Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 08-17-2004, 08:03 AM   #1
Karantanec
Cooling Neophyte

Default Best low-resistance CPU block for AMD?

Generally speaking, what would be he best low-resistance CPU block for an
Athlon XP, in use with a Hydor L30 pump, 1/2" ID tubing and a system with several waterblocks in use (CPU, NB, GPU and possibly more)?
Karantanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 08:03 AM   #2
Cathar
Thermophile

Define "low resistance".
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 09:15 AM   #3
j813
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karantanec
what would be he best low-resistance CPU block for an
Athlon XP, in use with a Hydor L30 pump, 1/2" ID tubing and a system with several waterblocks in use (CPU, NB, GPU and possibly more)?
Maybe you mean Low Flow "Resistance"?

Edit:
Or Low (Flow) Restriction CPU Block?

Last edited by j813; 08-17-2004 at 10:55 AM. Reason: edit question
j813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 09:25 AM   #4
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

Why would you want a low flow resistance block rather than a high performance one for the CPU?
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 12:40 PM   #5
Karantanec
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAlpaca
Why would you want a low flow resistance block rather than a high performance one for the CPU?
By low resistance I mean a waterblock with minimal waterflow resistance (not low-flow)aka. high-flow and low resistance to the flow. (maybe i'm translating it wrong )

The system I'm designing uses as much straight, short, big tubing and as much unrestricted flow as possible and no bottlenecks to allow the use of several "low restriction to the flow" waterblocks in the system. I dont know how the Hydor L30 will handle the quite long travel path through the system, so I wanna use as low-restrictive blocks to allow maksimum unhindered flow throughout the system as possible...
The system is meant to run passively, so a stronger-louder pump with higher head-flow is out of the question - thats why all the fuss about "easy, unhindered flow" through the waterblocks (low resistance to flow to allough max head possible)

Hope that explains it
Unread 08-17-2004, 12:52 PM   #6
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

I understand what you're saying, but you should be looking for high performance rather than low resistance. Your goal should be temperatures but it seems to be flow, which is usually a means to get a lower temperature and not an end result.
Unread 08-17-2004, 01:20 PM   #7
Karantanec
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but you should be looking for high performance rather than low resistance. Your goal should be temperatures but it seems to be flow, which is usually a means to get a lower temperature and not an end result.
Of course I meant a compromise between flow and efficiency.

Maybe I should refrase the question - which of the top10 performance blocks or types of blocks are also the least resistant to flow?
The pump category being a Hydor l30 -> medium flow pump?
Unread 08-17-2004, 02:01 PM   #8
Ruiner
Cooling Savant

http://www.procooling.com/html/pro_testing.php
Take your pick.
Ruiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 03:30 PM   #9
Karantanec
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner
SO, the Litle River Cascade SS and similar models are still the best waterblocks except for really low-flow systems?
Unread 08-17-2004, 03:43 PM   #10
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

Well, more accurately, they're the best waterblocks for higher flow systems. 1GPM or even 1.5GPM (where the MCW 6002 meets the WW, the closest in performance for easily available WB's) is not low flow by our definitions at all, and once a MCW 6002 is in your loop flow will probably be in the lower range of that.
Unread 08-17-2004, 04:03 PM   #11
Karantanec
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Well, more accurately, they're the best waterblocks for higher flow systems. 1GPM or even 1.5GPM (where the MCW 6002 meets the WW, the closest in performance for easily available WB's) is not low flow by our definitions at all, and once a MCW 6002 is in your loop flow will probably be in the lower range of that.
I understand, but what the chart doesnt show is the waterblocks resistance to flow...
I can see that the Swiftech series is good for flow, but what other blocks are equally effective as a LR WW, but without the jet impingement and similar high-restrictive flow technology?
Unread 08-17-2004, 04:44 PM   #12
greenman100
Cooling Savant

misinformation in this thread is running buck wild

AA an easy target?

