Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 12-15-2000, 02:06 PM   #1
squeese
Cooling Neophyte

Default Can my pump 'pump' it? :)

I have a 490 liters / hour submersible pump, which I'm going to use in my water cooling system. Though I have some questions, should I use a 'reservoirs' system (where I have lots of water, pump just pumps the water to my block on the cpu) or can It pump a radiator to? [pump-> radiator -> CpuBlock -> pump etc. Without a water reservoir. ?

and if anyone of you ever ordered this one http://www.overclockershideout.com/M...tegory_Code=S7 - Do the 'clamp' include?

/squeese
squeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2000, 03:04 PM   #2
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

hey bud,

K before we witness you do something horrible like buy something from OCH.. oops. I mean.. the wrong system, I will spell out for ya whatcha need

( have typed this before on the hardforum, just which I could find it there)

Quote:
should I use a 'reservoirs' system (where I have lots of water, pump just pumps the water to my block on the cpu) or can It pump a radiator to? [pump-> radiator -> CpuBlock -> pump etc. Without a water reservoir. ?
yes and yes.

A Reservoir system has a benefit of a more stable heat up and cool down of the coolant due to a lot more of it in the system.

an Inline one may heat up and cool down faster, but you don't have any insurance against a lil leaking out and stopping the coolant flow.

The Pumps most of us use are Centrifugal pumps and if they catch too much air in the housing they will go into a "air locked" state and not move any coolant ( they will just be noisy). The Inline can have a "Bleeder Assy" put in ( as in Unaclockers last article) to help purge air from the system. Its basically a small and sealed reservoir. Running a system with a res tank is nice for the fact you can have a surplus of coolant as well as a place for air to escape the coolant. One thing you do NOT want to do is put your pump in your Res. tank.
Yes I know OCH does that and I have no clue why. A Lil pump still will add heat to your cooling system almost to a full 4 Deg C! the best system I can se using right now for a small "in the case" system would be an inline system with the "bleeder" line on it.

Goes like this ->[res. tank( if there is one)]->[Pump]->[Radiator]->[CPU] -> back to res tank or back to the pump.

Its important to have the radiator be the LAST thing before the CPU, this way it will dissipate hear generated by the pump and anything that may heat the lines.

Hope this helps!
( damn I love this spell checker

------------------
C-ya
Joe - Owner/Editor
www.ProCooling.com
Where the Completely Addicted Come to Cool Off

Somebody set up us the bomb.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2000, 03:23 PM   #3
squeese
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks a bunch mate!
Now my only tought left is, where do I get myself a good water-block? Since OCH might not be the wisest choice.
Unread 12-15-2000, 04:07 PM   #4
squeese
Cooling Neophyte

Ohh, and do I have to worry about any condensation? Btw, what the heck is a peltier ;P
Unread 12-15-2000, 05:14 PM   #5
Cryonosis
Cooling Savant

well I'll take the peltier question,

for layman, the peltier is an electrical "heat-pump" by using the properties of dissimilar metals (imagine a wire with a chunk in the middle replaced with a different metal). when you apply a voltage across these metals one joint will get cold while the other gets hot. A peltier works along the same lines just a lot more efficiently. If you need any further explanations, don't be afraid to ask.

hope this helps you out some,

------------------
©××××ק===============
»»»»»»»»Cryonosis«««««««««
©××××ק===============
Cryonosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2000, 05:18 PM   #6
squeese
Cooling Neophyte

So the peltier will help cool down the cpu?
Hmm, so it has nothing to do with condensation?

Ohh, thanks alot mate!!

[This message has been edited by squeese (edited 12-15-2000).]
Unread 12-15-2000, 05:25 PM   #7
Cryonosis
Cooling Savant

actually peltiers are the main cause of condensation. when the cold side gets cold, it gets REALLY cold on your better peltiers. now when you have room temperature air and a very cold surface the cold surface will start having condensation form on it. kinda like a glass full of coke. And condensation is a BAD thing to have. so if you don't insulate the peltier properly then you'll have major condesations problems.

there some more for ya. . .

------------------
©××××ק===============
»»»»»»»»Cryonosis«««««««««
©××××ק===============
Cryonosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2000, 05:28 PM   #8
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

Just don't over from OverclockersHideout and approximately 73% of your problems are over with.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2000, 06:50 PM   #9
Joe

Danger Den has some nice looking Cu Blocks
Overclock-watercool ( twocpu is the ownerof OCWC on this forum) has some KILLER Silver based blocks!!!!!!!!!
CoolChip.com .. umm they will soon have some cool blocks up ( ask Buster on the forum hes the owner )

------------------
C-ya
Joe - Owner/Editor
www.ProCooling.com

Unread 12-15-2000, 07:52 PM   #10
twocpu
Banned For Being a Scam Artist

Quote:
Originally posted by squeese:
Ohh, and do I have to worry about any condensation? Btw, what the heck is a peltier ;P

Visit http://www.overclock-watercool.com/a_thermoelectric.htm

------------------
--
ICQ 1485210, MSN - twocpu
Computer Watercooling
And Overclocking Supplies
http://www.overclock-watercool.com
twocpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2000, 05:08 PM   #11
Memphis
Cooling Neophyte

Just a small question while on the subject..... what is the 'problem' with overclockershideout kits?

I've had a look at their kits and their milled blocks look just as good as Danger Den ones. Radiators are radiators..... do they steal your money or something?

Cheers

Memphis
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2001, 07:07 AM   #12
Freakyfrank
Cooling Savant

look out for the waterblock test..
Freakyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2001, 09:37 AM   #13
Joe

Well I am not a fan of most of their cooling setups. Keeping the heat produce'n pump IN your coolant = bad, Make'n blocks that have only one waterway to flow = bad, Using all plastic fittings = bad

Its more personal pref more then anything.

------------------
C-ya
Joe - Owner/Editor
www.ProCooling.com

Unread 01-12-2001, 10:08 AM   #14
UnaClocker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Memphis:
Just a small question while on the subject..... what is the 'problem' with overclockershideout kits?

I've had a look at their kits and their milled blocks look just as good as Danger Den ones. Radiators are radiators..... do they steal your money or something?

Cheers

Memphis
The simplest problem is the lag. You order from them, and then wait 3 weeks to get your order. I've seen several people complain about this, and it's standard practice for them to take that long.

------------------
Overclock till it goes BOOM!
http://members.tripod.com/UnaClocker
Watercooler extraordinaire!
UnaClocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2001, 03:59 PM   #15
Cablepro
Cooling Neophyte

I see the delay time before receiving from OCWC is posted as 2 weeks also...this sucks...I want to put together a setup, but I have to wait for EVERYTHING, heh...

should I also use a copper shim between the cold plate and the cpu when using the blocks that attach to the four holes in the KT7 board, so I don't risk damage?

also, I have a 300PSU right now for my T-bird system running 1400 @1.85V...one hard drive, video card, network card, cd-rom, burner...if I want to throw a 155W pelt(~124W@12V) in the mix, do you think a 430W enermax would cut it? so that I would be using ONE psu
Cablepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2001, 04:36 PM   #16
Joe

Thats something ALL places have right now. ( OCH's is just cause they are lazy).

Swiftec, OCWC, Danger Den, all build their blocks in small batches or custom so you need to wait.

its well worth it though.

------------------
C-ya
Joe - Owner/Editor
www.ProCooling.com