Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 03-03-2002, 08:17 AM   #1
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Stealth blowholes

I found these pictures on my HDD from a very old project I still haven't finished, ao I thought I would put them here. I got the idea from www.multiplaycity.com (the site that came up with stealth cd-roms too) and so the idea isn't completely original. I think it looks really good though and I have only seen a handful of these done so I thought I would share.

Ok you start off by making a blowhole in the case as normal: Draw a pattern and cut the hole.

I didn't drill any holes though because the fan mounting will all be hidden.

Next, you just have to epoxy some bolts to the underside of the ccase with JB weld. I used the fan grille to make sure everything was in the right place. I guess you could measure or something if you really wanted:

From here I put some window trim around the blowhole to cover up any imperfections in the cut and then just tightened the fan onto the top of the case. It is really secure; jb weld isn't going anywhere.

Yes there is a nick there where I slipped with the damn dremel. That is what paint is for:

I personally like this look a lot better than the exposed bolts and have done it a couple of times now with good results. The second time I used thinner and longer bolts so that a wider rangeof fans would fit. You'll have to just use your own judgement on that.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2002, 06:18 PM   #2
WebMasta33
Cooling Savant

It would look 10 times better if you DIDN'T use any molding, and had the hole perfectly cut to the fan size.

Other than that, yeah, nice mod.
--768mb of PC2100 (@140FSB)
--Asus v8200 GeForce3 @ 210/490
--Maxtor 40gb Quiet + 2 IBM 40gb 60GXPs (removable) + 8gb WD
--Audigy
--Maze 3, DD Gf3 block, 2x BIX, Eheim1250
===========
WebMasta33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2002, 01:34 PM   #3
cristoff
Cooling Savant

nice nice... vedy nice.. me do same thng soon... hehe...
no i am not german... I just wanted to sound funny in the beginning... But all fun aside... this is cool. I have been wanting to do that for a while now.
cristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2002, 02:28 PM   #4
Leuf
Cooling Neophyte

That isn't a stealth blowhole...

This is :P Note that you could just drill/dremel a smaller cutout rather than cut out for a grill like I did.
Leuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2002, 07:44 PM   #5
Brad
Thermophile

Although I think pH's mod looks more professional, I like leuf's idea much better, you could do that all along the top edge of your case on both sides, and as those things are all over ebay at like $5 each, it would be a cheap way of getting a load of exhaust fans

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2002, 11:48 AM   #6
mx-6*
Cooling Savant

The only problem is that those fans aren't any good. I had one and threw it in the trash after a while because it started making noise and it didn't move much air anyway.
mx-6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2002, 11:55 AM   #7
iceheart
Cooling Savant

I think the molding on the first one looks a lot better than a plain case edge or grill outside...
iceheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2002, 11:33 PM   #8
Leuf
Cooling Neophyte

Hmm, well it's been running for about a month now with no problems, and still puts out a good stream of air at 3/4 voltage. My only complaint about them is the motors get quite warm.
Unread 03-07-2002, 02:36 PM   #9
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

pH, ive seen that done over @ Bit-Tech
leuf, thats neat! LOL!! you can buy those from MWave for $7 apiece (they are called the MWave slot fan, or something like that, but its actually the Vantec slot fan).
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2002, 06:16 PM   #10
mx-6*
Cooling Savant

Yeah, everybody sells them but I don't know why.

I guess for a mod like that they are a good idea but they are made to go under a video card and remove the hot air and it doesn't do shit. So I don't see how they could make a difference at the top of the case either. Unless you used like 4 of them. :shrug:
mx-6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2002, 11:57 PM   #11
Leuf
Cooling Neophyte

While they don't put out anywhere near the 42 cfm claimed on the package, they still put out a good stream of air. My case sits on the floor under the desk, about a foot from the keyboard and I can feel the air moving on my fingers. If you look in the air cooling forum you'll see a post I did a while back where I did a Silverado on steroids with 2 of these blowers, and while the results weren't overwhelming they did come close to a delta screamer.

Because it's under the desk and there's only about an inch between the top of the case and the underside of the desk a blowhole wouldn't work as well, and would be noisy. If you were relying on the blowhole as one of your primary exhausts, then yes one of these wouldn't be enough. But most of my heat is going out the psu and fan by the cpu, this is just mopping up the leftovers.

Plus, you don't lose the top of the case for piling up crap
Unread 03-14-2002, 03:57 PM   #12
decodeddiesel
Cooling Savant

cool pH, reminds me of Rikk's work with the window. Clean job for sure.
but i'll never be top of the line again
...i'd rather be nothing...
decodeddiesel is offline   Reply With Quote