Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 10-11-2004, 03:54 PM   #76
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

different order of priorities
in the most simplistic of terms:
low noise and high 'design' vs. low cost
Zalman sells VERY well in Europe
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2004, 04:11 PM   #77
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag
As for the radiators, known for their volume and their difficult relation with pc cases, one example of a good integration is this one from 1a-cooling.de
Again no performance criteria here.
You can see what it looks like on a Lian-li 6077 case on their web site . Just srool down and the picture is there.
Given the thickness of those rads, I'd expect that to be a fairly noisy solution. I thought folks in Europe were big on low noise - or am I missing something here...?
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2004, 04:22 PM   #78
Jag
Cooling Savant

You asked:"I was thinking along the lines of 'how does one do low noise (or size or cost) better ?"

What are your own ideas on this subject?
What do you envision as a future WC platform?

Being the two models different from one another, which one is easier to implement, the low cost or the low noise?

Zalman combines a no-hassle instalation with low noise, especially the first.

The 1a-cooling comes with two 80mm Y.S.Tech fans 23db. Noisy?
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2004, 07:40 PM   #79
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag
The 1a-cooling comes with two 80mm Y.S.Tech fans 23db. Noisy?
Not to me - if the total is 23dB. I'd suspect more like 26 for both fans together but even that isn't noisy (just not really quiet). It looked as though the fins were really deep and fairly close together - something that would require some pressure. Pressure being something axial fans don't supply unless they're cranked up (i.e. making lots of noise).
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2004, 09:41 PM   #80
DrCR
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure
... maybe - which would mean not one of those L1As I'm so fond of - maybe Papst axials if they're OK with PWM)
Papsts don't like PWM very much. I posted about it here:
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...6&page=2&pp=33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure
Not to me - if the total is 23dB. I'd suspect more like 26 for both fans together but even that isn't noisy (just not really quiet). It looked as though the fins were really deep and fairly close together - something that would require some pressure. Pressure being something axial fans don't supply unless they're cranked up (i.e. making lots of noise).
Very true. YSTech isn't exactly a quiet computing leader though. Quiet computing is the eyes, er, ears of the beholder. But I am extremely doubtful that's 23dBA true to begin with.

DrCR

_________

Last edited by DrCR; 10-11-2004 at 09:48 PM.
DrCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2004, 10:19 PM   #81
DryFire
Cooling Savant

I would not be surprised if teh fans in open air gave on 23 dba alone. But with all the restrictions i highly doubt it.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2004, 10:42 AM   #82
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

fans are tested in an anechoic chamber with nothing around them
google for procedures
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2004, 02:49 PM   #83
HiProfile
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
Really the goal should be to work towards a world where the Procoolers were truly "pros of cooling optimization". That's the missing link: tying price, performance, noise, and size together to make the best tradeoffs for a given situation.

[snip] but awareness of what exactly one is sacrificing in either extreme really isn't clear to the average wcer I think. [snip]
The last part is really what needs to happen. I don't know if its just that they despise us or something, but most Europeans against overkill systems can only see their strengths and the other side's weaknesses. Although the same goes for a lot of us (not the despise part, I hope ). If there were two sections, it'd have to have severe moderation of topics/posts to prevent flamewars and 'fanboy' antics. The fact is, though, that people with big systems are being attacked for freedom of choice. Until several difinitive tests are done that all show about the same results, people just won't take off their imaginary crown & cede...

I don't think the requirements for the second section would hinge on the "Pro" idea, since this area is "extreme & phase change cooling" - if you can't understand that the title refers to pushing known boundaries, take more english courses. Just having 'phase-change' in there should announce the intentions of the section, since I've yet to hear of a person with the common European mindset use a promi for 'style', 'silence', and 'just enough' performance. Nothing says 'bling' like conformal waterproof coating & neoprene
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote