Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 05-01-2003, 11:55 PM   #1
Taikoen
Cooling Neophyte

Default Newbie Fan Question

Ignore the water cooling part of this, but...

If I have a 120mm pulling air through a radiator as a front exhaust fan, and a 120mm rear exhaust fan, I really need to add a 120mm side intake fan, right?

I guess my real question is, does the air intake need to equal the air exhaust for max cooling performance? And in that case, would two 120mm side intake fans work better?
1GB PC2700 GeIL @5-2-2-2
GeForce4 Ti4400
WD 80GB Cavier SE
Taikoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2003, 02:37 AM   #2
BrianW
Cooling Savant

If you do not have an intake fan, make sure you have alot of vents. If you do not, then try and match your intake and exhaust. Considering that the fan that is exhausting through the radiator will not be flowing at its rated flow you should be fine with only one intake fan.

BrianW

Flow: Res, Pump, CPU watervlock, Y into both rads, both rads into res independently.

Athlon XP 1800+ (@ 1731 - 150mhz fsb.), on a Asus A7N266-c, and a Radeon 9000 *waiting for RMA'd Saphire 9800 ultra from Newegg)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2003, 05:23 AM   #3
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Location: 4-sided room with an exit going east, and an exit going south

I though the intake flow was supposed to *exceed* the exhaust flow in order to maintain a positive case pressure.
JSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2003, 09:12 PM   #4
BrianW
Cooling Savant

The only reason for that is if you filter the air coming into your case. The posotive pressure would ensure that all incoming air into the system comes through the filters. I was never one for filtering, so I never paid much attention to that requirement. I just try and keep it relatively balanced. If it is a little posotive or negative is of no concern to me.

BrianW

Flow: Res, Pump, CPU watervlock, Y into both rads, both rads into res independently.

Athlon XP 1800+ (@ 1731 - 150mhz fsb.), on a Asus A7N266-c, and a Radeon 9000 *waiting for RMA'd Saphire 9800 ultra from Newegg)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote