Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 02-17-2002, 12:16 PM   #1
Jim
Cooling Savant

Default Need info, 12v - 7v switch

Last summer when I was in the process of building my computer, I picked up a fan control switch from Nerdsbyte. It is a high-off-low toggle affair. (12v and 7v)

I never used it. I recall reading that the method in which the 7 volts are derived here is down and dirty. Something about using two negatives to get the 12 volt rail down to 7v using the 12v negative and 5v negative lines, I think.

To be clear, I have not trashed anything and have no argument with Nerdsbyte.

What I need here is a slight refresher on the subject, since I don't want to throw an imbalance into the power supply and cause a problem with voltages and my rig.

We got 12, 3.3, and 5 volts coming out of the power supply, so I am certain the 7 volts is begin pulled in a abnormal way.

I am sure I have 12v and 7 v out the device after checking with a VOM.

Anyway, let me know what you think, I may be better to off get a potentiometer, if I knew what to get and where. I will be using this to adjust speeds on two Panaflo 120 mm 12M's.

I also noticed after visiting Nerdsbyte's site, that this switch is no longer available.

Thanks much,
Jim
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2002, 12:36 PM   #2
Leuf
Cooling Neophyte

You get 7 volts by connecting the return of the fan (black) to the 5v supply (red). Voltage is the potential difference between the two, so instead of +12 minus 0 (ground) it's +12 minus +5 = 7 volts. Give Brians fan control article a read:

http://www.procooling.com/articles/h...trol_met.shtml

I used to run my panaflo 120 mm at 7 volts, and now i use a rheostat - but I end up running it at about what the 7 volts gave me anyway - it just gives me the chance to crank it up when needed.
Leuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2002, 05:05 PM   #3
Jim
Cooling Savant

Leuf-

Thanks for the info, can you give me a spec on a rheostat I can get please?
Jim
Unread 02-17-2002, 06:07 PM   #4
Leuf
Cooling Neophyte

I use the pcmods.com rheobus - if you're just doing the one fan then that's of course overkill. I've seen something like this around a few places:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/rheosformc.html

zalman also has one, but it uses 3 pin connectors. Most of the rheostats you'll see on sites are 5 watts, you can't go too wrong.
Unread 02-17-2002, 06:20 PM   #5
Jim
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Leuf
I use the pcmods.com rheobus - if you're just doing the one fan then that's of course overkill. I've seen something like this around a few places:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/rheosformc.html

zalman also has one, but it uses 3 pin connectors. Most of the rheostats you'll see on sites are 5 watts, you can't go too wrong.
Yeah, I knew about that one, but my two 120 MM panaflo's are rated at .45 amps each almost a full amp for the two I will be using. So I think the Sidewinder is too small, or am I calculating incorrectly? That should be 10.80 watts, right?

Jim
Unread 02-17-2002, 07:40 PM   #6
Leuf
Cooling Neophyte

whoops, you're right, the 120 mm is just over 5 watts - so no go there. I think the zalman one is 6 watts. You might look into the LM317 voltage regulator, caseetc has a kit for it, but you only need 1 - the kit has 2

http://www.caseetc.com/cgi-bin/caseetc/F-397.html
Unread 02-17-2002, 11:07 PM   #7
Brians256
Pro/Staff

If you go the voltage regulator route (a good option), take a look at Uller's LM317 tutorial. I give an URL linkage to his site in my fan speed control article. It takes all of five components to do it (three if you don't care about smoothing out the voltage with capacitors). It's darn easy and it works well. The only drawback is that using an LM317 means that you can't get a full 12V to the fan anymore because the LM317 consumes a bit of voltage. You can only get about 10.6V or 11V (I can't remember the exact number).
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2002, 06:43 AM   #8
Jim
Cooling Savant

Thanks BRIANS256-

Is this located up in the FAQ section, your article I mean?
JIm
Unread 02-18-2002, 09:13 AM   #9
Brians256
Pro/Staff

My article is here: http://www.procooling.com/articles/h...trol_met.shtml

Ryan Meyer's (Uller) article is here: http://casemods.pointofnoreturn.org/vregtut/

FAQ?
Unread 02-19-2002, 08:18 PM   #10
Jim
Cooling Savant

Brians256-

Thanks again for the info. Do you think the Case.ETC Baybuss 350 kit is a good value or is it best to round up the parts myself?

The Baybus 6A kit is $39.95 plus shipping. How hard is it to locate all the components?

Jim
Unread 02-20-2002, 02:18 AM   #11
Brad
Thermophile

the caseetc baybus kit is quite decently priced, it may be a little high, but you only have to pay one lot of shipping from one company, instead of from differant people, or driving around the place

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2002, 11:53 AM   #12
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Brad is right. The price for the baybus kit is not bad. However, it all depends upon how much you want to put things together. For seven dollars more you could get the Maelstrom, which is already assembled. That's not a lot for the amount of labour you'd save. Plus, the Maelstrom is very well done.

Me, I'd probably just get stuff from local distributors or from Radio Shack. But, it wouldn't look nearly as nice as the Maelstrom. Also, I tend to spend more than I should on parts because I get spare parts at the same time. I also spend money on tools. It's cheaper to buy them pre-assembled if you don't have the tools!
Unread 02-20-2002, 12:23 PM   #13
Jim
Cooling Savant

Brian-
yeah I was looking at that and thinking about the labor time as well.

thanks
Jim