Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 12-28-2004, 08:18 AM   #1
keiang
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: blabla
Posts: 10
Default digital temperature/fan-control wirch LCD for PC, selfmade

It is done, a final version of a guidance how to built up this fan/temperatue-control is available now
for the Download.
Here you can find some pictures and a detailed desription





the main characteristics in the overview:

- Micro-controller digitally regulated fan/temperature-control, regulation works 100% independently of the operating system (e.g. Windows...)
- with up to 8 sensors the temperatures of the PC's are monitored and the speed of the fans are adapted automatically
- very exact temperature sensors with a accuracy of 0,1°C (DS1820)
- several safety functions protect against the overheating of the computer hardware
- low-loss control of the fans by pulse-width-modulation (PWM), saves energy and produces no additional heat
- the fans can be regulated within a range of 40% to 100%
- The fan's speed is also shown in PWM mode, over the whole work area
- USB-interface
- suitable also for watercooling
- display of all values on LCD 1*20/2*20/4*20 (temperatures, fan's "rpm", alarm status...)
- simple operation over only 2 keys
- very flexible configuration possible (alarm temperatures, sensor-fan config, hysteresis...)
- storage of all settings in eeprom

Last edited by keiang; 08-27-2008 at 12:36 PM.
keiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2004, 01:59 PM   #2
Brians256
Pro/Staff
 
Brians256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Klamath Falls, OR
Posts: 1,439
Default

Nice! I will be reading this in more detail.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2004, 02:01 PM   #3
Brians256
Pro/Staff
 
Brians256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Klamath Falls, OR
Posts: 1,439
Default

OK, my german is rusty, and I don't trust Babelfish all THAT much. Would you translate it into English for us ignorant Americans? I'm flipping back and forth to my German dictionary too much and the technical terms aren't even there.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2004, 05:17 PM   #4
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up
 
jaydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 6,504
Default

Most modern motherboards have built in PWM that can be controlled by SpeedFan or other software that controls the fans speed with the built in probes. I don't see a huge advantage with this unit to the built in one on most new mobo's? Want to elaborate on it's uses in this thread in English?
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2004, 06:46 PM   #5
DrMemory
Cooling Savant
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 101
Default

On most modern MB's you're lucky if it monitors more than two or three fans. On most modern systems you're lucky if you only have two or three fans.
DrMemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2004, 07:08 PM   #6
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up
 
jaydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 6,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMemory
On most modern MB's you're lucky if it monitors more than two or three fans. On most modern systems you're lucky if you only have two or three fans.
If you have more than 2 or 3 fans your doing something unessary no matter what modern CPU you have.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2004, 08:31 PM   #7
Etacovda
Cooling Savant
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dunedin NZ
Posts: 735
Default

erm, my heatercore has 2 fans, and my powersupply requires 1 header - theres 3 fans.

I dont think you'd call that unnecessary.
__________________
Hypocritical Signature I tried to delete: Procooling: where scientific principles are ignored because big corporations are immune to mistakes and oversights.
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2004, 09:03 PM   #8
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up
 
jaydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 6,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etacovda
erm, my heatercore has 2 fans, and my powersupply requires 1 header - theres 3 fans.

I dont think you'd call that unnecessary.
Yes I would. Water cooling is not necessary. Get my drift?
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 12:02 AM   #9
Etacovda
Cooling Savant
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dunedin NZ
Posts: 735
Default

If 'necessary' deemed what people created, damn the world would be a boring place.
__________________
Hypocritical Signature I tried to delete: Procooling: where scientific principles are ignored because big corporations are immune to mistakes and oversights.
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 12:34 AM   #10
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up
 
jaydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 6,504
Default

I guess my point was not well said. It was directed at DrMemory's comments ONLY. He suggested a modern computer REQUIRES more than 3 fans. That's what I got from his comments. That is just not true. Only if your doing unnecessary stuff to the computer (overclocking) do you need more than a couple fans. I think Dell, HP, Compaq, NEC, and a dozen other manufactures proves that with the current PC's.

Also I still have no answer to the question I gave to the ORIGINAL POSTER about why it is better than the stock mobo controller and what uses it has. I can think of a million things but I want to hear it from the dude that made it being he posted it here. Would be nice if this was more than just a spamming thread for his work. English is good to being this is a USA based website.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 08:55 AM   #11
keiang
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: blabla
Posts: 10
Default

Here you can find a first translation of the description. But it is partly translated automaticly because my english is not so good. Projekt "Fan/Temperature-controll with USB-interface.

If you find some mistakes (and i think you will ) please write it to me.

