Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 08-05-2003, 10:02 PM   #1
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Default Dual Blower

Hello,

I am interested in getting a hold of one of these dual blowers I see so much these days. The only one I have seen with dimensions was 13X6X6". I need one about 8-10X4-6X4-6".

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

BTW: looking for a 12v motor in the dual blower.

Thanks,

BrianW

Flow: Res, Pump, CPU watervlock, Y into both rads, both rads into res independently.

Athlon XP 1800+ (@ 1731 - 150mhz fsb.), on a Asus A7N266-c, and a Radeon 9000 *waiting for RMA'd Saphire 9800 ultra from Newegg)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2003, 12:57 AM   #2
Cathar
Thermophile

Go to a car radiator repair workshop. Ask to look in their catalog of blowers for cars. Find the blower of the size that you want, then go to a wreckers and pull it out of a car. Alternately you could probably get them to order it new for you, but it won't be cheap.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2003, 01:23 AM   #3
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Thanks Cathar.

Flow: Res, Pump, CPU watervlock, Y into both rads, both rads into res independently.

Athlon XP 1800+ (@ 1731 - 150mhz fsb.), on a Asus A7N266-c, and a Radeon 9000 *waiting for RMA'd Saphire 9800 ultra from Newegg)
Unread 08-06-2003, 03:54 PM   #4
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Well I called around, and no parts store has a catalogue that lists the size of the blower... Any other suggestions?

BrianW

Unread 08-06-2003, 05:49 PM   #5
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Next place I'd try would be a auto junkyard. See what they've pulled out.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2003, 08:22 PM   #6
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Well I googled a bit today, and found a source for dual cage blowers, only problem is that they are AC.

http://www.kooltronic.com/b-blower/kbb30-30/b3030.htm

Do you see any pitfalls qith going with AC? Won't it freak out my monitor? I have seen house fans mess up monitors when they are too close? Would I still be able to vary the speed of an AC motor?

Still googl'n

Thanks,

BrianW

Unread 08-06-2003, 08:40 PM   #7
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

If there is a grounded metal shield (ie your case) between the induction motor and your monitor then there will be little or no EMI interferrance
Unread 08-06-2003, 08:45 PM   #8
BrianW
Cooling Savant

And if I want to throttle the RPM's, does it have to be a multi-phased motor?

Thanks,

BrianW

Unread 08-06-2003, 09:09 PM   #9
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Found this interesting piece of equipment. Perfect if you want an external heat exchanger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2426165222

BrianW

Unread 08-06-2003, 09:20 PM   #10
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

Neat find on the Aux. heat unit...The motor will probably be a series-wound "universal" motor or, more likely, an induction motor. Both will respond -to some extent- to clipped waveforms and PWM control. Be advised that there will be little torque at lower RPMs, unlike a DC motor, so the rpms and fan output will drop quickly as you clip the waveform. Watch the temps if you try to run it for extended periods at low RPMs b/c it may not cool itself.

Can you put a DC motor on it?
Unread 08-06-2003, 09:21 PM   #11
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

Multi-phased would be a real plus!
Unread 08-06-2003, 09:25 PM   #12
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

That ebay find reminds me of a possible great source for blowers / radiators. A lot of fork lifts, lift trucks, etc. have cab heaters similar to what you linked to. Most are 12V and appropriately sized and packaged for "Common" w/c systems. Might be worth a try. There are many fork lift salvage places / repair shops / junk yards!

Last edited by CoolROD; 08-07-2003 at 11:15 AM.
CoolROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2003, 09:45 PM   #13
BrianW
Cooling Savant

They do offer other products with DC motors, so I emailed them and asked if they could supply me with a dual blower in a similiar size rated for 12vdc, and with a low medium high wire input.

BTW: Can you power that aux unit with 12v?

BrianW

Unread 08-06-2003, 09:59 PM   #14
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

Heck Yeah! And if you have a 12 V supply that is a little high -even better! Don't be afraid to series a couple of power supplies, either! Put in a 3-terminal regulator and you have a completely variable power supply. The LM338T I mentioned above will do 1.2-32 VDC @ 5 Amp, max. The max VDC output from the device will be about a volt lower than what you put in...let me know what you get / how this goes.
Unread 08-06-2003, 10:45 PM   #15
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Is this what you are talking about?

http://electronickits.com/kit/complete/powe/ck402.htm

Would it be possible to power this with mains? What would be my theoretical max dc output?

Thanks,

BrianW

Unread 08-06-2003, 11:20 PM   #16
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

Sure, you could use that -It is a pretty neat (and Cheap) way to connect the voltage regulator, capacitors, potentiometer, resister, and mabye a diode. That is actually a little overkill, but neat and the other parts are included. If you put 12V in you will get an efficient and clean variable output of 1.5-10 volts. To get the full 12 Volts you could bypass this device with a switch (and that would also be more efficient if you need to run at this voltage). If you can come up with 24 Volts input you will get an efficient and clean variable output of 1.5-22 volts., etc.

You do not have to have all of those components -they are more for an electrically clean output signal, but you are just running a motor. We also do not neet the additional bridge rectifier they have included to allow you to input AC voltage. That is the reason for the additional voltage drop that we cannot use for output. Usually about 0.7 Volts loss across each silicon diode.

You would need a potentiometer, usually about 5K ohm, and a free-wheeling diode can be a good idea... Your link shows a circuit -but I can post a simpler circuit tomorrow. Still -this is pretty cheap and neat for what you get. And it comes with a $1 heat sink! If I had to buy all of those components new, I would pay that much or more -and you get the PCB board.
Unread 08-06-2003, 11:26 PM   #17
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

NO -you cannot power this with mains. You could if you used a small transformer though -and that would solve a lot of problems. You probably have an old alarm clock or something...We will spec one tomorrow...going to bed

Check the power requirements of your motor to make sure we are within range with the 5 Amps -I would hope so...
Unread 08-06-2003, 11:54 PM   #18
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Hehe, we do not even know what motor we are using yet. If that company does not have that blower in 12VDC, I will have to search some junkyards to find out which one will fit.

BrianW

Unread 08-07-2003, 08:58 PM   #19
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

I was sketching up something here to post WRT the 3-terminal regulator. All you need is a 5k pot., a 220 Ohm Resistor, one or more caps, and I might use a couple diodes to protect this thing from back emf from the motors I will be controlling. It would be really simpler (and probably nicer) to buy the board you are looking at. Just let me know about the motor or if you are interested later...
Unread 08-10-2003, 01:10 PM   #20
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

In order to slow an AC fan correctly without buzz and other issues is to use a Variac. Good luck finding a decent one under $50.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote