Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-22-2004, 09:15 AM   #51
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrii
Actually that there are two types of blowers shown, one forward inclined and onebackwards. Both have their advantages, forward is quieter, but reverse works non overloading, that is it works better against restrictions.
Any chances of posting links? I'd like to learn about the differences.
I'm guessing that forward inclined means the blades tip inwards in the direction of rotation? And so pull from the center and expel to the outside? (btw, the forum editor wants to change o-u-t-w-a-r-d-s to ****wards - is this some kind of rude language I don't know about?)
Backwards inclined means the reverse of this? Blades tipped to the outside? Flow towards the center? This would mean that, in spite of looking like centrifugal pumps, squirrel cage fans are actually using aerodynamic lift?
Thanks!
Bob
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2004, 09:53 AM   #52
Mars
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Actually that there are two types of blowers shown, one forward inclined and onebackwards. Both have their advantages, forward is quieter, but reverse works non overloading, that is it works better against restrictions. It'll be interesting to see results....too bad it's so hard to quantify noise levels.

Thank You! Finally,someone who see's the difference between the 2 fans besides me. The BLADES. They will perform differently, and I'm not sure how different. Big Ben, will make that decision when he is done.

Not, any squirel cage will do. They are not all designed the same.

How many 80mm 12v fans have you seen that have different cfm flow and rpm speeds. I've seen many.

Last edited by Mars; 07-22-2004 at 03:33 PM.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2004, 10:16 AM   #53
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

ok, so who is going to become the squirrel cage fan man ?
it is clear we need more info

I've got to believe that a blower configured to suck is different than one designed to blow
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2004, 12:36 PM   #54
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

jlrii just became our defacto "expert", just for coming up with that distinction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobuchi
What will you use to dampen vibration? Rubber washers?

I understand the issue you have, and I think now's the time to face it: This is one of the rare moments in your life where it's OK to use duct tape. It's really OK.

Larger blowers get connected/shrouded with heavyweight plasticized cloth. It won't rattle, and allows some play in installation. A lightweight plasticized cloth is duct tape.
Yeah, I'm there.

Rubber grommets will dampen the vibration from the blower. I'm in the process of putting a frame into the case, to hold it into place. A mix of steel and aluminium, a little riveting, etc. I have muffler tape, which would be ideal. The issue right now is that the fiberglass shroud I built just barely fits over the core, and the inlet/outlet actually interfere with it, a little bit. Otherwise, the core is already sitting on sticky foam strip insulation, again for sound dampening.

I'm also looking to paint the inside of the case in flat black, so I'm going to have to do this "American Chopper" style, i.e. build the raw components, assemble, then strip it all apart for painting, then re-assemble the whole kit-n-kaboodle.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2004, 01:19 PM   #55
greenman100
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Actually that there are two types of blowers shown, one forward inclined and onebackwards. Both have their advantages, forward is quieter, but reverse works non overloading, that is it works better against restrictions. It'll be interesting to see results....too bad it's so hard to quantify noise levels.
if it's a DC motor, can't you reverse polarity to reverse effective incline?
greenman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2004, 01:45 PM   #56
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
slick, be nice to test
any comparative 'feel' Bob ?
OK, this'll be my third attempt at replying. The Mozilla spell checker, when installed into firefox sometimes freezes firefox. I've done the uninstall everything / install different spell checker (actually same one but properly packaged for firefox) dance and am trying yet again (sigh...)

I do not recommend this impeller for anyone who's not primarily interested in silence. It has a tendency to shake when run at 12V, even when carefully installed. I'm using this one at 6V, and get about the same cooling (CPU diode but system otherwise exactly the same) as a single L1A at 7V (or two of 'em stacked at 5V) - and about the same noise level as the two L1As at 5V - so somewhere between 18 and 22dB.
It's an improvement over the two fans stacked as it's much smaller - and I get no change in my cooling when I replace the filter cover on the PC bezel (it's a FS020, radiator in lower front, pull only).

From looking at the Panaflo L1A fan curve for 7V, I'm probably getting 25CFM or less through the radiator.
I've been looking for one of the 5" or 6" cage fans from JapanServo (they seem to be the only cage fan manufacturers focused on making this kind of fan quieter).
I found what appear to be 4" 24V JS fans and ordered a couple to play with.

I am hoping that these might move the same amount of air at 12V as the one I'm using now does at 6V - but with a bit less noise.