Maybe someone also can help can help me in translation, please.

greets KeiAng
keiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 06:56 PM   #12
DrMemory
Cooling Savant
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 101
Default

Modern CPUs hit 100 W or more when they are actually doing something. Modern Graphics card GPUs are close to doing the same. Modern power supplies needed to to allow all these power suckers to work put out 100 W of heat (assuming a 450 W output power supply that is 80% efficent). Several power supplies with over 400 W output have two fans! A single hard disk drive will generate another 25 W. That's 300 W (conservative) of heat generated inside a modern non-overclocked computer. Even previous generation modern computers can have more that 200 W of internally generated heat. A Susy homemaker Oven used a 60 W light bulb to bake cakes! Just try to hold on to a 60 W incandescent light bulb (about 54 W of heat).

I never implied anything. Any assumptions you make about my "implications" are based on your own imagination. I've seen the alternatives. Even though they are much more expensive I'd be surprised if they don't become much more popular. I just mentioned how things are done now in modern computers. Most of which have more than two or three fans (CPU, GPU, chipset, power supply, and "optionally" one more to pull air through the case).
DrMemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 07:15 PM   #13
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up
 
jaydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 6,504
Default

Power supply and chipset fans I never include in fan count. I see many comps with only one rear 80mm and CPU fan (other than the obvious PS and chipset fans). Anyway whatever.

Speaks for itself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMemory
On most modern MB's you're lucky if it monitors more than two or three fans. On most modern systems you're lucky if you only have two or three fans.
Simply wrong unless your including PS and chipset fans.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 07:17 PM   #14
keiang
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: blabla
Posts: 10
Default

@jaydee116:
It is a little bit difficult for me to point out the main advantage in another language.
But i will try it. May be there are realy some mobos where you can controll the speed of the fans but in most of them it is not possible. The fan-controll i have built checks the temperature in up to 8 points and automaticly adjust the speed of the fans. This reduce the noice from the fans to a minimum! But there are much more advantages than only this, feel free to read my description. (see link above)
The fan-controll works 100% indipendent from the operating-system (e.g. Windows). In the chase that the system crashes (Windows blue srceen etc.) the fan-controll will still work and doing his job.
keiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 07:18 PM   #15
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up
 
jaydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 6,504
Default

Ok, whatever keiang. Good luck with it.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 10:32 PM   #16
superart
Cooling Savant
 
superart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 787
Default

Well, i can think of a few reasons why its good.

OS independant. You have one less program running bogging down your computer.

For the anal retentive. You can put probes in 8 different places, thus getting a better picture of the overall temp throught the entire case. This would be good, for example, if someone was using their computer as an incubation chamber, and needed a constant 86F throught the case, hypotheticly speaking.
__________________
When you do things right,
people won't be sure youv'e done anything at all.

Looking to buy/trade for used Deep Fryer and Vacume Pack Sealer.
superart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 11:41 PM   #17
DrMemory
Cooling Savant
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 101
Default

Of course you don't count them. When is a fan not a fan? When Jaydee wants them not to be. How silly could you be? A fan is a fan. Because they are electro-mechanical devices they fail. When they fail, sometimes the things they are cooling get hot and die. Sometimes when things get hot and die they take other things with them. The power supply could take out motherboard or anything connected to it. The chip set could take out the CPU, memory, or PCI bus cards. They could just get their lifespan significantly shortened. Or if you're lucky they could just shut down (assuming of course that they are thermally monitored!). That's why there are fans there in the first place (is this a new concept to you?). That is why most fans in modern computers today, even the ones in power supplies and on chip sets, have tach outputs to monitor. Unless of course you're Jaydee. Then they don't count.
DrMemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 11:56 PM   #18
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up
 
jaydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 6,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMemory
Of course you don't count them. When is a fan not a fan? When Jaydee wants them not to be. How silly could you be? A fan is a fan. Because they are electro-mechanical devices they fail. When they fail, sometimes the things they are cooling get hot and die. Sometimes when things get hot and die they take other things with them. The power supply could take out motherboard or anything connected to it. The chip set could take out the CPU, memory, or PCI bus cards. They could just get their lifespan significantly shortened. Or if you're lucky they could just shut down (assuming of course that they are thermally monitored!). That's why there are fans there in the first place (is this a new concept to you?). That is why most fans in modern computers today, even the ones in power supplies and on chip sets, have tach outputs to monitor. Unless of course you're Jaydee. Then they don't count.
Jeeze. I don't count them because they are not controllable by us. They are built in when you get the part. The power supply NEEDS the fans it comes with. The computer does NOT need the PS fans. Therefore they are not counted. The Chipset has a fan attached by the manufacture so I don't count it. The GPU has a fan built on by the manufacture so I don't count it. What I do count is EVERY FAN THAT IS NOT ATTACHED TO A PART BY THE MANUFACTURE. You know, the fans YOU buy for the computer that are not necessarily needed.

Anyway take your shit and shove up someones else's ass. How many system builders hook up a fan controller to the PS fan(s), chipset fan, and gpu fan(s)??? Not many.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2004, 12:40 PM   #19
superart
Cooling Savant
 
superart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 787
Default

yea, but since when has this forum been about basic systems with basic cooling?

