Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 12-21-2005, 02:45 AM   #1
Flex65
Cooling Neophyte

Default New to this forum

Hello everyone,

Joint this forum with the intention to learn from all the good bros out there. I have one project that I would like to do but not sure if it can work.

Okay, here goes...
I want to use a TEC to condensate moisture from the air (very moist enviroment and has nothing to do with computer) and then re heat the air back to its original temperature.

That means I will channel the air to the cold side of the TEC and then the same air (dryer and cooler I presume) I will channel to the hot side of the TEC so that I get back the energy that it loses during the condensation.

Can such thing works?

Hope to have lots of comments and feedback.

Thank you in advance.
Flex65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 02:53 AM   #2
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Default Re: New to this forum

It will certainly dehumidify the air. I think it will take an enourmous amount of electricity to do it that way though. Oh, and several large TECs. Dehumidifying air is really quite power hungry. Any reason other than silence to use TECs rather than HVAC?
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 07:18 AM   #3
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

jeez, a vasectomy through the nose ?
HVAC if any quantity is involved,
a mimi dryer to purge the moist air ?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Or you could just take a dehumidifier and modify it to do this for your PC. They are much more efficient on their use of power than TEC's.

If powers not an issue you could do it quite easily though. Having the cold side of the pelts dehumidify the air... then have the cooling loop from the hot side run through a radiator that the cooled air goes through and heats back up. Essentially you are building a disconnected thermal "short" in a weird kinda way. Just pumping lots of power, into something and getting almost nothing out of it.

Also making an effective cooling surface that collects and drains water as desired is also something to work on.

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 09:28 PM   #5
Flex65
Cooling Neophyte

Thank you for all the feedback, I think I need to explain further actually what I wanted to do .

A little background about myself. I am working in a manufacturing company that requires drying process. The drying process is actually quite simple, fresh air are taken in and heated up before passing through our products. The hot moist air is then partially thrown out to the atmosphere while some recycle back to the drying chamber. This is to ensure that the overall temperature do not drop drastically.

When I came across the articles on TEC, where some mention that the temperature different can be up to 40 degrees Celsius. I was thinking why don’t I try to do the drying in a closed system. All I have to do is channel the thrown out (hot and moist air) to the cold side of TEC where water will condensate leaving dry cold air. I will then channel this dry cold air to the hot side of the TEC which will then heat back the air to its original temperature. The heated air will then be channel back into the drying chamber. Imagine if I am successful in this I will save a lot of fuel which is required to heat the fresh intake air of the drying chamber. The collected water will be recycle back to production which will then reduce the water bill.

Well, it looks simple enough in theory but then why so many other smart guy out there have not thought of it. There must be some catch. I mean some reason why it cannot be done that I do not know of.

Here come the actual reason why I join this forum, I want to learn all I can on TEC but too lazy to go back to the basic of reading. So I will try to ask questions and hope that someone will be able to give me some answers. This way I can learn faster. Hope all of you don’t mind
Flex65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2005, 12:07 AM   #6
Brians256
Pro/Staff

The main reason is that TECs are dreadfully innefficient devices! I think Bill was being a bit ... graphic in his language. However, you could be spending a huge amount of money on the power bill, and I'm not talking tens of dollars.

I believe that HVAC would be 10 to 100 times less power hungry, and you wouldn't have to do any engineering to get a working reliable product. TECs fail if used improperly (and the failure modes can cascade if not designed properly), and their power supplies are expensive as are the TECs themselves.

If you want to go exotic just because of being exotic, go google Stirling Engines for moving heat.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote