Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 11-03-2002, 08:23 AM   #1
RoboTech
Cooling Savant

Blue DigiDoc5 Ghetto Mod

Hi guys,

I finally got around to modding one of my DD5s...

I am usually not one to cut corners or do things half-way, but in this case I decided to modify one of my DD5s without any delicate soldering (you will have to solder some wires) and without buying the expensive blue LCD back lights. I already had a bag full of assorted blue LEDs so I didn't have to buy anything. My method involves disassembling the DD5, carefully clipping off the two orange light bars and then gluing four super-bright, blue LEDs to the circuit board next to the display.

Blue DigiDoc5 Ghetto Mod

Note: The brightness and contrast are both weaker with the blue LEDs than with the original orange back lights. The display is actually a darker blue color than it appears in the picture above. This is in part due to the LEDs I used, which are rated at 3.5 VDC for full illumination so running all four on 12 VDC doesn't quite bring them to full power. The LCD may incorporate a filter or polarizing filter that is optimized for the longer wavelength orange light - I don't know. Anyway, it is still quite readable and looks very cool.

RoboTech
RoboTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2002, 03:01 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Your blue display is crooked!

Nice. I'm sure it was a fair bit of work. You might consider running those LEDs at full intensity, but that would be a much more extensive mod.

Now try to swap the display for a VFD!

Last edited by bigben2k; 11-03-2002 at 03:06 PM.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2002, 11:20 AM   #3
RoboTech
Cooling Savant

Hey Ben,
Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
Your blue display is crooked!
I know it looks that way in the pic... but the LCD really is mounted square and flush back in the DD5 bracket. I first noticed it when I was editing the pics in Photoshop for the article. Went and checked - and square as could be. A trick of light I guess... or camera angle.

Quote:
You might consider running those LEDs at full intensity, but that would be a much more extensive mod.
I considered wiring the LEDs in pairs and then powering each pair from 12V thru a resistor but decided to keep it simple. I don't think the 0.5V is making that much difference - they are really bright. I suspect the real problem is the LCD polarizing filter is probably optimized for red-yellow wavelengths and not transmitting the blue as well.

I'll wait for the next gen DD5 for the VFD...
RoboTech is offline   Reply With Quote