Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 01-21-2002, 03:17 PM   #1
dax
Cooling Neophyte

Default Rackmount project

this might be a totaly wicked idea... but i like it... I'm planning to build myself a small (only a couple of units) rack to put under my desk and mount all my pcs in (i think i could get away with 1-3U cases for most), and i know that the main problem with rackmount cases would be cooling... so i'm concidering to watercool them, but those rackmount cases don't really have the space in them to mount a rad and such (atleast not a big one), and neither do i want too many pump around... So i was thinking about adding a small part to the rack with one pump, one rad (or a chiller) and such and just connect the rackmounts to it (seems alot more practical).
Now my main problem is that i can't really use TECs as this would prolly heat up most of the pcs anyhow... so i'm really concidering a phase change waterchiller for this project (i don't really need freezing water... 15-20° C or so would be fine i guess... but lower = better...). Now I guess that I would have to build my own waterchiller for this (or does anyone has an idea where i could find a finished one?) as it needs to be pretty compact (i don't have much space actualy)... any pointers? ideas? should i drop the chiller idea and just go for a large rad? Or anyone with experience with waterchillers who is willing to give some comments or anything?
dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2002, 03:18 PM   #2
dax
Cooling Neophyte

omg i didn't notice i was still in the peltier forum... damn... that always happens to me...
Unread 01-21-2002, 07:32 PM   #3
Brad
Thermophile

why not have the top one a 3U rack with 3 or 4 pumps at the back of it, and a couple of big mama's at the top of the 3U case, have a whole pile of 120's blowing onto the rads.

You could have the front of the case as an inlet, with the top as the outlet
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2002, 09:31 AM   #4
dax
Cooling Neophyte

well, brad, i'm going to try to use as less pumps as possible, maybe just 1 big one even... and i know that i could easily use multiple heatercores... but i really like the waterchiller idea..
Unread 01-22-2002, 03:44 PM   #5
Brad
Thermophile

yeah, if you have one pump you will have to use a manifold or something like that though to send water to all the differant loops
Unread 01-23-2002, 08:20 AM   #6
dax
Cooling Neophyte

i'm aware of that, but my largest problem is still the chiller... should i build my own? as i think i need quite some capacity here...
Unread 01-23-2002, 03:17 PM   #7
Brad
Thermophile

I wouldn't bother with a chiller myself, it'd take up too much room, and you'd need a seriously powerful/huge/expensive chiller to keep all those cpu's under control.

I'd just go straight water cooling