Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Closed Thread
Unread 10-09-2002, 12:57 PM   #1
AlmightySR
Complete Dumb Ass

Default Computer too loud? read this

Ok, so I was at my computer and it was very loud and I couldnt figure it out. So I opened it up and searched for the noise. As it turns out there are 3 fans in my computer. I shut it down and I duct taped over all the fans. Also I added insulation around the harddrive to make it quieter too. Just wanted to tell anyone that is having the same problem as me! your welcome all

~almighty
Unread 10-11-2002, 06:11 AM   #2
RoboTech
Cooling Savant

Dude... I think you have the wrong forum. (This is the Cooling forum.)

The "Run 'em hot/kill your components early" forum is elsewhere.

With your approach, it probably won't be long until your computer is totally silent...
Unread 11-22-2002, 04:58 PM   #3
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

NO! That won't make it completely silent. you still have other loud components to deal with. This can be fixed very cheaply like so:

http://www.rabidhardware.net/index.p...on=humour&id=3
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied

Last edited by airspirit; 11-22-2002 at 05:03 PM.
Unread 11-25-2002, 04:30 PM   #4
Axle
Cooling Savant

The hell's y'all's problem?

First, what kinda dumbass thing is duck taping over your fans? I mean WTF. Unplug em if you must, and take them out. Insulateing your HD w/o a HS is asking for it. Tell you what, take out the insulation and send me the $70, I just saved you a new HD. This is possibly the stupidest thread I've ever read. I mean the fans I have no problem with, I dont have any case fans myself, but duck taping over them? You'll burn out your fans and actually decrease the airflow if you just took them out, and then there'd be no case fan noise.

READ UP, buddy. Getta Zalman, go WC, panaflos, Pax.Mate, SilentDrive and/or suspend & Hsink, whatever, but this is plain stupid.

Air, buddy, seen that more than once here, wasn't funny the first time, aint funny now.
Unread 11-25-2002, 05:57 PM   #5
bikr
Cooling Savant

nahh he's on to something.. I just put some old styrophone into the fan blades so they couldn't turn and boom no more noise. nice going , i got my cdrom silent by not putting and cds in it and my harddrive by just unplugging the white molex from the back apparntly that is where the noise comes from.. having some OS problems i'll work on later but it's silent baby!!!
Unread 12-01-2002, 02:34 AM   #6
Antimatter
Cooling Neophyte

maybe almighty is kidding? its hard to tell sometimes...
XFX Geforce 4 TI4200
Unread 12-01-2002, 04:07 AM   #7
DarkEdge
Cooling Savant

Well I just don't turn mine on. Does that count?
3 80gb Seagates
3 40gb Maxtors
Unread 12-01-2002, 08:19 PM   #8
redleader
Thermophile

I can't tell if hes not too bright or just not funny. Maybe both.
Unread 12-01-2002, 09:05 PM   #9
Arcturius
Cooling Savant

Hey, I thought these were n00b friendly forums (even if he isn't very funny)...after all, I haven't been flogged (yet).

Then again Almighty, I think that joke made the front page of the [H] about two years ago, which, when repeated around here, is liable to get you killed.

I also agree with airspirit, that article was pretty funny (at least the first page). I especially liked the "Type R" crack.

Last edited by Arcturius; 12-01-2002 at 09:12 PM.
Unread 12-02-2002, 02:05 AM   #10
Brad
Thermophile

I really can't see how this thread can be beneficial to the forum in any way what so ever

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Closed Thread