Ball
Cooling Savant

[opinion]

I don't see the point of saving money on a pump. If you get a cheap block, it probably won't perform as well as an expensive one, similarly for a radiator. However, if you get a cheap pump, they have to save money somewhere on the manufacturing, and you can bet this will be cheaper components. If it fails, then it doesn't matter how good the spiffy block is you managed to stretch to by skimping on the pump. Your cpu will still die, unless you catch it in time, or you have thermal shut off.

If anything, I'd say it's just for piece of mind, and to be honest, the 1048 isn't exactly expensive.

[/opinion]

8-ball

READ ALL OF THIS!!!!
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2003, 12:17 PM   #8
mad mikee
Cooling Savant

Default If yet get MJ get the MJ1200

MJ1000 is 265 gph
MJ1200 is 295 gph (also w/out attachments to limit flow (becooling attachments limits flow to 3/8", and they are pvc cemented on).

Find a local aquatics store online, much cheaper than the 'local' guy. I got 2 for 40$USD from premiumaquatics.com (USA)

Small (reason I got it). Got a picture of one next to a ~3" diameter tupperware on page 2 of 'log of my concoction' so you can get an idea of scale. I crazyglued the impeller (moves a little (let aquar. debris pass)), gluing is supposed to reduce hum.

Also noticed during previous tests that it runs very warm, so should definately be in airflow.

This thing is encased in a hunk of epoxy?:shrug:, and the only moving part is the impeller so I think it should be okay. I hope to test my cpu loop this weekend so keep an eye out for updates and I will try to give more impressions of the MJ1200.

Oh and I have a 1250 laying around as backup, but this should be sufficient for my needs and only about 1/2 the size.
DFI ULTRA D (SLI Modded just because) 4200 x2 @ ~ 10 x 260 /1.49 Vcore , G5 + PA160 + 150mm Papst@5V + Maze 4 GPU + mcp350. Temp 36-37(load-2 x D20L) 2x1GB Ballistix PC4000, x800xl 256m, 74G rap + 160G Hitachi SATA , 21" mit/nec 1920x1440 Crt + 19 Neovo F-419 1280x1024 LCD, OCZ Powerstream 600

Hers: (my beloved who lets me do all this)
LianLi PCV1000, SD3700 @ 9x300, 1GB GBLA, 250+ 120 SATA, X700pro, 19" Neovo F-419 LCD, another OCZ 600
mad mikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2003, 12:23 PM   #9
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

FWIW...

I believe that the Maxijet line is designed for submerged operation, which would explain the low cost, and the high heat, when run in-line.

These are definitely good pumps: I have yet to see a user complain about one. (yes Bill, that's the limit of my contribution on this)

I would consider running two in series, if I didn't already have a pump.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2003, 01:01 PM   #10
Pheonix
Cooling Neophyte

Might build a box for it to go in then...

EDIT: Anyone know how to connect the pump output to a barb type thing on the outside of a res? ATM I can't think of anything to use!

Last edited by Pheonix; 05-01-2003 at 01:29 PM.
Unread 05-01-2003, 02:57 PM   #11
babyeater
Cooling Neophyte

I have a european MP1200 its 14watts and runs very cool in inline operation its rated at 1.5meters head (mine done a bit more)
I bought from http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk
great pump have it near a year now a lot of that was submerged use so i don't know how long it lasts inline.
babyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2003, 03:25 PM   #12
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Mine runs very cool since I changed the block, this one much less restrictive.

Here's the P/Q graph from the pump box.

I agree that there are many better pumps for a little bit more money, but here where I live, I got two MJ1000 and a drink for me and wife for the price of one 1048.

All satisfied...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pump-o.jpg (56.5 KB, 135 views)
Unread 05-01-2003, 03:32 PM   #13
Pheonix
Cooling Neophyte

thats cool...now could someone tell me what it means?

also what do you mean by a smaller block mate.

Much appreciated!

Pheo
Unread 05-01-2003, 04:05 PM   #14
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Quote:
also what do you mean by a smaller block mate.
No, not smaller block, the first one I made was simple Z block with 6 mm dia channel and barbs, and it put a lot of backpressure on the pump, so it run hotter.
Now, with #Rotor style block, the pump runs much cooler, and quiet, vevy vevy quiet.

The graph tells you how much water the pump can lift on particular height, in this case 0 liter to 1.5 m (zero flow) and (supposed) 1000 liter if not 'lifting' the water. This numbers are for just a pump, NO RESTRICTIONS added (like rad, block, long tubing etc.)

I tried to measure ( bucket and stopwatch method) the flow this pump can do only through rad (opel cadett hcore, dual pass), and on say 25 cm height, the pump got 600 l / hour, just with hcore added.

Not talking about strong pump, but in money/performance/noise ratio, think it's a good call.

Cheers!
Unread 05-01-2003, 04:09 PM   #15
Pheonix
Cooling Neophyte

Well, I want quiet, effective cooling, thats better than a thermaltake aquarius II (hangs head in shame )

Edit: Also got one of those graphs for an Ehiem 1046
Unread 05-01-2003, 08:02 PM   #16
sunblade

The MJ1200 can get pretty hot, but if you can sacrafice the flowrates, the MJ900 (230GPH) doesn't get very hot at all. And if you want some basic specs, go here:

http://www.aquariumsystems.com/pumps.htm
sunblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2003, 09:56 PM   #17
Crosstrack16
Cooling Savant

how does the magdrive compare to the maxi-jet?
Crosstrack16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2003, 12:06 AM   #18
orangezero
Cooling Neophyte

i have one now and i think it gets a little too hot for my liking. enough so that it will get very hot if i have my computer off and am just filling the system. it you will be using a reservoir then the water would get even hotter. it really makes my tubes get soft, which happens whenever the water gets warm..

just seems like its defeating the purpose of having a watercooling system if you are heating up the water with a pump. plus, mine is getting fairly loud now. need to fix it with some glue i guess to get the propeller on better.

later,
Unread 05-08-2003, 11:32 PM   #19
brucoman
Cooling Savant

my opinion....

I still have a Maxi-Jet 1200, but it went into a drawer when my Little Giant showed up
Maxi-Jet likes to be submerged, near silent, decent flow in a low restrictive loop (was getting 3.9 l/hr in a long loop with a restrictice wb)
Danner is good as well, but their bigger pumps are the ones to get if you can afford them
brucoman is offline   Reply With Quote