Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 02-04-2000, 10:07 AM   #1
Soundsout
Cooling Neophyte

Default Damage from not cooling correctly

I have (had) a PIII that came without a cooling unit to attach it to. I wanted to see if the chip worked so I connected it to the m/b and ran a household fan on it. Nothing functioned, ever. Once I got the Intel logo to come up (bios imbedded) and every reset I got a video card reset. Was the PIII bad? Or did my not adequatly cooling it ruin the chip?
Soundsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2000, 12:15 PM   #2
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Even a High end P3 takes a min or so to heat up to a nasty level if you dont have any cooling on it. But if you had SOME cooling on it (your fan) you should be fine for atleast 10 min of running before it gets to hot.

If it never fired all the way up, I would bet that either the CPU was DOA, or you have a setting wrong in the BIOS or clock speed (if its a jumper type MB).

Was the CPU hotter then hell when you were running it?

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2000, 12:29 PM   #3
Soundsout
Cooling Neophyte

The board is a jumperless board. The chip was definetly not functioning the first time I turned it on. So what you are saying is that to the best of your knowledge, during the first minute of power when I should have gotten a bios screen etc, that there is essentially no chance that I fried it....
Soundsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2000, 11:58 PM   #4
Joe

Yeh for the most part there is VERY little chance you damaged your chip in teh first min if it was a jumperless MB. Most all motherboards have a locked voltage to what ever the CPU needs. And also most soft set MB's are smart enuf to not damage a chip if it tries to run it at to high of a speed.

I think you are safe to say you didnt damage the chip in teh first boot by not having a heatsink on it. it should of atleast got to loading the OS before it had any trouble.

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Unread 02-15-2000, 03:46 PM   #5
Rich W
Cooling Neophyte

when I first installled my water cooler I hooked up the peltiers backwards.... the hot stide got really hot... the cold plate wasn't too hot too touch, just super hot.... I let it boot into windows and it crashed half way... guess it just overheated (Cele 400).. it now seems to work just fine though. close though, though.

Rich W.
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2000, 05:30 PM   #6
Joe

Wow you coulda had smoke and all happeneing there rather fast if you wouldnt have caught it!
Unread 12-23-2000, 11:09 AM   #7
Freakyfrank
Cooling Savant

pentIII en celII and maybe other intels have a build in thermal sensor.. when the chip gets too hot, the chip makes the computer stop..

theoretically you could NEVER burn up your CPU. unles you have a pelt backwards on your CPU ouch! above 80-90C it says POOF!

------------------
OC'ing is my middlename

[This message has been edited by Freakyfrank (edited 12-23-2000).]
Freakyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2001, 07:04 PM   #8
wadie
Cooling Neophyte

Really, I dont think you damaged yer chip due to overheating.

But heres a little story .
-- I had been rebuilding my friends Duron 700 setup into a new case for him at his house at a lanparty, and in my wisdom I forgot to plug in the cpu fan into its header, so we essentially had a passive cooler on this heat pissing cpu.

2 Hours of straight Q3 and Counterstrike and he was starting to experience crashes, so he rebooted (blaming it on Win98 .. *spit*) and noticed that his bios was flashing a warning and a current cpu temp box. 92 degrees Celsius. 92 DEGREES!, 8 off reaching boiling point!, I realised that this CPU was gonna die if I didnt do something, so in a hurry we shut it down, grabbed a house fan and blew on it for about a minute.. then i reached into the case and brushed my hand against the heatsink.. OWW!.

Eventually we got it cooled down to a safe temp (40^C or so) and rebooted.

Works fine!, but I can safely say we were verrry close to having a toasted cpu.

Never forget to plug in the fan kids .

------------------
-
Classic Athlon 650@750 w/ Globalwin FKK50, 256mb PC133, 32Mb Geforce 2 GTS, 40.9gb Maxtor DiamondMax 60+, 10gb Fujitsu Picobird, Pioneer DVD103-S, Ricoh RW7120A 12x burner, IBM Etherjet 100mbps NIC, Blueyonder 512kbps cable modem, top 92mm exausting blowhole, front 80mm intake, side 92mm intake blowhole, rear 60mm exaust, rear card exaust, blue orb on video card, heatsinks fitted to 756 chipset and PLL IC. Runs at 35^C full load.
wadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2001, 09:43 AM   #9
Freakyfrank
Cooling Savant

a guy at a local forum claimed his TB was 110C.. (!)

he was eating in another room and when he came back win was frozen.. reboot.. whaa!

but the chip still works..

and once i was changing some cards and shit in my pc (ATX) and the pc booted .. i quickly put my finger on the proc-die.. and turned the power off.. since then i've got a nice square print in my finger
Freakyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote