Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 12-29-2002, 11:44 AM   #26
Nick C
Cooling Neophyte

yep, good ol' series 1 bridgeport, 1 Hp motor, powerfeed. grandpa used it in his shop where he made these: http://www.hardwarereviewed.com/vdhtt

thanx guys! I think I'll get to adding LED's to the middle sometime soon... heheh
Nick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2002, 04:49 PM   #27
pippin88
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by chewyboy
correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm still reading about cathars project. his project is based on massive water flow. if you had a situtation that the flow was not as high you would be better off with a different design correct?

Nope, Cathar tested his block with various flow rates and it performed pretty close with a wide range of flow rates.

What Cathars block relies on is high water velocity (Jet impingement), which is provided by his middle plate using a slot.
pippin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2002, 12:52 PM   #28
crane
Cooling Neophyte

Awesome machines there NickC.... they still in production?
Love that big iron....heavy equipment pays my bills.
Unread 12-31-2002, 07:32 PM   #29
Nick C
Cooling Neophyte

well, no... He went out of business a few months before I was born, in '87

the construction movement of the 80's ended, and these were fairly niche machines, so the demand went nowhere.

not to mention he built them so well, they never needed to be replaced.

all 42 of them (they were built in pairs) are owned by three companies or are over in the ME
Nick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2003, 01:41 AM   #30
Lt.Dan
Cooling Neophyte

I too have been working on Cathar's design. I decided to slit it using a 1.75 " x .040" slitting saw. Homemade arbor. I'm really happy how it is turning out.

Lt.Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2003, 02:08 AM   #31
pippin88
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Lt.Dan
I too have been working on Cathar's design. I decided to slit it using a 1.75 " x .040" slitting saw. Homemade arbor. I'm really happy how it is turning out.

Now this is interesting.

Is that just on a mill? How long is it taking you? What sort of depths? What sort of spindle speeds? How common are slitting saws? (I really want to have a go at this)

I had though about this but could never really see how to implement it properly, but then I was thinking of a different orrientation.

Can you give us details of your arbour. I presume it was made on a lathe?

Im going to post this over at OCAU if you dont mind.

Last edited by pippin88; 01-12-2003 at 02:15 AM.
pippin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2003, 02:38 AM   #32
Lt.Dan
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Is that just on a mill? How long is it taking you? What sort of depths? What sort of spindle speeds? How common are slitting saws? (I really want to have a go at this)
This is being done on a small 6 x 26" small Jet Knee Action Mill. At this point it is half slit and it took my about an hour. That is not including set-up. I cut .005 deep at a pass. Using as I said before a 1.75 x .040 slitting saw. I bought them from Travers Tool Company. I can't tell you the tooth count as I can't move it till I finish.

As far as the arbor I copied it from one in a tool book.Yes I made it on my lathe. I happen to have a small machine shop in my garage. Slitting saws come in standard hole sizes and this arbor is stepped for I think 3/8-1/2-5/8 holes with a corresponding cap for each size. It's threaded 5/16-24 for hold down. Cutting the very end slot is the trickiest part as you must be very careful not to cut into the radius of the plenums(end chambers).

Milling the Oring groove is going to be toughest thing.

Other than building guns, bicycles, tools, and road racing motorcyles this is the first attempt at water cooling a PC. Cathar's design really impressed me.

:D :D :D :D ;)
Unread 01-12-2003, 10:53 AM   #33
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
I cut .005 deep at a pass.
Dang! Did you consider a sawblade?
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2003, 08:20 PM   #34
Lt.Dan
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
Dang! Did you consider a sawblade?
Copper can be tough to work with because it has the ability to "work harden". It is fairly soft material and a slitting saw has a tendancy to bite into the material. Hence the light cuts. Being that the fins are in the 30MM length range each movement of the table can be a cut.
Unread 01-13-2003, 07:10 AM   #35
ChrioN
Cooling Savant

WOW! Amazing thing that is!
Where did you buy that? What does it call?
ChrioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 09:05 AM   #36
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Copper can be tough to work with because it has the ability to "work harden". It is fairly soft material and a slitting saw has a tendancy to bite into the material. Hence the light cuts. Being that the fins are in the 30MM length range each movement of the table can be a cut.
I meant a circular saw blade, which actually looks exactly like the one you used... I thought you used one of those fiberglass reinforced wheels. my bad!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote