Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 10-11-2002, 12:52 PM   #1
Drummahjake
Cooling Neophyte

Default Heater core ducting ideas, comments please

Ok, I was trying to think of the best way to install a heater core while A) Not using already warm case air, and B) not pushing warm air into the case, so I came up with this idea. Both of my ideas show the heater core on the bottom of the case with a hole in the bottom to draw in cool air, a shroud, 2 and two 120mm fans.
The first picture has two 90 degree PVC elbows employed to duct the warm air from the heater core immeadiatly out of the case. I am a little warry about this because I also want to install a window and I only have a Mid-tower from In-Win. A variation on the first would be to run both fans into one 4" outlet, would that be ok?

The second picture shows a duct after the fans to guide the air into a 'chimney' and out the top of the case. This will clean up the side of the case a lot but also be more difficult to duct the 120s into a 3-4" PVC or metal duct. I thought that since warm air rises this might be more effective? Also it would be possible for another fan on the top of the blowhole to suck the warm air out of the tube. I do not think that would be necessary since there is already two 120s blowing out and up. Thoughts?

I was also wondering if two 120s would be needed on the heater core I am going to use, an 89 nissan sentra, the 'fin' area is 8 1/4"L X 5 1/2" H just slightly shorter than two 120mm fans. Good idea for two, or is one enough?
I posted this in the [H] and didn't get any good responses, maybe the PROs can help me out.
Drummahjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 01:01 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

That second idea doesn't seem practical, just because of the sheer volume of the chimney. A second fan probably wouldn't hurt, but the benefit may not be noticeable.

As for your original idea, it's good. You're right to be concerned about the size of it all though.

You might consider making yourself a square/rectangular duct, and exiting the side. It would make better use of the space in your case.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 01:07 PM   #3
Drummahjake
Cooling Neophyte

I did get one good suggestion from the [H], to center the heater core and have one elbow out each side so I can still install my window without cutting it up by haveing the one closest to the front out the window side and the second out the other side.
Do you think it would show a noticable benefit to have two 120s @ 80 CFM each or 1 120 @ 100CFM?
Unread 10-11-2002, 01:44 PM   #4
Drummahjake
Cooling Neophyte

Come on guys, give me some comments please! I figured the people at ProCooling would be able to help me out more than the people at the [H].
Unread 10-11-2002, 01:48 PM   #5
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

The problem with fans is this: You want the highest airflow possible, without the noise. Fans in series (push-pull) setup will give you excellent flow. It would be far better to use two fans.

It's kind of funny... I see lots of people use one or two fans, when this is not what I would do.

My setup would be multiple small fans, on both sides, or a squirrel cage fan. The small fans have the advantage of being quieter, and cheaper too! The squirrel cage fan, if you find a good one, will give far better flow, with the lowest noise level.

Since I'm still building my system, I don't have any concrete/usefull info for you.

That's why I'm "The Theoretical Cooler"!
Unread 10-11-2002, 02:04 PM   #6
Drummahjake
Cooling Neophyte

So you are saying that instead of having to pulling fans to have a pull and a push fan? I thought that was proven to be inefficient? I could be wrong though.
Unread 10-11-2002, 02:16 PM   #7
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Drummahjake
So you are saying that instead of having to pulling fans to have a pull and a push fan? I thought that was proven to be inefficient? I could be wrong though.
It's not energy efficient, but it will get you the air flow that you need. It does work.

If you look around here, or even the OC article called "Radiator Roundup", by Bill Adams, you'll find that there is a large benefit by having a pressure drop equivalent to 1/4 inch of water. Unfortunately, axial fans don't flow any air at that kind of pressure drop, so what you end up with, is a fan that will push as much air as it can. Your pressure drop will probably be in the order of 1/20 inch water, if even that.

The problem with axial fans is the gap between the impeller, and the housing. To put it more bluntly, you couldn't inflate a ballon with a regular fan.

Having fans in a push-pull configuration helps to alleviate this problem. The flow won't double, and you still won't have 1/4 inch H2O pressure drop, but you will have a better airflow. I'd guesstimate the flow increase to be 20%. You may or may not see your CPU temps drop as a result, so it's up to you.
Unread 10-12-2002, 03:25 AM   #8
Drummahjake
Cooling Neophyte

bump
Unread 10-12-2002, 03:57 AM   #9
MadDogMe
Thermophile

You'd have to stretch the meaning, or have a huge multiple heatload to call the air that comes out a rad WARM , it's quite cold from my rad. you'd be better off utilising that airflow for the case(mosfets and capacitors,HD's,CD~ROM's,ect) and adding a 120mm blowhole up top to keep it shifting...

If you put a duct(please do!) you can make 2 120mm's fit nicely, but have the fans apart from the rad, not bolted straight onto it, have the duct between rad and fan. I'd rather have a cuple of 120's@7Volt than multiple 80's or 92's(which I have now )...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2002, 05:25 PM   #10
Drummahjake
Cooling Neophyte

Yeah, I think i will scrap the idea of ducting the air out. If I buy two of those new 120mm chrome fans I think it'll run nicely, maybe see what happens if I run them at 7v instead. Thanks for the help guys.
Unread 10-12-2002, 05:47 PM   #11
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

talking about fans, if u can , keep an eye on amperage. i took some old fans from a junkyard server. 2 panaflo's; 120 mm, weigh about 0.5 kg each; amperage: 0.6A !!!; my enermax 120's are rated 0.3A. those panaflo's are like jets taking off at 12V, at 7V they generate about the same noise as my enermax's; and at 5V those bad boys don't even want to spin up.
g.l.amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2002, 07:01 PM   #12
DarkEdge
Cooling Savant

I've actually been thinking of ducting my 120mm fan off my rad. It moves around 135cfm. When my cpu is at idle the fan blows cold air. My ambient room is 18c-20c. When my cpu is at full load however it starts getting warm. I have a P4 2.26@2.9. Full load is at 45c.

I honestly wouldn't be able to tell what my system temp is before and after without buying a external thermal probe. My shitty BD7II can't read system temps from its probe. It reports 60c...grrr
DarkEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2002, 11:34 PM   #13
Can O' Beans
Cooling Savant

This is how I am going to do mine. All 120mm fans The Rad & shroud are obsolete and I've made better

Can O' Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2002, 05:41 AM   #14
MadDogMe
Thermophile

That's very...,GREEN!! .would'nt it be better to have the outlet 120mm fan higher though?, in the case top as a blowhole?...
Unread 10-13-2002, 05:52 PM   #15
Tacops
Cooling Neophyte

I would consider putting the rad at the top in the middle of the cd-rom's cage and psu

Then makes a shroud with a push pull config with 2 40mm panaflo or papst fans for xtreme silence and good airflow

i am adding a shroud to my heatercore with this kind of setup in the next few days
Unread 10-13-2002, 11:11 PM   #16
Can O' Beans
Cooling Savant

Well, in my case, the lower front is the only space my heatercore will fit. Plus, with the exhaust right there, I get good airflo around the motherboard power circuit.

And I can't really put a blowhole in as the top of the case slides off, then you pull the panels UP to remove.
Can O' Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2002, 04:31 AM   #17
MadDogMe
Thermophile

You could mount the fan on a plate fitted to the frame at the top, and just have o hole in the cover that slides into place. It's just that you will get warm air forming up there, it'll come from the CD~ROMs for sure...

That must have been a mother to spray the inside of the case!...