How many system builders hook up water to their PS fan(s), chipset fan, and gpu fan(s)??? Not many.
__________________
When you do things right,
people won't be sure youv'e done anything at all.

Looking to buy/trade for used Deep Fryer and Vacume Pack Sealer.
superart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2004, 02:47 PM   #20
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up
 
jaydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 6,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superart
yea, but since when has this forum been about basic systems with basic cooling?

How many system builders hook up water to their PS fan(s), chipset fan, and gpu fan(s)??? Not many.
Sigh, if you can't keep up with the thread then stay out of the conversation.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2004, 04:49 PM   #21
007
Cooling Neophyte
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 31
Default

jaydee116: aren't we a bit grumpy today?
last i checked, this forum wasn't about basic computers with only the nessecary parts... ;-)
__________________
AMD XP1700@2400MHz (1.925Vcore (11x200),
1.5GB DDR3200, Epox 8RDA3+, Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB, Seagate 7200.2 120GB, Seagate 7200.2 160GB, WW ClearTop (CPU) Twinplex GF4 (GPU) w/ 2x120mm on heatercore from Accord '92 and Eheim 1048.
To be further upgraded! (RAID 5, HD/PSU/NB cooling etc.)
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2004, 05:34 PM   #22
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up
 
jaydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 6,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
jaydee116: aren't we a bit grumpy today?
last i checked, this forum wasn't about basic computers with only the nessecary parts... ;-)
****, me and Dr were in a discussion about basic computers (with other KEEP INTERRUPTING). Had nothing to do with what the forums are about or the topic of this thread really. I will not post another word in here about it ok? Sheesh. I quit.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2004, 06:09 PM   #23
DrMemory
Cooling Savant
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee116
Jeeze. I don't count them because they are not controllable by us. They are built in when you get the part. The power supply NEEDS the fans it comes with. The computer does NOT need the PS fans. Therefore they are not counted. The Chipset has a fan attached by the manufacture so I don't count it. The GPU has a fan built on by the manufacture so I don't count it. What I do count is EVERY FAN THAT IS NOT ATTACHED TO A PART BY THE MANUFACTURE. You know, the fans YOU buy for the computer that are not necessarily needed.

Anyway take your shit and shove up someones else's ass. How many system builders hook up a fan controller to the PS fan(s), chipset fan, and gpu fan(s)??? Not many.

The only one spouting shit here is you bozo. You can't count. You can't even come up with a half-assed reason as to why you can't count. You assume I say things that I don't say. Speaking of which...

I never said anything about hooking fans up to a fan controller. My comments where strictly about monitoring them and the lack of motherboard inputs to do this for all the fans present in modern computers. Hello, is there anybody in there?
DrMemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2004, 06:30 PM   #24
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up
 
jaydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 6,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMemory
The only one spouting shit here is you bozo. You can't count. You can't even come up with a half-assed reason as to why you can't count. You assume I say things that I don't say. Speaking of which...
I can count just fine. I count was is needed to be counted. Also calling someone a bozo is indeed spouting, hypocrite.
Quote:
I never said anything about hooking fans up to a fan controller. My comments where strictly about monitoring them and the lack of motherboard inputs to do this for all the fans present in modern computers. Hello, is there anybody in there?
And none of what you said makes anything resembling sense. Most modern mobo's have at least 3 headers and some 4-5. My Abit KD7 has 4, my Epox 8K7A have 3, my ASUS A7V333 has 3, my Asus A7V8X-X has 3, my Abit KT7A has 3. Most decent power supplies already have self thermally controlled fans THAT ARE POWER BY THE PS ITSELF, not a mobo header. Chipset fans have their own header as do GPU fans. So I don't see what your point is about mobo headers. If you need to have more than 2-3 case fans your doing something wrong. Most prebuilt comps have 1-2 case fans as that is all that is needed for adequate cooling.

Anyway you win, I give up. Obviously we are on 2 different pages. :shrug:
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2004, 06:53 PM   #25
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money
 
pHaestus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: irc.lostgeek.com #procooling.com
Posts: 4,782
Default

I like hardware temp and fan monitoring because it frees me to install whatever motherboard I want to use in that system. I have exactly ONE motherboard which works properly with Speedfan, and only the CPU fan header works. Most mobo mfgrs just didn't get all the winbond functions and connections right because it would have cost a few more $$. And it's a continuous headache for the software makers like Speedfan to add support for your new mobo. Hell that's why the MBM writer gave up, isn't it?
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C) 2005 ProCooling.com
If we in some way offend you, insult you or your people, screw your mom, beat up your dad, or poop on your porch... we're sorry... we were probably really drunk...
Oh and dont steal our content bitches! Don't give us a reason to pee in your open car window this summer...