Last edited by bobkoure; 07-22-2004 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typo (after all that time to get the spell checker working...)
Unread 07-22-2004, 02:50 PM   #57
Ruiner
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiBling
The Nidec Gamma 30 is about the size of a 120mm fan, if thats what you're after. They can be had for around $10 US.
Those look interesting. Has anyone tried them, shrouded and mounted on a heater core?
Ruiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 12:24 AM   #58
jlrii
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure
Any chances of posting links? I'd like to learn about the differences.
Link as requested
jlrii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 12:42 AM   #59
jlrii
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman100
if it's a DC motor, can't you reverse polarity to reverse effective incline?
Very different blade design + typical small dc fan motors no likey reverse polarity. A forward inclined blower has a lot of small blades cupped towards the direction of flow, run it backwards and you get practically no air movement. A reverse inclined blade has a lot fewer blades that are a lot straighter, same deal if run backwards...practically no flow. As BillA noted reverse inclined seen mostly in exhaust aplications, and forward inclined for supply. Not to imply that one couldn't be used for the other, it depends on the specifics of the setup.
Unread 07-23-2004, 06:14 AM   #60
sevisehda
Cooling Savant

Tonight at work I saw the biggest blower I've ever seen. The cage itself was about 30" in diameter and about 18" deep, no motor though. I'm guessing its part of an indutrial AC system since it was coming from Carrier.
HD's: 2x 160gb SATA RAID
GPU: Sapphire X800Pro VIVO -> XT Plat(softmod) 520/590
sevisehda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 01:26 PM   #61
greenman100
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Very different blade design + typical small dc fan motors no likey reverse polarity. A forward inclined blower has a lot of small blades cupped towards the direction of flow, run it backwards and you get practically no air movement. A reverse inclined blade has a lot fewer blades that are a lot straighter, same deal if run backwards...practically no flow. As BillA noted reverse inclined seen mostly in exhaust aplications, and forward inclined for supply. Not to imply that one couldn't be used for the other, it depends on the specifics of the setup.
thanks, you are right

reading supplied link now, I might add it is excellent
greenman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 08:49 PM   #62
Althornin
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars
Thank You! Finally,someone who see's the difference between the 2 fans besides me. The BLADES. They will perform differently, and I'm not sure how different. Big Ben, will make that decision when he is done.

Not, any squirel cage will do. They are not all designed the same.

How many 80mm 12v fans have you seen that have different cfm flow and rpm speeds. I've seen many.
Yes, but this isn't what people (myself included) were critisizing you about.
The blade differences dont affect the basic principles of the fans, which you seemed to have wrong:
Quote:
Your not understanding what I'm saying. The way the fan blades of the "Blower Motor" works is sort of like a water mill. Picture this: If the water mill spins at 5000 rpm it'll pick up the water and throw the water beside itself from the centrifugal force. Not in front of itself.

jlrii - thanks for the link - its interesting. I have a twin Radial "AW" blade type 120VAC blower that i am looking to build into a rad box. Looks like it'll do fine.

Last edited by Althornin; 07-23-2004 at 08:55 PM.
Althornin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 09:07 PM   #63
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Thanks for the link, very nice!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 11:03 PM   #64
jlrii
Cooling Savant

No prob. feels nice to provide info instead of just sucking it up a for a change.
Unread 07-24-2004, 09:35 AM   #65
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

A big "Thank You!" to jrlii! That document you linked did a good job of clearing up some confusion that I didn't even realize I had

It looks like the ComairRotron impellers I found at AllElectronics were "reverse" blades. According to that doc, these are best suited for suction, and, luckily enough, that's what I did with one of 'em. No wonder it worked fine without a housing. This means my previous statement about cage fans working fine for suction was an over-generalization on my part. Apologies to anyone I mislead with my ignorance.

As a "low noise" guy, I'm still interested in the JapanServo cage fans. I found some interesting air flow diagrams in this JapanServo cage fan brochure

This first is for a forward "sirocco" styled cage

The second is for the JapanServo modifications to it to lower noise output.

I find it interesting how the first part of the longer blades looks pretty much like reverse blades - that then turn the air "forward" with the aid of "helper blades" - and none of the blades curve forward as much as the "forward" blades in the first picture.

I'd still love to find a 5" or 6" JapanServo cage fan. If you run into one on the net, please let me know. Thanks!

Bob
Unread 07-24-2004, 11:32 AM   #66
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

While I'm at it (and only slightly tongue-in-cheek) if you don't care about noise, for $16 you can get a fan optimized for suction rated at 600CFM (looks like it might be used to provide suction for a "whole house" vacuum.

It might even be practical to but this thing in the basement and use lightweight 3" ducting (often sold in the US as plastic downspout - really cheap) to duct the suction up to wherever you need it...
Unread 07-24-2004, 11:38 AM   #67
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

deleted post

Last edited by BillA; 07-24-2004 at 01:47 PM. Reason: pointless post
Unread 07-24-2004, 01:30 PM   #68
jlrii
Cooling Savant

Just ordered some new pieces parts, decided to build a rad box. It "should" be fairly quiet using a "few" of the fans Zogthetroll came up with an a couple of real odd single pass heater cores I found. All going to fit in a Chenbro 19 in 4U rackmount case, with empasis on keeping external air velocities low. Will post pics when it gets put together, which may be a month or so (I'm lazy)

Last edited by jlrii; 07-25-2004 at 01:39 AM.
Unread 07-26-2004, 10:45 AM   #69
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I found what appear to be 4" 24V JS fans and ordered a couple to play with.
They move plenty of air through a 2" heater core at 12V (actually move plenty down to 7 or 8V but are (IMHO) loud (35 or 38 dB at a guess).
Upon disassembly and inspection, they are not the quiet bladed japanservo fans I was looking for, but a simple forward blade (will follow up with photos - probably uninteresting except that this cage fan pretty much fits where you'd put a 120mm axial fan - two of the three mounting holes line right up with the holes for a 120mm fan).
Bob
PS: anybody want 'em?
Unread 07-26-2004, 11:02 AM   #70
Ruiner
Cooling Savant

Do you mean they're too loud at 7-8v and louder than your L1A's at 7-8v?
Do they move more air than the L1a's at that speed/voltage/noise level?
Will they turn at 5v?

I suppose one advantage of that fan is they could be setup to exhaust out the side of the case easily w/o complicated shrouding.
Ruiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2004, 02:28 PM   #71
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Actually, the cut off voltage between useful flow and not is at about 9.25V (this for a 24V fan, remember)
At 9.25V it's definitely louder than a L1A at 7V, but definitely not as loud as a M1A at 12V (so somewhere between 25 and 35 dB). It doesn't get much louder until 11V or so. At 12V it's about the same as the M1A.
It's too loud for me (editorial comment).
It seems to suck/blow plenty of air at 9.25V. Attaching the radiator to the shroud doesn't seem to make much difference (so enough pressure that it isn't an issue pulling air through a 6x6x2 core)
I'd been hoping that these blowers would have the japan servo "silent" blades (sort of a cross between reverse and forward blades with helper blade-lets to help with the transition). They did not.

Anyway, it's a convenient sized package to mount on a coolshroud

and here's a picture of the blades

Note how they're cupped forward.

I'd love to see how a similarly sized package with the reverse/forward blades might do. From the JapanServo brochure it might be the SCBD or E1540 series.

I wonder if JapanServo would be willing to sell these in "quantity one" to a hobbyist...?
Unread 07-26-2004, 05:20 PM   #72
AntiBling
Cooling Savant

Here's the Nidec Gamma 30 I referred to earlier. Im using it to cool my biological processor. Hazy summer days in FL can be hell while idling in traffic on my bike. This really helps.
For regular PC use its a bit noisy compared to a comparable sized axial fan, although it does put all the output air in a small "footprint" ( good for heatsinks )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 216-1624_IMG.JPG (61.1 KB, 61 views)
Unread 07-26-2004, 05:38 PM   #73
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

too cool, LOL
Unread 07-26-2004, 07:34 PM   #74
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiBling
Hazy summer days in FL can be hell while idling in traffic on my bike.
At one point I had an AGV helmet with a pelt built in - heatsink along the top ridge of the helmet and a gel bag that sat on top of my head.
It worked - although where I would really have appreciated the extra cooling was on the track - and this helmet only had DOT (needed Snell M85).
No picture - sorry...
Unread 09-10-2004, 06:47 PM   #75
bwana
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars
Hey Ben, you have the blower motor positioned wrong. Unless, this is just a temporary install for the picture. The side of the cage should be pointing towards the radiator.
actually,the way it's set it will suck air through the rad then over the motor and then the air will slam into the sides of the case.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote