Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-22-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
pure_rock_fury
Cooling Neophyte

Default The endless search for more info

As you can see I am new to these forums. I have attempted to get some information from other places and have just been unable to find it or get replies.

I am getting geared up for my first venture into watercooling and had a few questions about pressure, resistance and the sort. I am using a modded case that started it's life as an Alienware Area-51. I am currently in the process of stretching it out a few inches and am undecided on the issue of making it any taller.

The primary puzzle for me comes when I am planning my tubing run. I would like to route the tubing as neatly as possible, this of course is going to require a bit more umph from the pump to compensate. My question is how do I know when I am pushing it too far and what should I look for in a pump? With the increased space in the case, I would not be opposed to two pumps if needed or even two loops. I am just concerned about throwing in more tubing to make it look clean and ending up with a loop that will make a pump (or even worse, my hardware) cry like a little girl with a skinned knee.

Any tips, or a long in depth article you could give or provide a link to would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.
pure_rock_fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Default Re: The endless search for more info

You shouldn't need two pumps. You need to be more clear about your goals though. What temp do you need? Are you overclocking? How much noise do you mind? We have plenty of information on these forums if you search, but you need to know what you are looking for. Refining your goals will help.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
Long Haired Git
Cooling Savant

In my approximations, the tubing or size of the tubing makes very, very little difference to the results. Barb size does, but not tubing size. I think I did some modelling over at OCAU that showed 30m plus of 1/2 tubing made like 1/2 LPM difference. Worry not if you are staying in the case....
"Securing an environment of Windows platforms from abuse - external or internal - is akin to trying to install sprinklers in a fireworks factory where smoking on the job is permitted." (Prof. Gene Spafford)
My Rig, in all its glory, can be seen best here
AMD XP1600 @ 1530 Mhz | Soyo Dragon + | 256 Mb PC2700 DDRAM | 2 x 40 Gb 7200rpm in Raid-0 | Maze 2, eheim 1250, dual heater cores! | Full specifications (PCDB)

Long Haired Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #4
billbartuska
Cooling Savant

As a start: http://www.overclock.net/water-cooli...omponents.html
http://www.procooling.com/index.php?...icles&disp=131
http://www.overclockers.com/articles778/
Two Opticals and 120 gigs (w/28gigs in RAID0) on 4 Maxstors
billbartuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
pure_rock_fury
Cooling Neophyte

Thank you for all the info, Long Hair and billbart, those links made it pretty clear that I have alot more reading to do too. I am still in the planning phase and haven't bought any gear yet, so I am happy I found out all of this now. (Some of those articles made me a bit dizzy). I guess I didn't realize how complex this could get for a beginner. I will do some more reading and try and figure it all out. Thanks again

PS. On many of the other sites I looked at, there was nothing near this sort of in-depth information. (I suppose that explaines the "Pro" in the name of THIS site)
pure_rock_fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2006, 09:35 AM   #6
billbartuska
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure_rock_fury
PS. On many of the other sites I looked at, there was nothing near this sort of in-depth information. (I suppose that explaines the "Pro" in the name of THIS site)
Your question was reasonable and well stated...hence the answers were the same.

Just to spin your head a little more: http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...ght=fan+review
The French review is spectacular. use Google translate.
Two Opticals and 120 gigs (w/28gigs in RAID0) on 4 Maxstors
billbartuska is offline   Reply With Quote