Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 08-10-2003, 06:21 PM   #226
Solarian League
Cooling Neophyte

so how long should i expect my johnson pump to run?
Solarian League is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2003, 06:28 PM   #227
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

I've been told that the manufacturer's spec for the MTBF is 2500 hours.
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2003, 06:33 PM   #228
t00lb0x
Cooling Savant

Thats reasonably long. About 104 days if you run it non-stop. But, if your like me, and run it for about 1/3 1/4 of the day it'll last a year or so.
Unread 08-11-2003, 04:26 AM   #229
JCYC5
Cooling Savant

Wait, so the cap doesn't get soldered onto the pump itself, but on the power line?

Does anyone have a diagram that could explain this to a confused little guy please?
JCYC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2003, 07:15 AM   #230
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

The cap. goes on the power lines and as close to the pump as possible. This can be interpreted as inside the pump -if you dare... Since the metal housing is a shield, or could be an antenna, you might solder a capacitor from each power lead to the motor housing as an option. This required a lot more heat and may not be possible with your soldering iron :shrug:

The performance of the filter cap(s) will be just fine if you mount them to the motor leads reasonably close to the motor.
Unread 08-11-2003, 08:22 AM   #231
JCYC5
Cooling Savant

Can someone also post a picture of the exact cap I need please? I can get my dad to get me the caps, but he needs to know what they look like and what color stripes they have on them etc...
JCYC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2003, 08:43 AM   #232
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

If you will read this thread then you will find the information you are looking for. There are pictures, part numbers, and links. If you need more information, you can then Google a little. Also try some of the online parts houses: Newark, Digikey, etd. (You can find the pictures yourself quicker and easier than someone can post them).
Unread 08-11-2003, 02:33 PM   #233
Solarian League
Cooling Neophyte

little tinny problem i run my system damn near 24/7 so that's bad news bah i want the damn thing to last more than a year or so
Unread 08-11-2003, 09:32 PM   #234
Phant0m51
Cooling Savant

Well I don't have a WC setup yet, but I'm slowly building it. So I bought 2. Heh. I figure, hey with the 104 day life expectancy, and at that price, I might as well get 2. Hopefully they last longer than the 104 day period though!

I've got an idea on how I'm going to cool these bad boys down. I'm going to take an old P4 heatsink (cheapo $7 sink) and have somebody mill down the bottom of it so that there's almost no bottom. Then I'll break the fins off 1 by 1, and then I'll splice the aluminum fins in about 16 sections (Still connected) and wrap it around the motor. I'll use some Arctic Silver Thermal Bonding glue, or whatever it's called, to hold it in place.

Anybody think this idea has any flaws?
Phant0m51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2003, 10:26 PM   #235
Solarian League
Cooling Neophyte

hey a question anyone tried these pump?

little giant

9gallon a min sounds tasy to me
Unread 08-11-2003, 10:45 PM   #236
t00lb0x
Cooling Savant

No but looks good!
Unread 08-12-2003, 12:31 AM   #237
flyingass
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Phant0m51
...I've got an idea on how I'm going to cool these bad boys down. I'm going to take an old P4 heatsink ... ...
Anybody think this idea has any flaws?
I think your idea's flaw is...it doesn't really need to be cooled down. A device like this is far less picky about operating temp than a processor. maybe put it in front of a case fan if you're really obsessive. after all, the mfgr's spec for continuous operating temp is -40 to 80° C. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that 50° C case temp they can occasionally get to is nowhere near the max operating temperature of ferrite magnets, and hardly enough to significantly weaken them over the lifetime of the pump.

speaking of pump lifetime -
Since87, where did you get the 2500hr spec?

Last edited by flyingass; 08-12-2003 at 12:38 AM.
flyingass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 01:49 AM   #238
Solarian League
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by t00lb0x
No but looks good!
only problem is that thing is a little bulky and heavy, anyway i told my dad that it would be just fine if i just bolted the sucker on top of the computer and he said no way it will look ugly and i was like oh well i personaly would think it would be sort of cool to have a pump on top of your case esp if its a huge one, that sucker is what 6 pounds ouch,

anyway he wants an small and compact pump, the johnson pump is a no go so ive been looking around and i found some good ones but i have no clue on how to acquate these, anyway i even thought about running 2 or 3 cheaper small ehams in parallel or something to get the high flow i need for the cacidde waterblock (yeah i know i mulated the name badly) anyway his main problem with the johnson pump is that its not 1/2 NDP i told him to goop it in but he's like NO! so i'm stuck with trying to find a 1/2" threaded in and out pump which has about 6-10 gallon/min flow

anyway how does this one look pdf doc of this pump

anyway the specs of it is

10 cm high
19 cm long
11.2 cm wide
2 kilos about a pound, not bad
max pressure 1.4 bars
max flow, 33-35 liters a min
max head 2.3-3.6
temp range -20 to +85 c
motor output 18 watt
i think both ports are 1/2" not sure. anyway that info is on the first page of the spec sheet check it out.

and thanks
Unread 08-12-2003, 07:02 AM   #239
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

I suggest keeping any pump as low in the system as you can. A tall water column at the pump's inlet increases the pump's efficiency and quietens it's operation. This is called a "Flooded Head". It is never a good idea to lift a liquid or restrict a pump's suction side. Mounting the pump on the top of the case will also make the system difficult to prime and bleed.
Unread 08-12-2003, 07:30 AM   #240
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

If you have 60 Hz power then that pump looks like a good choice -even favorable when compared to the Johnson. It can generate 1.1/2 times the static pressure than what I measured with my Johnson. Do you have any $cheaper sources to buy it?

edit: mean't to say 60 Hz

Last edited by CoolROD; 08-12-2003 at 03:28 PM.
CoolROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 09:21 AM   #241
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by flyingass
speaking of pump lifetime -
Since87, where did you get the 2500hr spec?
Second page of this thread.

Use, "Find on this page", "MTBF".
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 02:46 PM   #242
Solarian League
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by CoolROD
If you have 50 Hz power then that pump looks like a good choice -even favorable when compared to the Johnson. It can generate 1.1/2 times the static pressure than what I measured with my Johnson. Do you have any $cheaper sources to buy it?
amercans use 115 - 120 volts house electricity, but i don't know what sort of herz my powerlines are. any guesses or any idea on how to find that info out?

now only problem is figuring out how to purchase this pump the manufactor of this pump has no online ordering form so i probably will need to e-mail or call them to get some more info such as pricing and so on, but if its reasonable aka around $100ish or so it would be perfect for our need, all the other pump that i have found so far that would meet my needs are waaaaay too big aka 8 pound monsters, this thing is nice and small and about a pound which is about how much the johnson weights. plus its also come with 1/2" ports on the in and out on the pump which is perfect for my watercooling loop.

anyway regarding the placement of the pump. i have an lian-li 75 case and that thing is massive, anyway i got 4x 5.25" ports free on top of the computer, so i moved my cdrom and dvd player to the bottom 2 ports and i'm now with my dad help constructing an little windtunnel with two parsonic pafinfo 114CFM fan not the most powerful but its pretty quite fan about 35 dBa which is perfect, plus i can always upgrade if i need better one, anyway the power supply unit which is an antec 550 only eats up half of the power supply port so we have pretty much the entire top of the computer free to put our radator core and stuff, the reason is i don't want to do a lots of cutting or stuff to the beauful lian-li case, plus i was orginaly going to place both radator and pump at the bottom where the harddrive used to be but i changed my mind, it would had included too much metal cutting and stuff on the case plus we would have to move alots of wire around and so on. anyway i know the radator and pump on the top of the case isn't the best postion for it but... anyway the system is going to be probably a inline system with no water tank, or if we do have a water tank, an pretty darn small one. anyway i'm needing a small pump so we can fit that sucker into the wind tunnel so the air flow would keep the pump cooled off too, anyway the one i found looks like a perfect one, only problem is figuring out how to order and acquate that thing.
Unread 08-12-2003, 03:40 PM   #243
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

The U.S. uses 60 Hz Most of Europe uses 50 Hz. I have no idea where you live b/c your location says "Solarian League".

notice the above edit: "mean't to say 60 Hz"

A synchronous (AC) motor with the same number of poles will run faster at 60 Hz than 50 Hz. That is why the 60 Hz graph is much taller -it can generate more static pressure. It should be wider also -but there are obviously some fluid dynamics involved...or the 60 Hz motor has slightly less torque -which would make sense if these two motors are equal horsepower.

Welcome to the fun of water cooling a PC! Whatever you decide to do -->it will be your own custom job.

edit: Ben might flame us for adding a whole page to this thread...must...stay...on...target...

Last edited by CoolROD; 08-12-2003 at 03:49 PM.
CoolROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 05:28 PM   #244
Solarian League
Cooling Neophyte

about my location heh sorry about that i guess u could say i'm little parnoid about that sort of stuff, anyway yeah i live in the usa. its in colorado right now but on aug 28th i'm moving to new york, which probably have same power grid as colorado has just larger

about the pump being on the bottom, i think i might have some room on the bottom of my case but not that much but if the pump isn't that large i might be able to atleast stick it somewhere close to the bottom if not on the bottom, but odds is i won't be able to.
Unread 08-13-2003, 12:30 AM   #245
FuzzyFace
Cooling Neophyte

Solarian:

The ports on that pump are 22mm in diameter, about 0.88 inches. That’s way over the 0.5 inches you want.
Unread 08-13-2003, 01:15 AM   #246
Cathar
Thermophile

Has anyone living internationally received theirs?

It's been about 7 weeks now for me and still no sign of my pumps.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2003, 01:17 AM   #247
Solarian League
Cooling Neophyte

F.U.C.K

ive been spending the last few days trying to find an small compact pump with 1/2" ports in the range of about 6-9 GAL/Min and i have only found a few pump that provides that and most of them are 6 pounds to 8 pounds and an pretty good size so wouldn't fit very good in my case so i need help here! for some arcane and obscute reason my dad won't let me just bolt or goop in an 1/2" into my johnson pump so i'm stuck trying to find a pump with an 1/2" port for in and out....
Unread 08-13-2003, 03:18 AM   #248
Turbokeu
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathar
Has anyone living internationally received theirs?

It's been about 7 weeks now for me and still no sign of my pumps.
Same for me... (ordered them beginning of june)
It's even the second time they sent me the pumps (first time they came back to the states).

CD
Turbokeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2003, 09:15 AM   #249
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

Solarian League, There are hose-reducing barbs readily available to adapt 1/2" hose to 3/4" hose and kits are available that come with a short piece of the bigger hose and plastic snap clamps. Mabye that will help you.

Also, 5/8" I.D. hose will go on the Johnson without too much trouble. I did it and did not use heat or anything special...just a tiny amount of grease or soap or whatever was close by. It actually worked pretty well. Can you use 5/8 anywhere else?
Unread 08-13-2003, 04:35 PM   #250
Solarian League
Cooling Neophyte

i know there's kits for hose redcludtion from say 1 inch to 1/2 inch and stuff but my dad thinks they look like shit and that theyre "bad" for the pump so i'm trying to find a pump with two port the in and out being both 1/2" and i found a few but most of em are 6 pounds and up, too big.

and everything in my system is a 1/2" my radator, cpu waterblock, gpu waterblock, only thing that isn't a 1/2" right now is the johnson pump.