Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-10-2004, 02:53 AM   #1
opteron_bitch
Cooling Neophyte

Default Assembly of highest performing water cooling rig

Can you water cooling experts give me some advice on what parts to get for the highest performing water cooling system? I've been told to get heater cores instead of radiators (more spacifically the Fedco 2-342). What pump would you get (I've been recommended the MCP 600 pump)? Also shoud I get a reservoir, or t-line?
Note: this water cooling system will be all 1/2", and will include 2 cpu blocks and 1 gpu block, it will also be internal (Lian Li PC-73 case). Also I won't have so much room because of a 12"x13" server board. Thanks for any suggestions.
opteron_bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2004, 03:18 PM   #2
redleader
Thermophile

IS the Lian Li PC-73 going to be large enough? Google only turns up a few low resolution shots of the inside, but it looks like it'd be increadibly cramped if you tried to route 1/2 tube from 3 waterblocks.

EDIT: Nevermind found a better shot of the inside:

http://www.pc-cooling.de/catalog/tpl...092000d_gr.jpg

Looks like that case has a lot of potiential. YOu could fit a core up front and perhaps in the top rear, as well as a pump in several spots.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2004, 03:45 PM   #3
opteron_bitch
Cooling Neophyte

I was told if I was using a heater core, I would need to mod it... Can you give me some info on heater cores, and how I would use them differently than a radiator in my setup?

Also, do you think the swiftech or DD water blocks would cool opterons better?

What pump, heater core(s), and other parts shoud I get for the ultimate internal WC rig?

Last edited by opteron_bitch; 07-10-2004 at 03:53 PM.
Unread 07-10-2004, 05:20 PM   #4
Senater_Cache
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by opteron_bitch
I was told if I was using a heater core, I would need to mod it... Can you give me some info on heater cores, and how I would use them differently than a radiator in my setup?
Well, Heatercores are made for use in motorized vehicles. The ones we as Water Coolers tend to use are mainly Car-heatercores. If you buy your Core at say, autozone or Pitstop or any car parts dealer, it will be made for use with automobile cooling. In such a case you would have to attach barbs to the tanks of the core yourself.
You do not have to do this however if you buy pre-modded cores from DangerDen or Dtek. These core cost maybe 10 dollars more but are fitted with barbs for watercooling. (Dtek are modded with threaded NPT while DD are just soldered on barbs)

DD
Dtek

hope this helps...

SenC.
Senater_Cache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2004, 06:03 PM   #5
opteron_bitch
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks senator cache...
Any info on which heater core to buy? Which has the best performance? Also, anyone have any recommendations on which pump is the best to get?
Unread 07-10-2004, 06:54 PM   #6
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

MCP 600 is good, as is Mag 3, DD D4 (loud)

The bigger the better as heater cores go, but you'd probably want a smaller one for an internal setup. Go to www.xtremesystems.org/forums for a heater core modding guide.
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2004, 10:45 PM   #7
quicksilverXP
Cooling Neophyte

Ay, are you BSD from nvnews? Well, you stumbled upon the perfect place for WC help. Here's the thread for modding a dual heatercore, but it'll be just a tad different with the Fedco if you want to use that.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...e&pagenumber=2
quicksilverXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2004, 12:16 PM   #8
opteron_bitch
Cooling Neophyte

I've stubled upon that dual core thread also.... but to use it I would have to make an external enclosure.

A dual 80mm heater core will fit in my case though....What heater core do you know of that is dual 80mm? Also, because the heater core is on the very top of the case, will I need to put the t-line at the very top also?

Last edited by opteron_bitch; 07-26-2004 at 12:54 PM.