Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 08-31-2004, 11:51 PM   #1
mishy
Cooling Neophyte

TEC questions

hi there, my first post here, tho ive been viewin this forum for along time, seems its the place to be for these kinda questions!

right to tee off...
i got a Danger Den setup:
maze4 cpu,
maze4 gpu,
z-chipset block(dremmel'ed the Z flow pattern into more of a L)
L30 pump
1/2" clearflex
thermochill 120.2 + 2*12cm fans pull ontop of a 1.5cm shroud and one 12cm pushin.
water temp roughly 28-30 when room temp is 21c

now, i wanna start my world of pelts off with a nice and easy one, so im gonna do a 80w pelt on my maze4gpu.

The problem is, it is not the maze4 gpu 4in1 block that i have, so i need a suitable coldplate for it.

Is maze4 cold plated compatible with both the CPU and GPU maze4? :shrug:

cos i noticed a difference between specs of the maze4cpu/gpu 4in1...the max pelt size is different:cpu=5*5 gpu=4*4,
so if they are completely differnet: shud i go and get some raw copper(3/8"thick) or can i simply mod the maze4/maze3 coldplate.

next question is, thermal paste. do u guys agree with this: i shud have AS5 on the hot side of the pelt but ASC or AS3 on the cold side.

And im guessin i wont see much of an improvement using an 80w pelt on a voltmodded 9800pro?

Thanks very much for ur time.
Unread 09-01-2004, 05:21 AM   #2
Butcher
Thermophile

Maze 4 GPU has a different coldplate to the CPU version.
Don't think it much matters which thermal paste you use on each side really, although AS (all versions) aren't particularly good at low temperatures so you might want to use something else.
No you won't see much if any improvement with a 80W TEC on a 9800 pro.
Unread 09-01-2004, 01:02 PM   #3
mishy
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher
Maze 4 GPU has a different coldplate to the CPU version.
Don't think it much matters which thermal paste you use on each side really, although AS (all versions) aren't particularly good at low temperatures so you might want to use something else.
No you won't see much if any improvement with a 80W TEC on a 9800 pro.
wow, got an oldskool maze2,those are built like tanks!

after talkin some so called 'overclockin' shops it appeared i cud only sort this problem by buyin a brand new maze4 4in1. but then marci at over-clock.co.uk/ sorted me with the info, that shop and staff are sooo good!

what i learned(so others who search this forum can review) is that the coldplates are diff, like butcher said, but that isnt really the problem....
the plain maze4 has a raised section in the middle so it fits inside the ATI shims over the GPU, so basically i have to either buy a fresh 4in1(£60) or simply lap the enitre base to the same level, i greatly prefer the lappin option!!
apperently ppl were buyin the offical gpu coldplate hopin to upgrade their gpu blocks into 4in1 and sandwichin the pelt 4cm*4cm with an effective waterblock surface area of ~3cm!
so they had to stop 'displaying' those on the site! but for all those interested, marci at over-clock.co.uk said he will make them avaliable if asked(well to me anyway ).

as for the 9800pro/80watt i was just wounder kinda rough ball park figures i cud get

btw im really impressed with macri replies,didnt treat me like some kinda nOOb