Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 09-09-2003, 04:02 PM   #26
winewood
Cooling Savant

actually.. no. Without a path to direct flow over an area, turbulence will not do anything really. Think baseball. The runners will follow the bases. Same with water, the path of least resistance. If you know the water is being routed over an area, the key is to place the turbulence under that flow. Try this, make your ) a U by lengthening the arms of it. Then place turbulence along the path as it goes back to the outlet. This is the only way I see that working.
Unread 09-10-2003, 01:33 AM   #27
Tens0r
Cooling Neophyte

i think any fins outside the core area are a bit unesscessary as all the do is slow down flow and majority of the heat will not even make it to them.

not to mention costly machining time on a CNC and programming.
Tens0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2003, 11:31 AM   #28
grassi3000
Cooling Neophyte

So, now I've got photos of the first versions of my blocks

Base Plate CPU

Middle Plate CPU

The NB Block

And the GPU Block (it was milled about 2 months ago, so there is a little bit of oxidation on it, sorry for the bad pic)

Unfortunately I was not possible to mill some parts out of plexi, because the acrylic would have been broken....
Unread 10-31-2003, 12:16 PM   #29
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Cool, glad to see people actually making some stuff around here.....
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2003, 03:36 PM   #30
winewood
Cooling Savant

I am really interested in hearing how that middle plate works at directing the flow into the dimples! Do you have any tests lined up for it? I was wondering the same thing .. do you need the tubes? If you cut the holes in the copper the plate becomes a tube afterall...
Unread 10-31-2003, 03:43 PM   #31
grassi3000
Cooling Neophyte

Actually I have got no tubes at all, only the drill holes in the 2nd copper block. The distance between the holes and the cups is 2mm or less, as far as I can remember.
This is one difference to cathar's cascade, where the tubes end in the cups afaik.

my cups have got the same diameter as the holes (49! with 1.2mm diameter).

Well I'm going to test this stuff as soon as I have got the other komponents for my watercooling systems and the final blocks.

Maybe Somebody will test the blocks too.
Unread 11-01-2003, 03:16 PM   #32
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by grassi3000
Actually I have got no tubes at all, only the drill holes in the 2nd copper block. The distance between the holes and the cups is 2mm or less, as far as I can remember.
This is one difference to cathar's cascade, where the tubes end in the cups afaik.

my cups have got the same diameter as the holes (49! with 1.2mm diameter).
Looks (in design principle) like one of my early prototypes:

The distances between the holes and the cups was about 2mm.

I had 72 holes in that prototype. It performs okay. Not quite up there with the White Water.

I almost dropped further development on the Cascade design after seeing the results with this block, but decided to persist.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2003, 11:03 AM   #33
WAJ_UK
Cooling Savant

After researching a lot on submerged water jets and looking at a fair bit of experimental data I would recommend that you try to set Z/d=5. Where Z is the jet height and d is the jet diameter. It might be a good starting point as this tends to give the best heat transfer coefficient between the copper and water for a wide range of water velocities
Will
WAJ_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2003, 02:02 PM   #34
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by WAJ_UK
After researching a lot on submerged water jets and looking at a fair bit of experimental data I would recommend that you try to set Z/d=5. Where Z is the jet height and d is the jet diameter. It might be a good starting point as this tends to give the best heat transfer coefficient between the copper and water for a wide range of water velocities
Will
Anywhere between 4 and 5, but yeah, 5 is a good starting point.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2003, 02:56 PM   #35
Les
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Will
Do you have a url with an example of this work or is access to a university library recquired.?
Have,for some time, been enquiring about the papers which show this ( http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...5&pagenumber=3 ).
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2003, 03:41 AM   #36
WAJ_UK
Cooling Savant

I found lots of information in the "Advances in Heat Transfer" journels from my uni library
WAJ_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2003, 03:52 AM   #37
Les
Cooling Savant

Quote:
I found lots of information in the "Advances in Heat Transfer" journels from my uni library
Ah, the privileged
Long gone are those days
Now have to survive on common fare - the odd grain of wheat amidst endless Google chaff
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2003, 04:08 AM   #38
grassi3000
Cooling Neophyte

If I remember correctly, my Z/d is about 3,3333... (I can't tell exactly because my plans are on the other computer)

but I'm looking forward to testing my block.

As soon as I've got the final versions in my hands, I'll take some pics again and post them here.