Ruiner's not helping either

First, to further define the goal:

Low restriction for a weak pump/multiple block situation, the justification could be there

the pro/testing page will not help you, as pressure drop figures are not available.

now make an educated decision, obtain pressure drop information for the said blocks, overlay pressure drop curve of waterblock, with fudge factor for rest of system on top of pump curve, take the data point at which the lne cross, go to C/W vs. flow, then start comparing

if it sounds too complicated, go to OCers, they'll spoonfeed (mis)information with no qualms
If you decide it's worth the effort, keep posting here

Last edited by greenman100; 08-17-2004 at 06:27 PM.
greenman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 05:41 PM   #13
rundymc
Cooling Neophyte

mcw5002 is a good 'low flow resistance' waterblock to answer your original question- but as far as I see the Cascade seems to kick arse in low flow applications
rundymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 06:09 PM   #14
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

Perhaps I should clarify. The MCW 6002 has the same pressure drop as the WW, and about 25% more pressure drop than an RBX or a TDX. It has slightly less pressure drop than a Cascade, but I lack numbers for the Cascade. That 25% difference between the TDX/RBX and the MCW 6002 equates to a very small difference in flow, and the performance difference removes the bad effects of that flow difference with your apparent setup. The pressure drop of the CPU block becomes a much smaller issue if your other blocks are relatively restrictive.
Unread 08-17-2004, 06:28 PM   #15
greenman100
Cooling Savant

5002??????
greenman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 03:15 AM   #16
rundymc
Cooling Neophyte

mcw5002

larger barbs, not at angle, less restriction than the original mcw5000
not sold by swiftech anymore, but I think some online stores should have stock
in any case, the mcw6002 will perform better due to its performance at relatively low flows- I see little reason to go for a hunt for its older bro if its easier to get hold of the 6002
rundymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 05:23 AM   #17
Karantanec
Cooling Neophyte

Greenman100:
-WHere can I get the pressure drops for the most popular waterblocks? Is there a chart for that?

ANgryAlpaca
I dont see how an MCW has more pressure drop then a waterblock with jet impingement technology...
Unread 08-18-2004, 09:21 AM   #18
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

It uses jet impingement. Also, it's filled with pins.
Unread 08-18-2004, 09:47 AM   #19
Ruiner
Cooling Savant

[quote=Karantanec]Greenman100:
-WHere can I get the pressure drops for the most popular waterblocks? Is there a chart for that?

QUOTE]
I recall Cathar quoting approx 1psi pressure drop for the Cascade at 1gpm. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=266384

overclockers has results for other blocks here: http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/wbsum.asp
Ruiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 11:12 AM   #20
Karantanec
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
It uses jet impingement. Also, it's filled with pins.
The MCW series uses jet impingement? Sorry, I didnt know that.

The links were quite helpfull and I need to study it more, but what performance waterblock without jet impingement-accelerator nozzles does Pro/Forums suggest?
Unread 08-18-2004, 11:40 AM   #21
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

Karantanec
I think you are chasing words w/o understanding what is meant by their use

"low flow resistance"
does NO cooling, eh ? just maximizes the flow rate

when using an aquarium pump this is a useful approach, but will never result in performance equal to a system with a pressure capable pump and a moderately restrictive wb

you are designing a system that at best will be 4-5°C off of what is routinely available with a Swiftech kit ??

the flow restriction in well designed wbs is why they work, not a bad thing at all
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 03:40 PM   #22
Karantanec
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
Karantanec
I think you are chasing words w/o understanding what is meant by their use

"low flow resistance"
does NO cooling, eh ? just maximizes the flow rate

when using an aquarium pump this is a useful approach, but will never result in performance equal to a system with a pressure capable pump and a moderately restrictive wb

you are designing a system that at best will be 4-5°C off of what is routinely available with a Swiftech kit ??

the flow restriction in well designed wbs is why they work, not a bad thing at all

I might be chasing words, but the meaning should be obvious.

OF COURSE the block would have flow restriction - But what I'm trying to find is a waterblock that can come close to top-cooling waterblocks, but without their usual high restriction to flow.

I dont think that's unreasonable.
Unread 08-18-2004, 03:53 PM   #23
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Quote:
I might be chasing words, but the meaning should be obvious.

OF COURSE the block would have flow restriction - But what I'm trying to find is a waterblock that can come close to top-cooling waterblocks, but without their usual high restriction to flow.

I think the big question is why? Why does it matter how restrictive the block is? Isn't performance what matters? I could probably find a block that would increase my flow by 1/2 or so, but at what point?

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums
*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 03:53 PM   #24
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

its always refreshing to hear that wb designers have missed the obvious
perhaps Cathar's new wb ?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 03:57 PM   #25
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
what I'm trying to find is a waterblock that can come close to top-cooling waterblocks, but without their usual high restriction to flow.

Whether you think it's unreasonable or not isn't that relevant. What people here are saying is that such a block doesn't really exist.

Still - since you're pushing the issue, perhaps the BeCooling SlitEdge or the Swiftech MCW5002 may be the closest thing to the answer you're looking for - but for what reason I still fail to understand.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote