Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-22-2004, 10:56 PM   #1
BadPenguin
Cooling Neophyte

Default Resivor designs

Can somebody help me design a cost effective resivor? Here is my general design:

or click here

I dont think as of now, that this deisng will work, but hopefully you will get what im trying to do. Im trying to avoid a big resivor, while being able to add water without having to open a closed system. Or do you guys suggest an actual resivor? I saw a picture of this one guys system, it kinda looked like a water treatment plant (big resivor). I am open to any suggestions, even some good resivor suggestions. I have a sepp case for my pump and resivor, so space isnt really a factor.
BadPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2004, 05:49 AM   #2
8-Ball
Cooling Savant

If you are wanting to use the res as an airtrap, then there is one thing you need to consider.

Most airtraps are constructed from a cylinder (usually transparent plastic so you can see the water level)

Air bubbles always rise at the same speed in water provided it has the same viscosity and so on.

Any way, in order for an airtrap to work, it should be of a large enough diameter that the downward speed of the water flow is less than the upward speed of the air bubbles, hence they won't be pulled down to the outlet of the airtrap.

Hope that makes sense.

8-ball

READ ALL OF THIS!!!!
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2004, 08:29 AM   #3
Meethoss
Cooling Savant

Just go for a Danger Den res - fit's all of 8-ball's points and isn't very expensive (IMO).
Unread 02-23-2004, 10:31 PM   #4
Gooserider
Cooling Savant

1. It should connect from near the bottom of the res to the INLET of the pump, using as large and short a hose as will fit on the pump. The idea is to have NO pressure drop between the res and the pump inlet. (aka Net Positive Suction Head or NPSH)

2. The rest of the system should dump into the res, about 3/4 of the way up from the bottom

3. There should be a snug lid on the res that can easily be removed for filling.

Simple as that... A res is one of the easiest parts of a system to do as a home build, and is very flexible in how you design it.

Gooserider
Unread 02-24-2004, 02:55 AM   #5
-J-

heres a pic of my res, quite big, but looking good

-J- is offline   Reply With Quote