Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 03-18-2003, 10:44 AM   #1
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Suggestion about confronting Water Cooling sites.

I would like to hear some input. I have a plan to put water cooling manufactuers on the spot light to get better details about their equipment and about them.

What I want to do is get a list of all the manufactuers that we can think of and then one by one posting a thread on each and pointing out the flaws of the sales pitch and the equipment. Then asking them to come and give us the info we demand. If we are satisfied with their answer then they can be put on a recommended list, if they do not respond or cannot backup anything they do then on the black list.

Being I have no money to move forward with my own projects it leaves me with sometime to do nothing. This would fill that void. I would also like to do this BEFORE the Tawanese companies start flooding the market with cheap water cooling stuff as unregistered pointed out that maybe possible in another thread.

Your thoughts?
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 10:59 AM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Right on.

Here are the manufacturers I know:

DangerDen

Geminicool

DTek
(they sell geminicool stuff, and collaborate on making some more, some may be completely on their own)

Swiftech

Now what's that other one pHaestus uses...

Otherwise, I think your efforts won't be taking seriously, if the comments are going to appear (and dissapear) in a forum thread. You might consider dedicating a webpage to this.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 11:18 AM   #3
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Email address for Hardware Labs (manufacturer of Black Ice radiators)
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 11:30 AM   #4
Pritorian
Cooling Savant

BB2k.

Innovatek.de

Others are:

Astek/Vapochill
Koolance
CPUFX / Overclockershideout

Cant think of any more... now.....
But it looks to be a nice project

-P-
Unread 03-18-2003, 01:33 PM   #5
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Well I just read and posted to your thread about Neomoses block the Evolution. In short, I'd suggest not only seeing what we may think of a block without perhaps anyone here having used it, but go to resellers ratings to get some idea(s) of how those who have used it like it. Do need to keep in mind though that those unhappy are way more likly to post than those with a positive experiance. So a maker with a high rateing from past customers should be given some respect for that fact.

With that said,

OCPC although the Atlantis has been tested by BillA.

There are some good german sites for blocks, perhaps Gmat and others from Europe can help there.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 02:09 PM   #6
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackeagle
Well I just read and posted to your thread about Neomoses block the Evolution. In short, I'd suggest not only seeing what we may think of a block without perhaps anyone here having used it, but go to resellers ratings to get some idea(s) of how those who have used it like it. Do need to keep in mind though that those unhappy are way more likly to post than those with a positive experiance. So a maker with a high rateing from past customers should be given some respect for that fact.

With that said,

OCPC although the Atlantis has been tested by BillA.

There are some good german sites for blocks, perhaps Gmat and others from Europe can help there.
I posted a reply to you in that thread. Hope you didn't take it to harshly.

I really do not care what people that own it think of it. My whole idea of this thread is to make the manufactures to post relavant info to back up their claims. If one company says they have the greatest thing ever but do not have any evidence to support that then who is to really know. And the people that buy it on that info think to DO have the best but have nothing to compare it to so IMO their feedback is utterly useless.

Also I want people that are looking for water cooling equipment to have a place to find better and relavant information to base their decision off of OTHER than what other users said (they cannot properly test a block and if they are buying a block do not know how to properly judge the materials and craftmanship of said block) and other than what is on the manufactures website (they usually choose NOT to properly test their blocks).
Unread 03-18-2003, 02:14 PM   #7
theetruscan
Cooling Neophyte

I think that with most companies the situation should be approached a little more delicately than it was in NeoMoses's case, or there would be no chance for an impartial reply. Having read much of what he posted in the past, I understand why he was approached in that manner. Even so, a little restraint will be needed to get the manufacturers to work with us.

Anyway, better hurry, Corsair's solution comes out soon, GlobalWin's solution by mid-April and on and on.
theetruscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 02:48 PM   #8
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by theetruscan
I think that with most companies the situation should be approached a little more delicately than it was in NeoMoses's case, or there would be no chance for an impartial reply. Having read much of what he posted in the past, I understand why he was approached in that manner. Even so, a little restraint will be needed to get the manufacturers to work with us.

Anyway, better hurry, Corsair's solution comes out soon, GlobalWin's solution by mid-April and on and on.
Well I thought my opening post in that thread was pretty gentle except maybe the WW rip off part. Where it went from there was still not that bad.
Non the less I am thinking about how to handle this and will get a hold of Joe later when I get home and get his input being this is his site. I may take the questions to be asked in an interview style and then maybe see if Joe wants to make a dedicated webpage for such with a link to a thread in the forums dedicated to that particlular manufacturer. That way the manufacturer doesn't have to view the flam fest and I can pull the valid questions out and add onto the webpage?
Unread 03-18-2003, 05:17 PM   #9
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

What? you mean to tell me all these damn big heatsink companies are going to come roll all over us... steal some of our brilliant ideas, and make millions on it, then turn around and sue us for stealing there patents...hmmm sounds about right to me....

I dono if you are going to get any cooperation from those big guys, They are not in it for the customers.... they are in it for the money, that's it. Nothing else counts.

come to think of it, it's probably already too late for any of us, that has something worth stealing.... they proly already snatched and packaged it with patent-pending stickers all printed and ready...
Unread 03-18-2003, 05:22 PM   #10
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

OR would you all rather the manufacturer participate in the thread with the questions? That is the way I invisioned it, but have doubts people can handle that and not so sure the manufacturer will be able to participate as often as we post the questions.

Anyway not only do I want more links, but please also bring up any questions you have about those manufactuers. I will construct a list of question and post them here for you all to "screen" first so no one will be insulted.
Unread 03-18-2003, 05:25 PM   #11
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by #Rotor
What? you mean to tell me all these damn big heatsink companies are going to come roll all over us... steal some of our brilliant ideas, and make millions on it, then turn around and sue us for stealing there patents...hmmm sounds about right to me....

I dono if you are going to get any cooperation from those big guys, They are not in it for the customers.... they are in it for the money, that's it. Nothing else counts.

come to think of it, it's probably already too late for any of us, that has something worth stealing.... they proly already snatched and packaged it with patent-pending stickers all printed and ready...
This is ecactly why I want to do this. If they refuse to answer then they are on the black list and not recommended to buy from and we all can do our part to send people that have questions about those manufacturers to the links about them.

I hear you though....

Last edited by jaydee116; 03-18-2003 at 05:48 PM.
Unread 03-18-2003, 05:35 PM   #12
theetruscan
Cooling Neophyte

OK, here are a few questions.

There has been a lot of talk about Corrosion and cracking, re. Aluminum and Acrylic specifically. I would be curious to see if we could get responses like the one D-Tek gave a bit ago regarding these issues.

However, I know of corrosion issues on one commercial block only. That is the Silverprop Cyclone 5, which was humorously enough explicitly not waranteed against corrosion unless it caused an actual leak within 6 months. Likewise, the only cracking I have heard of on a professional block was on a DD maze 3 (and only one at that).

Also, with commercial blocks, Aesthetics are often a major concern, I would be curious to know what the priorities were with manufacturers, re. their blocks.

Additionally, most commercial blocks are (to my knowledge, especially with the big companies) released after significant amounts of testing. What flow rates, tubing diameters, and the like did these companies optimize their blocks for?

Finally, I think we should address warrantee issues. Some blocks, again the Silverprop, come with a warantee that makes me wonder if the manufacturer has any confidence in the quality of their product. Finding precise warantee information is often not easy. I think that addressing that issue should give an effective feel for how much confidence a manufacturer has in their own product.
Unread 03-18-2003, 05:49 PM   #13
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by theetruscan
OK, here are a few questions.

I would be curious to see if we could get responses like the one D-Tek gave a bit ago regarding these issues.

Do you have a reference to that? I must have missed it....
Unread 03-18-2003, 05:55 PM   #14
theetruscan
Cooling Neophyte

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...?threadid=6014
Unread 03-18-2003, 06:57 PM   #15
UnloadeD
Cooling Savant

Interesting idea. I think the Interview method would be best. Specially if you emailed them a list of questions. This would give them a chance to go find the actual answers rather than giving you the canned PR spiel. I really doubt you'll get much useful from them. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

peace.
unloaded
UnloadeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 08:15 PM   #16
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I just sent Joe a PM to get his thoughts on the matter. I will get his approval before moving forward. I would rather this be a procooling project other than one of my own. I will certainly need assistance on equipment other than water blocks though as far as questions to ask. I do not know much about those items such as rads ect...
Unread 03-19-2003, 04:36 AM   #17
gmat
Thermophile

JD, good EU mfgers (who have shops) i know of, are:
Aquacomputer (CuPlex & TwinPlex series, AquaTube reservoir, i have some of their products):
http://www.aquacomputer.de/

OCPC UK (home of the Atlantis - owner is JessFM he's member of these forums):
http://overclockedpc.co.uk/

Innovatek (pHaestus' stuff):
http://innovatek.de/

Cooling Solutions (K4 waterblock, they have new blocks now):
http://www.cooling-solutions.de/

Low-noise
http://www.low-noise.de

And of course Zytrahus with his wonder Zytrablock (see the thread 'WB made in France' in Cooling News).

Now the ones i haven't been in relation with (try their 'wasserkhulung' section):
http://www.com-tra.de/
http://www.overclockingcard.de/
http://www.pc-cooling.de/

In the US there's also Cool Technica
http://www.cooltechnica.com/

Becooling
http://www.aquastealth.com/

OCH:
http://www.overclockershideout.com/
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2003, 12:18 PM   #18
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

No reply from Joe yet........
Unread 03-21-2003, 12:31 PM   #19
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Well, there's still a lot of work to do on this side.

Could we have a recap of the sites?

We need a technical evaluation of all the products that we're going to ask questions about.

I would recommend that you (JD), select some people to form a "technical review" group. It doesn't have to be a detailed analysis, a la BillA, just some good practical questions.

Are we doing blocks only, or is this to include rads, kits, etc?

BTW, I need another rundown on the corrosion issue, again...
Unread 03-21-2003, 01:06 PM   #20
winewood
Cooling Savant

If I may. I noticed that criticism can be undirected and impossible to avoid for some of the manufacturers IF they choose to participate. Frankly they may deem it not worth their time to post or answer anything off thier own protected sites. I don't know if a case can be presented in a forum where anyone can post and make judgements whom NEVER used a manufacturer, or have ANY experience. SINCE, this must be informative (ie. their particiaption) there must be well defined ground rules.

They way to guarantee this, and not focus unfairly or in greater proportion to some manufacturers and not others, the people preparing this should identify a non-changing list of questions. These questions should be clearly stated, and they shouldn't be slanted for not answering questions OFF the stated page later on.

I think this will be highly risky and non-productive for manufacturers if there isnt a filter from people making statements without A) Fact. B) Proof of Purchase C) Having sought out the purchasing comany 1st in due dilligence. I am reminded of Maximum PC's page called the "dogpound" (I read it.. not memorize it ) which is a warning about manufacturers. Note that this group also posts retractions, and corrections on topics that have previously been addressed. This encourages the manufacuterers to address and deal in good faith, therefore letting them correct issues and improve customer focus. Old perceptions aren't locked in.

Remember, I already attempted to dig in on an article from [H]. They posted some 'customers' opinion and sent me their statement. I asked for their email to verify. They could not, nor would not do so in any effort to back claims against a company. The offended company had yet to open and stated it didn't have any customers. This unchecked libel, and ability to not back up statements made against a company set a dangerous atmosphere that any company would look to avoid. I basically did what I am asking the administrator to do over this project. Failure to do show will prove that the truth is not what we are interested in, but conjecture, and we have that in the forums.

If there is careful and responsible administration, I am sure that this idea would put Procooling as an even better forum than it is now. I look forward to getting the data from this for my own use. These are my opinions. However, if they are left ignored I suspect the entire idea will be a joke, and not taken seriously. I hope this helps Jaydee's WONDERFUL idea become as sucessful as he desires.
Unread 03-21-2003, 02:30 PM   #21
jag_e_fattig
Cooling Savant

chip-con makes the prometia (don't know if it's eligible (sp?) for the list

AER - 05/29/87-10/26/03, I'll never forget.
jag_e_fattig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2003, 02:46 PM   #22
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I don't think that this is headed towards reviewing other site's reviews, but definitely, a clearer direction needs to be defined.

If I can suggest, AMDMB forums have mobo manufacturer supported forums. Maybe we should focus our efforts towards getting the major manufacturers to take the time to answer user questions in dedicated forums right here.
Unread 03-21-2003, 04:24 PM   #23
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I will not be able to respond to this thread untill Sunday after noon as I will be out of town. Once I get back I will try and address some of the posts above. Maybe Joe will have gotten of his ass and checked the PM box by then aswell.
Unread 03-23-2003, 09:58 PM   #24
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Well I am out. Maybe someone better suited can take it on if Joe ever bothers to reply. I think it is a good way to pressure manufatures to step up ot step out. There are better people here than me to take this on, some responded in this very thread.
Unread 03-23-2003, 10:18 PM   #25
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

Its a great idea, if iot can be kept in a posative light. Anyone who has ever ran a buisness, knows that there is never enoguht time in the day to get dedacated tasks done. Much less, take hours and repley to something like this.

Now as far as a "BLACK LIST" goes, that is not a fiar way of doing things. "You didnt answer our questions so you much be making crap and we cant recomend it" I dont think "WE" are possable of going that low.

Now making a list, and stating that the manufacture was unable to attend, or something a bit more posative will be fine. But just because someone doenst answer the questions, what ever there reasoning, doenst mean they should be abolished. Would you do that sort of thing to Danger Den if they said they hadnt the time to partisapate? Damn my spelling is crap these days.

FIX
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote