Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 07-16-2002, 07:15 PM   #1
artemis0007
Cooling Savant

Default Magnets?

Hi all!
I was planning on using some magnets (small, like refridgerator size) to hold a lexan door in place (so it doesn't swing out). I was wondering if the magnets would harm any of the electronics in the case? The magnets would be in the vicinity of a SCSI HDD, an Adaptec RAID card, a 92mm fan, a cold cathode inverter, RAM, and various IDE cables. Thanks for any help!
artemis0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2002, 07:28 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Nope, there will be no harm done. Not even close.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2002, 12:39 AM   #3
Khledar
Cooling Savant

Big Ben's got you covered! There's no where near enough power in those magnets to do any harm, keep in mind that all your fans are probably emitting more powerful magnetic fields than simple fridge magnets, and if you look at disk erasers back when people used disks these were more common, but they're big electromagnets which could probably lift an empty steel case, that's the kind of power you're looking at to erase disks through plastic, but I still dont suggest actually sticking magnets on things like hardrives. Also keep in mind that the only devices magnetic fields mess with are magnetic storage drives which includes HD's FDD's but not optical stuff or chips!

GL Modding

P4 2.4B @3.01Ghz 167FSB :: Abit IC7 :: 2x256MB HyperX PC3700 :: ASUS 9600XT :: WD Raptor 2x36GB RAID0
Khledar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2002, 10:31 AM   #4
ECUPirate
Hottest Stank of them All

so you could take a magnet to a cpu or a stick of ram, and not hurt anything?

(a bit rheotorical sp?, as I accidentally used a magnetic flathead screwdriver to spread my AS3 on my ram and cpu. still werks. )

my pimpin' rig: ...previously poorly cooled...
486DX-2 66mhz @ 75mhz, 4Mb ram, shared, 256Mb hard drive
Onboard VGA, watercooled, of course
16-color monitor, labtec speakers, 28kbs USRobotics modem
Windows XP (think about it)
Maze 3, DDen GF3 block, Eheim 1250, econoline van HC, 1/2" hose w/ 5/8" fittings Comair 172mm fan
ECUPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2002, 07:06 PM   #5
Khledar
Cooling Savant

Well using a magnet instead of a coldplate might not be the greatest idea :P But the magnet that I just now stuck on my video card ram chips really is doing nothing. Maybe if you were able to generate enough magnetic field you would be able to slow down or disrupt some electrical impulses through the chips but that would require a lot of magnetic power.

P4 2.4B @3.01Ghz 167FSB :: Abit IC7 :: 2x256MB HyperX PC3700 :: ASUS 9600XT :: WD Raptor 2x36GB RAID0
Khledar is offline   Reply With Quote